MikeL417

Should I let the State Police know?

Bridgewater PD is requiring photo ID copy when you apply for FPID or pistol permits. As far as I know this is not lawful so should I tattle?

Mike

Bayonne took a photocopy of my license as well - didn't seem like a problem to me since they all have to match (DL, FID, P2P)

Mansfield Twp, Warren County- same thing for a P2P couple months ago. Don't see why it matters. It's not like they don't have all your info already, so let them photocopy it.

It's not the info they want, it's a picture to put with the info.

I'd contact NJ2AS and see what they recommend you do.

But does it MATTER? So they have a picture of me... so does the DMV, the gun range, and Costco. Seriously, I don't see why it matters? Whether it's the letter of the law or not, it's not like you're giving them info they wouldn't have access to anyway. Am I missing something?

Just a part of their "investigation" process. They want to positively ID you so they know they are giving a permit/license to the right person. Since we don't have mandated national or state ID systems, your DL is the next best thing and has kinda filled that purpose for decades...

Unless it is allowed per the statutes, yes you should inform them. I don't care what the reason for it is. It is either a legal requirement or not. If it isn't, and unless you comply they will not accept an application or issue an FPID, they are acting criminally. Why should anyone have to stand for that?

Unless it is allowed per the statutes, yes you should inform them. I don't care what the reason for it is. It is either a legal requirement or not. If it isn't, and unless you comply they will not accept an application or issue an FPID, they are acting criminally. Why should anyone have to stand for that?

You're right that we shouldn't have to stand for that (if it isn't required by law), but here in the PRNJ I'd rather not makes waves, get my permits and guns, and get on with my life, than cause possible "issues" with getting any more in the future....hell, I have to show my DL everytime I buy Sudafed for chrissakes.

I mean- really- the whole point is GETTING the gun(s), right?

I mean- really- the whole point is GETTING the gun(s), right?

That is the goal but I don't see it as the entire point. Letting police act like criminals when you might be able to do something about it just for sake of convenience? Well it is convenient, but still not right.

It's not required and shouldn't be need or asked for, Contact the NJ2AS on this.

For the folks who say, what's the big deal, well a lot of the BS all started from something small and grew into something biger, where does it end? Just something to think about.

That is the goal but I don't see it as the entire point. Letting police act like criminals when you might be able to do something about it just for sake of convenience? Well it is convenient, but still not right.

But again- it's more important that I get the guns I want than I "worry" about showing them my DL, which AGAIN- is something I have to do everytime I buy SUDAFED. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's not required and shouldn't be need or asked for, Contact the NJ2AS on this.

For the folks who say, what's the big deal, well a lot of the BS all started from something small and grew into something biger, where does it end? Just something to think about.

I don't disagree with that, BUT- your DL has ALREADY been made the primary source of ID for your WHOLE LIFE. Showing it to obtain an FID, or a P2P is NOTHING. Not only is it not a big deal, it isn't a deal at all. Tell me, how would this particular scenario "escalate"? They ALREADY have my info, my SS#, my picture, my DL#.... what will they demand next? A urine sample?

Actually... it wouldn't surprise me in the least if PRNJ demanded a piss test to prove you aren't on drugs to get an FID or P2P... hmmm..... you know what? I'll agree to that- the day the make the welfare recipients and food stamp recipients take the same test.

But back on point, you're only giving them something they ALREADY HAVE, not something "extra" that they don't have. I still don't see the conflict.

Bridgewater PD is requiring photo ID copy when you apply for FPID or pistol permits. As far as I know this is not lawful so should I tattle?

Mike

Dumb bastard (Lt. Richard Butler) took my pic with a Polaroid when I picked up my FOID years ago. I should have given the idiot the finger.

But again- it's more important that I get the guns I want than I "worry" about showing them my DL, which AGAIN- is something I have to do everytime I buy SUDAFED. You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill.

You give a little, they take a lot. You add up molehills and eventually you have a mountain.But it's all about convenience nowadays.

Do you give them a copy of your ID too? Are they using their authority as a pharmacist to infringe on a constitutional right in addition to violating the very rules/laws that govern them?

Until I can be given a pass for committing crimes, I see police getting a pass for doing the same a big deal.

Do you give them a copy of your ID too? Are they using their authority as a pharmacist to infringe on a constitutional right in addition to violating the very rules/laws that govern them?

It's the LAW. The sudafed is kept BEHIND the counter now, and your purchase is verified by photo ID as well as cataloged into a computer. Thanks to the druggies who turn sudafed into some kind of speed or something. More BS feel-good legislation.

So the police are "committing a crime" when they check your ID for a P2P? You guys are being ridiculous- and i consider myself a hardcore defender of liberty. They get to see your ID when they pull you over. DMV creates the damn thing. The pharmacists scans it when you buy cold medicine. In this instance, I don't see the slippery slope. If you've had to provide photo ID to obtain your FID (which if I'm not mistaken, you DO have to, right? It's been many years since I got mine), than what in the hell difference does it make to let them see it again at P2P time? Even if they are not following the letter of the law, there's no slippery slope here. And if there is, I'd love to hear it. You are only giving them information they ALREADY HAVE.

When you open a credit card they ask for your SS#. If you call wanting information about the account- say, to change a pin number- they ask for your SS#. Do you refuse to give it to them? THEY ALREADY HAVE IT. More important to give them info they already have, and get your pin number changed, for your security.

Better to let the PD have your license so you can get your guns (and future ones) without headaches (and possible delays because your a PITA), for your security.

But whatever guys- do what you gotta do. Refuse to give them your DL, don't get your permits until the end of a lengthy court battle, wait forever to purchase your next weapons, whatever.

It's not the fact that it's easy, or not a big deal, it's that it's not part of the process. P2P's weren't part of the process, heck my drivers license didn't even have a picture for years and now it does. Used to be you could just walk into a gun shop, Pawn Shop, Gas Station, Hardware Store etc and just show them your DL and leave with what you wanted.

Not the case in many places these days, why, they asked for a little, we gave a little, they took more and more and we are in the boat we are in now, whats next? What I am saying, it's not a convenience thing, it's a what's the next thing and where does it stop?

After all the 2A is not a privilege, IT'S A RIGHT..

They never asked for a copy of my license

Me Either, but let me tell ya, not that I want to see the pic again, but if they ever asked you for a picture I'd love to be there when you showed them your pose with the Shotty and see their response.

Me Either, but let me tell ya, not that I want to see the pic again, but if they ever asked you for a picture I'd love to be there when you showed them your pose with the Shotty and see their response.

they've seen it, they are members here

Its just ur licence. Probably just want to put a face to the application. Its not a big deal. They arent adding a new step to the application process by doing this. You should be happy they are doing this. Who is to say im not using some random name that I got info on to acquire a fid andthen go on a shshooting rampage with guns registered to that random person.

Its just ur licence. Probably just want to put a face to the application. Its not a big deal. They arent adding a new step to the application process by doing this. You should be happy they are doing this. Who is to say im not using some random name that I got info on to acquire a fid andthen go on a shshooting rampage with guns registered to that random person.