Barms

Rifle / shotgun hits my ear muffs..

okay, you guys have helped me with glasses/goggles, you've helped me with a cap/hat..

now help me with when i run a rifle or shotgun when i get my cheek down there the buttstock moves my ear muffs..

i shoot indoors only (for now).. and i've just recently gone from just muffs to plugs + muffs (on advice from the board, and yes, i am pretty anally protective about my hearing).

everytime i bring my rifle up to aim it knocks my ear muffs.. do i just grin and bear it? I can't help but thinking it is impeding the effectiveness of the tight seal on the muffs..

I am currently using the Leight electronic muffs which i thought were low profile just for that purpose.

what's your guys advice/experience?

I use these (the 31 NRR rated ones)...

http://www.sensgard.com/

...and only these - indoors or out. Still sounds loud but the intensity is less - don't know how else to put it. They are an acquired taste, but they are very comfortable for long wear and don't get in the way of anything.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

...and only these - indoors or out. Still sounds loud but the intensity is less - don't know how else to put it. They are an acquired taste, but they are very comfortable for long wear and don't get in the way of anything.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have these also, they are great. No batteries, can hear a conversation, great noise reduction. I use mine only for outdoors, a bit too loud for me indoors. Keeps your ears cool in the hot sun, unlike the full muffs.

Thanks Bob... I need something like that too. Headsets are rough especially in warm weather.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

As I said, these are an acquired taste. You will probably be surprised at how loud the gunshots still sound, until you realize that it isn't "painful". As I said, they seem to lessen the intensity. Their website goes into a technical explanation of how they work. I know two things: 1) The evaluation for the noise reduction rating is consistent product to product and these earned a 31 - which is very high; and, 2) They work for me.

Probably cheapest on Ebay or Amazon.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

no.. first thing they determine in NRA intro class is which eye is dominant..

i'm kinda shocked how nobody has a similar issue? or the stock nudges their muffs and they just don't notice.. look i'm not saying the stock completely smushes my earmuffs like i'm uncoordinated and its bashing into my ears.. i'm saying about an "inch" nudges the bottom of the ear muff as i get my eyes down to sight level..

I mean, even check out Vlad's avatar above.. if he was wearing ear muffs you don't think the bottom of the muffs would be touching/nudging that butt stock? its just that little annoyance..

Most decent muffs are beveled at the bottom just for that reason. They don't hit the stocks in most cases. I have a good pair that are bevelled and a cheaper pair that don't. So it depends.

i'm kinda shocked how nobody has a similar issue? or the stock nudges their muffs and they just don't notice.. look i'm not saying the stock completely smushes my earmuffs like i'm uncoordinated and its bashing into my ears.. i'm saying about an "inch" nudges the bottom of the ear muff as i get my eyes down to sight level..

I mean, even check out Vlad's avatar above.. if he was wearing ear muffs you don't think the bottom of the muffs would be touching/nudging that butt stock? its just that little annoyance..

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Earplugs all the way. And that is one of my biggest reasons as to why I always use them, because I can't get a good cheek weld on any rifle wearing muffs.

The only time I use muffs is...well, very rarely.

+1 i hardly use ear muffs just when i am shooting pistols. any long gun and they bump the stock and i cant get my head in thr right place.

I hate wearing ear muffs and shooting a rifle or shotgun. I use the Surefire ear plugs. They are great. I have a set that has lasted me 6 months and for $12, I will just buy a few and replace when needed.

They are great in the warm weather also. I shoot at least once a week and they are awesome imo. They took a few times wearing to get used to though.

+1 i hardly use ear muffs just when i am shooting pistols. any long gun and they bump the stock and i cant get my head in thr right place.

+1000000 That is why i always keep a big tub of plugs in the range bag.

Sounds like you're not bringing your shoulder up enough to properly sight your rifle. Have someone watch you shoot to see if your form is correct. If that's not the problem, you're going to have to find a set that works for you. I also wear plugs and muffs when I shoot magnums and find that because of the plugs, I can use a much thinner set of ear muffs without a problem.

I use Hearos plugs + Peltor muffs for indoor shooting, but for rifle shooting, I'm also having some issues with my Peltors. I'd like to just wear the Hearos plugs, but because they are skin colored, I figured it could get some attention from RSOs. Still trying to come up with a solution.

thanks for all the responses guys.. but for the guys who said they wear plugs only.. is that INDOORS?? you are okay with the level of protection of plugs INDOOR?

Most people do muff only indoors, and plugs are better protection. i would take plugs over ear muffs anyday, BUT, bothin doors is best for overall comfort, your not going to hurt your ears with just plugs indoors, but it will still be loud. At -32 db's you can effectively shoot up to 160db's before your ears are effected.

My run-of-the-mill Field and Stream ear muffs get pushed up and back by most stocks but not enough to break the seal. If I was shooting a long gun indoors for whatever reason I would definitely use a plug on that side in addition to the ear muffs.