RIMD

Firearm discharge within a private home?

Question that was recently posed to me and I did not have an answer. In Tinton Falls, where I reside, several people have seen signs indicating that the "discharge of firearms is strictly prohibited."

Now the question arose as to whether this was true in the setting of a home invasion. For instance: you are sleeping, someone breaks into your home. Say you have access to your firearms and someone tried to come into your room or you feel your life is in danger. If you fire at the intruder are you violating the law or does it stand that it would be acceptable in the setting of self defense????

Anyone who has any thoughts it would be appreciated. I was asked and could not come up with an educated response...

No, you go to jail and pay a fine for discharging your weapon.

It comes down to common sense, and the discretion of the prosecutor.

Town ordinance violations are basically equal to a traffic ticket...you wont go to jail over it.

I think the person breaking and entering should be charged for the firearms discharge, personally. Tack it on! Maybe it will increase his sentence 2 more minutes.

I was thinking this was a question of a serious gunsmithing DIY-er with a bullet trap in his basement. I guess that's what would earn you a fine.

That's what I thought too. My uncle was debating building a small range with a backstop in his basement, but I guess figured these ordinances might get him in trouble if someone heard it outside.

But to answer op question, I live in TF and I'd be damned if the law stopped me from using firepower to stop an intruder. Sorry, bad guy dead is more important than a ordinance against discharge!

That's what I thought too. My uncle was debating building a small range with a backstop in his basement, but I guess figured these ordinances might get him in trouble if someone heard it outside.

There's a reason why ranges have ventilation systems. The amount of gun powder & lead dust in the air? How about that polluted air getting into your ducts & your entire home?

All very interesting. I just picked up my pistol purchasing permit. Any suggestions on good gun shop to visit? I am in the southern aspect of TF near Ocean and Neptune..

Thanks for all the great commentary!

I will be honest- it's a drive but Cheyenne outfitters has cared for me the best. They will not tell you wrong and will also not be overpriced! They are out on rt 130. 30-40 min ride down 195. It's worth it to because they usually maintain a large stock. I bought my handgun and rifle from them after lots of research.