Bubba-NJ

In the market for a Durable 22 lr semi-auto pistol

So I've been looking at reviews of 22lr semi-auto pistols til I'm blue in the face. Sig mosquito is hit or miss, Walther P22 is hit or miss, Ruger SR22 has some issues with parts breaking. I was all set to go get the Ruger when I stumbled across some negative you tube reviews. So I've been thinking about a S&W m&p 22 , a Colt/Umarex 1911-22, Maybe a Browning Buck mark camper if I can find one, Sig 1911-22 possibly. The most important factors for this gun is that it be durable and last a lifetime, fun to shoot and accurate. I'm open to any and all suggestions. Need not be competition quality, $400-$500 range preferably. Thank you for your help.

I had the M&P 22, fun gun to shoot, a little too light though. I would not consider the M&P 22, SR22, or P22 to be all that accurate or durable enough to be considered a lifelong gun. I now have the Sig 1911-22 and while it definitely more substantial, I don't know how the long term durability will play out. It's also not exactly a bullseye gun either. Accurate enough for my uses though. All of these are great plinkers and fine for most shooting comps, except bullseye. Have you looked at the Ruger MKII or MKIII? Long history or durability and accuracy. I still need to pick up a MKIII Hunter eventually.

Just purchased the 22/45 lite this fall, shot it this weekend. I purchased it because of the background and reliability of the mk1,2,and 3. It ate federal bulk with no issues..i used two mags it came with and 3 new ones i purchased all functioned without a problem.

Only issue i have with it the mag pops but does not drop free so you have to pull it out, i did find a button that will let it drop out so that is on my order list.

I installed the fiber optic site.

025-2.jpg

Ruger Mark III Hunter! I bought one of these earlier this year and it's an awesome pistol. It's a solid, well made and super accurate gun and will last forever as long as you take care of it. I honestly believe this gun can be handed down to your kids or grandkids, as long as it's maintained properly. I put a red dot sight on mine and I've been accurate with it out to 100 yrds, shooting off hand. I would have never thought I could be accurate at those distances with a pistol, but this pistol rocks.

Ruger MKII/MKIII/22/45. There is no .22 semiauto more bulletproof that it.

I would buy a vat of nuclear waste if it was shiny and had the Beretta Logo on it, but the Ruger MKII is a fine pistol, and much more classic than the NEOS.

Ruger Mark III Hunter! I bought one of these earlier this year and it's an awesome pistol. It's a solid, well made and super accurate gun and will last forever as long as you take care of it. I honestly believe this gun can be handed down to your kids or grandkids, as long as it's maintained properly. I put a red dot sight on mine and I've been accurate with it out to 100 yrds, shooting off hand. I would have never thought I could be accurate at those distances with a pistol, but this pistol rocks.

+1. I have the one with the longer barrel.

10118.jpg

Find a used Ruger MKII with a bull barrel. Order the Volquartzen Trigger Kit, Houge wraparound grips, and your GTG.

This model Ruger is a tank. Almost all used ones are no where near used to their capabilities. Most were closet queen first purchase guns that were set aside when the second gun (9MM) was purchased.

My CZ Kadet has been absolutely perfect. With about 1k rounds through it of Fed Bulk Pack I have yet to have any kind of failure. I originally bought a CZ 75B in 9mm matte stainless as a BBQ gun, then got the Kadet conversion. Since the arrival of the conversion .22LR is all I use it for.

+1. I have the one with the longer barrel.

10118.jpg

Yep. I have that same one... the longer barrel makes a big difference for those long range shots. I've also upgraded a lot of the trigger group parts with Volquartsen parts and it's just an amazing shooter now.

Although many have chosen to upgrade various components, I decided to leave mine alone, as I'm not that much of a stickler. I think it performs just fine out of the box. I did replace the grips with a wrap-around grip from Hogues. It allows me to grip the gun a bit sturdier.

Although many have chosen to upgrade various components, I decided to leave mine alone, as I'm not that much of a stickler. I think it performs just fine out of the box. I did replace the grips with a wrap-around grip from Hogues. It allows me to grip the gun a bit sturdier.

The stock trigger parts are good, especially after the pistol has been used a bit and been broken in... but it's a night and day difference once you put the Volquartsen parts in. If you lived nearby, I'd tell you to meet me at the range so you could try it out... You'd be surprised how much nice it makes this pistol to shoot. If you're ever up this way in Hunterdon County... let me know and I'd be glad to let you try mine out.

How do you like the wrap-around grip? That's one of the future upgrades I'm considering as I have big hands and the stock grips are somewhat slim for me.

The stock trigger parts are good, especially after the pistol has been used a bit and been broken in... but it's a night and day difference once you put the Volquartsen parts in. If you lived nearby, I'd tell you to meet me at the range so you could try it out... You'd be surprised how much nice it makes this pistol to shoot. If you're ever up this way in Hunterdon County... let me know and I'd be glad to let you try mine out.

How do you like the wrap-around grip? That's one of the future upgrades I'm considering as I have big hands and the stock grips are somewhat slim for me.

I don't want to derail the OP's thread, so I'll make it quick :). Thanks for the offer and yes, I love that grip for the same reason you mentioned. I wanted something a bit thicker for my large hands. It works well.

Another ruger vote, but I'll put mine on the 22/45. Replace the bushing to get rid of the mag disconnect and add the volquartsen trigger parts and you've got not only a totally reliable and accurate pistol, but also a really sweet shooter. Affordable with a bunch of aftermarket support too. Have about 1500 rounds through mine this summer and never had a single failure.

First off. Thanks for all the suggestions. Today I went to Bobs Little Sport shop in Glassboro because they carry Browning and Ruger pistols. I held several Buckmarks and a couple Mark III's. They didn't have the Mark III Hunter in stock so maybe next time. I purchased a Buck Mark Plus UDX. Really like the fit and feel of this firearm in my hand. post-5528-0-90129500-1356828154_thumb.jpg Also held a S&W 22A but the grip was huge.

For an all-round gun, I am very pleased with the M&P 22 and it has become a favorite. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Ruger's, either. For versatility, I would get the Ruger 22/45 Lite (or the 22/45 Black Lite if I could find one), and for durability, I would look at a Ruger Mark II stainless in mint condition with a bull barrel (or Mark III if you like the mag release button and hole in the side of chamber for round indicator). The SR-22 seems to be quite reliable, and I cannot say I wouldn't want to have one for plinking, but, given the choice between it and a second M&P 22, I would probably go with the M&P, unless I could readily carry, then the smaller .22 might be nice for that.

But, I have the most fun with the S&W M&P 22 and like it enough I would like to get a second. If I knew it had long-term reliability and durability, I would probably trade all of my other 22s and just hold onto it. I like the ergonomics so much on it that now I want a full-size M&P. The only things that could be better on it is if it had interchangeable back straps and more durable sights.

I haven't read this whole thread and I saw your title, but a nice .22 revolver might also be a thought if durability is paramount. Other thoughts would be a Beretta 87 Cheetah or a CZ 75 Kadet.

I also have a 22a. 7" barrel and love it. It isn't without it's faults. I had to get used to the mag release being pressed by my middle finger.

It hasn't given me an issue after putting many many many boxes of federal bulk thru it. I've used it in Bullseye and love it. Also use it at PPC.

I also like that I can swap it to a shorter barrel if wanted.

Take down for cleaning is easy with one button and a hand hold.

I also vote for the Mark III that will be one of my next purchases. I will have an M&P22 in a couple weeks.

I agree with you guys 22s are great.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2