iRescue

Shore Shot: Spikes stripped lower - $390

As the title says...

Per their Fb page... Shore Shot just got a shipment of Spikes tactical lowers in. They are charging $390 a pop!!

Seriously? No way that price hike can be "coming from the manufacturer"

They're also cautioning their customers to "buy now because once prices go up, manufacturers won't return them to original prices."

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy - but how can they charge $250 more then 3 weeks ago. During Sandy businesses were getting slammed by the AG's office for gouging... Why not now? Is it because they are dealing guns?

Bogus.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

The cost on lowers did go up from the mfr..... But I doubt they went up from 85 or so up to over $250.

You do see them on gunbroker, and even $250 is a lot but justifiable...... $390?????????

Remember, high prices are relative.

C

EVERYBODY is in a panic buying everything they can get their grubby paws on. Social media (including this forum) is throwing gasoline on the fire........

What all you complainers have to consider, from a business point of view, is that it doesn't matter what something costs a store to put said item on the shelf to begin with. In this case a "lower". Most stores update their prices to be in-line with what they anticipate the replacement cost will be to put it back on the shelf once it's sold. As wholesale prices skyrocket overnight on this stuff, a store must make what the market will bear so as to not lose money when conducting future transactions. Like it or not, all of you kids are getting a lesson in free-market supply and demand. If you would all just stop clamoring for this stuff, the prices would stabilize (somewhat).

Maybe in the future in addition to the Strategic Oil Reserve we need a Strategic AR-15 Reserve, from which the NRA could entertain the notion of making a few additional million pieces available, lol!

As long as there is an A-Hole willing to pay $500 for a stripped lower, that's what they new price will be..........and IF there is any real BAN, $500 will be a cheap price on the black market......

I don't care what anyone says about the market this or people will pay that or its because they need to pay their employees blah blah blah

Shore shot is ripping people off. Luckily I'm not dumb enough to be hoodwinked in such a manner

Btw I'm not one to call for immediate bans or protests but I'll tell you theyll never get a dime from me.

You know, all the crap that gets fed to us about supporting your local shops and how its OK to spend a little more to keep them open, and that's the thanks you get. Don't forget that which ones give a fugg about this community as much as we do.

I love Billy dearly but there is no way in hell I would pay that much for a lower, ever. I would assume he is looking to cash in on the panic buyers out there, he cant seriously expect those of us that have been around a while to fork that kind of coin over for a lower.

While I do think they are idiots with that price, keep in mind margins and volume. If they sold X guns before but can only sell Y guns today, their bills haven't gone any lower, they still have to pay the electric bill. The other side is that if you own one already, you will be less likely to buy a second at that price, but the guy that doesn't own one at least has the opportunity because some guy buying his 6 pack of spare lowers will be less tempted at that price.

Quoting myself from another thread:

While I can understand why you guys are upset about price increases, think about it from the retailer's standpoint. They don't know when they're going to get more product to sell. I've made that very clear to ALL dealers that I have no idea when I can get them more of my product to sell. So for all they know, what they have right now has to pay the bills for the next month. It's a very real possibility in the current environment. This goes for guns too. An added complication with the guns is some distributors as well as manufacturers have started to raise prices on the dealers which we in turn pass on to end customers. Side note: I have not raised prices to dealers for the mags I make. One distributor that I work with started charging $3200 for a SCAR16 and $3400 for a SCAR17. And in an effort to keep inventory turning and making money to keep employees paid and the lights on, dealers are buying those overpriced guns and in turn selling them for whatever profit they can squeeze out because regular replenishment is not possible for the immediate future.

Panic buying is driving this drought. People stockpiling hundreds of magazines and tens of thousands of rounds of ammo. One person snatching up 10, 12, 20 AR15s because he's afraid of a ban limiting his ability to own them in the future. And the worst offender: the speculator. The person buying low and selling high or buying now and waiting for a ban to flip whatever he/she has snatched up in an effort to make a handsome profit. Because of the insane spike in demand, the entire firearms supply chain was drained in under a week. A WEEK. Buyers created this situation and sellers have responded in what I consider to be sensible fashion. We don't know when we'll get more to sell so raise prices and make every last sale count as though the profit has to sustain us for weeks or months. No inventory means no cash flow but overhead persists and eats away at whatever cash has been stockpiled.

Retailers who cannot control their overhead or keep their operations lean hurt in the long run during these situations. Sure, they make a ton of money at the beginning but as I mentioned, without replenishment of inventory, that money will dwindle away and ultimately kill the business if not managed or mitigated.

Spike's backlog is about 12 months right now meaning unless Shore Shot has been feeding them regular POs for the past 12 months, their replenishment is questionable at best.

And to confirm, Aero Precision did raise prices to Spike's for 2013 which have been passed on to dealers.

Also, I'm hearing rumors that I may have to raise prices of my mags because there's a price increase coming from further upstream. Time will tell.

I know Mastadon, for new ones were around $150 or so, in line with the increase from mfr.... contact them.

If Shore Shot charges $200 they are doubling their money, but $390?!? Still can't get over it. Will people buy them? I am sure... I would not have a vendor on here for doing that. That is beyond greed. Look at Gunbroker or other places... $250 tops.

I know Mastadon, for new ones were around $150 or so, in line with the increase from mfr.... contact them.

If Shore Shot charges $200 they are doubling their money, but $390?!? Still can't get over it. Will people buy them? I am sure... I would not have a vendor on here for doing that. That is beyond greed. Look at Gunbroker or other places... $250 tops.

Exactly. I think most of us have a grasp on how supply and demand works. I just don't want to hear about why I should by from local places when they pull this. Their business decisions are suspect.

But that's the beauty of true, free market economics. If someone wants it that badly, they'll buy it if they can afford it. If that price is too high for the market, the seller will hold on to it or have to come down in price. I'd be up in arms if it was gasoline, clean water, canned food, or medical supplies brought in from an unaffected area shortly after a natural disaster. But we're talking about items that fall under discretionary spending.

Quoting myself from another thread:

Spike's backlog is about 12 months right now meaning unless Shore Shot has been feeding them regular POs for the past 12 months, their replenishment is questionable at best.

And to confirm, Aero Precision did raise prices to Spike's for 2013 which have been passed on to dealers.

Also, I'm hearing rumors that I may have to raise prices of my mags because there's a price increase coming from further upstream. Time will tell.

Ty, but in reality, how long would it take a few others to pick up the slack and run the machines 24/7? While it is a constraint in the system, it is only a constraint while the supplies is there, it does not mean they are not going to produce more for a year...

Brownells sold 5 years worth of magazines in a few days, does it mean they will not get them for 5 years? hell no. Is it a marketing ploy? Absolutely.

How quickly did the prices stabilize after 2008? Very quickly, in fact, primers than went even lower, I bought CCI primers for $22 a box, after they went from 30 to 45.

This too shall pass one way or another. (unless there is a full ban, however I don't believe it will happen).

Ty, but in reality, how long would it take a few others to pick up the slack and run the machines 24/7? While it is a constraint in the system, it is only a constraint while the supplies is there, it does not mean they are not going to produce more for a year...

Brownells sold 5 years worth of magazines in a few days, does it mean they will not get them for 5 years? hell no. Is it a marketing ploy? Absolutely.

How quickly did the prices stabilize after 2008? Very quickly, in fact, primers than went even lower, I bought CCI primers for $22 a box, after they went from 30 to 45.

This too shall pass one way or another. (unless there is a full ban, however I don't believe it will happen).

Most manufacturers are already at capacity. In general, new capital has not been placed in service since 2008 because manufacturers are too concerned about payback periods. Daniel Defense is sold out through 2013. The BCG manufacturer I was working with is at capacity. LMT is 6-8 months out on new orders. Aero Precision, the supplier of Spike's lowers, is turning away all new business. These guys aren't just sitting around on orders because they get paid for what they produce and they want to produce as much as possible. What we're encountering is a limit to available machine time. We can't create hours in the day so manufacturer's are limited by how much time they can keep their spindles turning.

Yes, this will pass eventually as long as we don't see new legislation however this is currently the new normal.