Luke_WO

What Are You Reading?

Finished reading American Sniper last week or so. Before that was The Last Passenger (good except for the random sex scenes half way through the book). Read all of Adrian's Undead Diary. And just picked up The 13th hour at Target preparing for my flight back to Jersey Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read "Atlas Shrugged" last year. It had long been on my list of books I would like to read. Has anyone read "Unintended Consequnces". It and "Atlas Shrugged" are mentioned in the book I'm currently reading. It caught my interest. Was wondering if anyone here had read it and what they thought of it.

Just finished "An Army at Dawn: The War in North Africa," book 1 of Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy.  Excellent history of the European theater in WWII.  I never realized how unprepared and poorly trained our military was at the time.  It took some time, but the U.S. and allied troops really stepped up!

Also just finished Hawking's "A Brief History of Time," which was excellent and pretty mind blowing.

And I just started reading "I, Robot."  Can't believe I had never read any of the Robot series!  I read and loved the Foundation series long ago, so I am hoping this is as good.

I do need to download and read "Atlas Shrugged" as well...

I read "Atlas Shrugged" last year. It had long been on my list of books I would like to read. Has anyone read "Unintended Consequnces". It and "Atlas Shrugged" are mentioned in the book I'm currently reading. It caught my interest. Was wondering if anyone here had read it and what they thought of it.

I read Unintended Consequences a couple months back.   It is a VERY long book(460,000 words) and it goes into a lot of detail about the life of the main character and his influences.   It's about 3/4 of the way through the book before you get to the militia fantasy part of it that got the attention of the FBI and Timothy McVeigh.   If he had had a good editor, that book could be trimmed to half its size and really become pretty awesome.  The technicals on shooting are pretty good, but there's just so much of it that really doesn't need to be in there.

I'm currently reading the 2nd book in the Wheel of Time series.  It's a book that's been on my list since the early 90s and I'm finally getting around to reading it.

I really enjoyed John Ringo's Ghost series of books recently.  Lots of firearms action in those.

Just finished Blue Tent Sky--WOW!!!

I understand the book is written from one man's perspective and hence is (by definition) one-sided and biased.  But I have read a bit about the Aitkin case, and I think it is pretty well written and appears to be accurate.  But even if it were highly exaggerated--which I do not believe it is--it is really scary!  I think every gun owner in the PRNJ should read this.  It only takes a couple hours to read.  I have always trusted that if I made a good faith effort to comply with the law, then I should be safe.  I study the law in my free time--especially laws that might affect me, such as firearms.  But that is not going to help when a police officer, the judge, and the prosecutor do not even know or choose to ignore the law.  And it can cost you significant money, time, and loss of freedom with no recourse.  What a chilling effect!  If the same practice were applied to freedom of speech, religion, mobility, voting, people would be up in arms (well, maybe not legally in NJ).

Lessons from the book--which I already knew, but they have been strongly reinforced:

Keep any weapons out of sight during transport (e.g. to and from the range, or when moving between residences).

Never admit to LE that you have firearms.

Never tell anyone you have firearms.

NEVER consent to a search of ANYTHING.

Finished "Patriots" on Wednesday. Went to the library on Wednesday night. While browsing, looking for some thing to grab my attention, I saw, "Don't Give Up, Don't Give In: Lessons From An Extraordinary Life". The title sounds new agey but it was the author which caught my eye while glancing at the new nom-fiction section. It's by Loius Zamperini. THE Louis Zamperini of "Unbroken".

I don't usually read books such as this. But this man lived such an incredible life I was willing to check it out. Plus it's a short read so will only take a few days to read.

Just finished Damn Few by Rorke Denver..he is a former SEAL officer who ran BUDS training for a while...good recount of his journey from high school through meeting several presidents...You may also remeber him as the Seal Officer Rorke in the movie Act Of Valor..

Just finished "Killing Patton". Entertaining read. O'Reilly implies Patton was assassinated, likely by the Russians who feared Patton would support an alliance with Germany and a move on Russia. Interesting but I don't think he makes a great case that Patton actually WAS assassinated.

I read Unintended Consequences a couple months back.   It is a VERY long book(460,000 words) and it goes into a lot of detail about the life of the main character and his influences.   It's about 3/4 of the way through the book before you get to the militia fantasy part of it that got the attention of the FBI and Timothy McVeigh.   If he had had a good editor, that book could be trimmed to half its size and really become pretty awesome.  The technicals on shooting are pretty good, but there's just so much of it that really doesn't need to be in there.

I'm currently reading the 2nd book in the Wheel of Time series.  It's a book that's been on my list since the early 90s and I'm finally getting around to reading it.

I really enjoyed John Ringo's Ghost series of books recently.  Lots of firearms action in those.

I think you missed the point of the book. THe plot is there as candy coating for the history lessons and such. The plot is the filler for the most part. 

I think you missed the point of the book. THe plot is there as candy coating for the history lessons and such. The plot is the filler for the most part.

It is really 3 books. a history of gun control. a vast amount of detail on the technical aspects of long range shooting. And a militia fantasy story. They don't all mesh smoothly. There's way too much on the technical stuff, just enough on the history and a lot of unnecessary crap in the fantasy story.

I stand by my statement that it would be a vastly better book if edited by a competent editor.

For example, he went on for 50 pages about pulling a prank on a newbie skydiver that had no bearing on the plot whatsoever. There was a ton of that stuff Riddled throughout.

Since early January, these are the books I have either read or have listened to the audio version. I enjoy a mix of non-fiction and fiction, a good story, exposés, and biographies of influential people:

1. The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Olympics
by Daniel James Brown

2. Blue Highways: A Journey into America
by William Least-Heat Moon

3. Sons of Wichita: How the Koch Brothers Became America’s Most Powerful and Private Dynasty
by Daniel Schulman

4. Command Authority (A Jack Ryan Novel)
by Tom Clancy and Mark Greaney

5. Glock: The Rise of America’s Gun
by Paul Barrett

6. American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History
by Jim DeFelice, Chris Kyle and Scott McEwan

7. Killing Patton: The Strange Death of World War II’s Most Audacious General
by Bill O’Reilly and Martin Dugard

8. This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate
by Naomi Klein

9. On His Own Terms: A Life of Nelson Rockefeller
by Richard Norton Smith

I am about to start this one:

The Churchill Factor: How One Man Made History
by Boris Johnson

AVB-AMG

Recently finished "I, Robot" and No "Ordinary Men: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Hans von Dohnanyi, Resisters against Hitler in Church and State"

Recommend both, but No Ordinary Men was really amazing.  Both of these men could have fled Germany, but they stayed and not only stood up for their beliefs, but fought for their country (i.e. against the Reich) and took great risks attempting to take Hitler out.  They paid the ultimate price, but they went to prison and death with incredible dignity and faith in God.

I just started Bonheoffer's "Cost of Discipleship."

Also considering Asimov's complete foundation series--I read four of them awhile ago, but somehow I missed the complete seven volume set back then.

Just started, "Heaven and Hell: My Life With The Eagles 1974 - 2001".

Only 50 pages into it. Very interesting so far. Born dirt poor, broke elbow when young & told would have limited use of arm. Mother made him carry pail filled with sand to straighen & strengthen arm. Diagnosed with polio at 8, given serum but still had to spend quite a bit of time in polio ward. Only a small radio available that he listened to for hours each day that started his love of music. Trades M80s for guitar neighborhood kid had that was collecting dust. Over years becomes better and better at playing. Young teenager he's working at music store to pay off new guitar he bought from them. Giving lessons to snot nose whining kids but one he likes who shows promise. Kids name is Tom Petty!

All that in 50 pages....and I'm leaving out a lot! Very much looking forward to reading the remainder of the book.