Sign in to follow this  
Albanian

Your views on fully automatic weapons.

I am just wondering what you guys think of the sale of fully automatic weapons to civilians and whether it should be legal.

Personally, I think it should be legal.

Should be legal, unregistered.

But then again I'm just a crazy libertarian, what do I know...

http://www.guncite.com/gun_control_gcfullau.html

This should answer your questions.

There is some form of a ban by way of prohibition on new manufacture weapons. Purchase and transfer of pre-1986 full-auto weapons must be registered. Due to their relative scarcity, they are all prohibitively expensive.

Really? Please relieve me of my ignorance. I thought there was a federal ban on fully automatic weapons. Maybe I will just use Google haha

You're thinking of the 1986 issue.

No MG produced after 1986 can be transferred to a civilian. These are called post samples and need their own stuff for L.E.

I will say, I'm happy that FA weapons aren't easily accessible in this country. In most places it is easy to get a rifle or shotgun, and it shouldn't be easy to get an M16. That being said, I don't know the happy medium of accessibility of those weapons and restriction. I definitely think extra care needs to be taken, I wouldn't want my neighbor keeping an M16 in his closet.

I think it's great that people can own them, and an anonymous forum member was even kind enough to let me spray ammo using his legal registered M16 and M11 (could be mistaken on the second) out of state.

I guess what I'm saying is I support the right to own FA weapons, and I like that they are in a class of their own. I don't know how restricted that class should be. It shouldn't be more restricted that what it is already.

I'd really like a FA 22, anything center fire is too expensive for my blood.

People think the high volume of fire is a massive laser wall of death that will kill anything in front of it. Not true at all. Fully automatic fire is highly erratic (especially when "spray firing from the hip" as many journalists would have you believe they are solely made for). That said, I believe the hughes amendment should be repealed and that full auto weaponry should be regulated no more than regular weaponry is.

People think the high volume of fire is a massive laser wall of death that will kill anything in front of it. Not true at all. Fully automatic fire is highly erratic (especially when "spray firing from the hip" as many journalists would have you believe they are solely made for). That said, I believe the hughes amendment should be repealed and that full auto weaponry should be regulated no more than regular weaponry is.

I understand your post and agree in theory, but in practice I have seen many gun owners who are blatantly unsafe. Giving a gun thats harder to control to those individuals wont end well.

I understand your post and agree in theory, but in practice I have seen many gun owners who are blatantly unsafe. Giving a gun thats harder to control to those individuals wont end well.

That's more a "stupid" problem than it is an availability problem. That could be fixed with training, however I do see why people are apprehensive about giving the government the ability to mandate training or other stipulations to exercise a constitutional right (though they already do this in many areas of the country). I see your point though. I'd say add firearms safety and programs like Eddie Eagle to school curriculums, but of course you'd have the soccer moms and the uninformed yelling out that they don't want their kids to become mass murderers (because everyone who learns to shoot is a mass murderer, like all those police officers who we expect to save us when the bad guys with guns show up :shok: ).

Ah okay, thanks for the links and explanations guys. I understand the current laws better now. I would like to see them repealed. As mentioned, full auto weapons are, if anything, more innaccurate and ammo is wasted quickly. It is more of a rights thing in my mind.

Red: No Go

Green: Go

Note that NJ is green in the map for "machine guns". There is a procedure where one can get a permit for a FA weapon in NJ. The fact is no one has been given one.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a variety of FA weapons due to my LE and military background. I can understand the novelty if you've never shot one. The idea that FA fire is inaccurate is well...inaccurate. some FA weapons, like a M60, are designed to be not that accurate. They are designed to produce a cone of fire. Along with the weapon the level of training of the operator is a very big factor in how accurate a FA weapon can be. Give me a BAR, MP5, or M4 and you would be surprised how accurate they can be. I would need a little practice with the BAR as I haven't fired one in a while.

I have no issues with any trained shooter owning a FA weapon. I also realize that the 2A has no training clause. Would I own one? Not at the inflated prices the post 86 ban has created. About the cheapest you can go is a M2 kit for a 30 carbine at about $5000. I think use of FA is very limited by LE and civilian use even less. That doesn't mean I think you shouldn't be able to own one for fun.

Note that NJ is green in the map for "machine guns". There is a procedure where one can get a permit for a FA weapon in NJ. The fact is no one has been given one.

I've had the opportunity to shoot a variety of FA weapons due to my LE and military background. I can understand the novelty if you've never shot one. The idea that FA fire is inaccurate is well...inaccurate. some FA weapons, like a M60, are designed to be not that accurate. They are designed to produce a cone of fire. Along with the weapon the level of training of the operator is a very big factor in how accurate a FA weapon can be. Give me a BAR, MP5, or M4 and you would be surprised how accurate they can be. I would need a little practice with the BAR as I haven't fired one in a while.

I have no issues with any trained shooter owning a FA weapon. I also realize that the 2A has no training clause. Would I own one? Not at the inflated prices the post 86 ban has created. About the cheapest you can go is a M2 kit for a 30 carbine at about $5000. I think use of FA is very limited by LE and civilian use even less. That doesn't mean I think you shouldn't be able to own one for fun.

My bad, I didn't really mean to generalize with that post. What I meant was more of that whole media image of a man spraying from the hip with an M16 or AK variant and hitting everything with absolute precision. Y'know, the way they go on and on about "Oh, but this weapon can shoot 1000 rounds per minute!!!!" as if every single round is a laser guided missile that will hit the brain of each and every intended target. Not to say that those weapons aren't accurate.

My bad, I didn't really mean to generalize with that post. What I meant was more of that whole media image of a man spraying from the hip with an M16 or AK variant and hitting everything with absolute precision. Y'know, the way they go on and on about "Oh, but this weapon can shoot 1000 rounds per minute!!!!" as if every single round is a laser guided missile that will hit the brain of each and every intended target. Not to say that those weapons aren't accurate.

No apology required you have a valid point. I know a few guys who fought in Rhodesia back in the 70s. They said getting shot by most of the Marxist terrorists (who now run the country, I'll refrain from making a political comment) was unlikely. Armed with an AK or a stolen FN/FAL the terrorists would keep the selector in FA. If the first 1 or 2 rounds didn't hit you the rest of the magazine was emptied in the air.

Fully automatic guns are legal in many states where they trust their citizens, nj is not one of them, heck we dont even allow concealed carry. Automatic licensed weapons are just about the safest product I have ever known, well at least the ones owned by civilians. Since 1934 when the feds began civilian registering their automatic weapons their has only been ONE instance of misuse, and that person was a cop. Name another product with that safety record. In the hands of police its a different story, remember the cop in toms river who lost it with his mp5? Amazing how across the delaware they trust their people, in nj, no trust.

I think it should be just like any other gun. But I will say they are fun to shoot. But paying for ammo isn't so much fun. The novelty wears off. You blow through a 30 round mag in seconds

ebu8u2up.jpg

Yes the gun is a legal select fire m4

Fully automatic guns are legal in many states where they trust their citizens, nj is not one of them, heck we dont even allow concealed carry. Automatic licensed weapons are just about the safest product I have ever known, well at least the ones owned by civilians. Since 1934 when the feds began civilian registering their automatic weapons their has only been ONE instance of misuse, and that person was a cop. Name another product with that safety record. In the hands of police its a different story, remember the cop in toms river who lost it with his mp5? Amazing how across the delaware they trust their people, in nj, no trust.

Do you have a sorce for that?

Here's something to think about...

With proper training we give FA and other VERY destructive stuff to our 18 year olds in the military on foreign soil.

But get on the plane to come home and you surrender your weapons. Why?

Another thing that pisses me off is, old enough to die for your country but not have a beer.

Considering the millions of post sample machine guns in SOT hands plus all the transferable ones in private citizen's hands are silent every day and not used in crimes, the machine gun itself is not the cause of the problem. Handing one to someone who has only ever owned semi-auto guns does not instantly make them a killer. It's not like playing Tag at recess..."Tag, you have the machine gun, now you have to go kill kids!" Nope, not like that. Personally, I think they should be as unregulated as semi-autos should be. But then again, I don't see the phrase, "shall not be infringed" as very confusing either.

it's an assault weapons ban, which i don't support.

See people, we already lost part of our second amendment with this law. What else do you want to give up?

When you point it out like that your right.

I didn't really have a feeling on them one way or another. I have never had the opportunity to fire any and from what I have read and or seen they seem to be some what of a novelty. But Ray Ray has a point. If you give them one they will them take all.

I probably couldn't afford to shoot full auto haha. I'd love to at least try it once, just never had the opportunity. I would like my AR to have 3 round burst on the selector though.

A friend of mine told me something funny regarding machine guns. He said you want to own them until after the first range day and you tally up how much ammo you burned through. Then you just want your friends to have them. :lol: