papercutninja

Frustrated because acceptance of guns was about to be mainstreamed

I've had this thought bouncing around in my head for a while now, even before the shooting in Connecticut happened. It seems like acceptance of guns and legal gun ownership was *just* about to go mainstream, even in the "blue" states.

Stay with me here.

At one point in the past year or so, there were almost a half-dozen cable reality shows about guns and/or shooting. Sons of Guns, American Guns, Top Shot, etc etc. Whether you liked them or not, they showed guns in a positive light, often explaining the legal parameters of owning certain types of guns. It was de-mystifying them and making them part of pop culture.

As stupid as the mouth-breather hack "gunsmiths" were on Sons of Guns, it was an entertaining (if you like reality tv) show that showed legal guns as fun instruments of hobbyists. Safety was emphasized over and over on these shows, and the discussion of guns had no political slant or preaching about the Constitution. THIS was going to be the way to win over the non-political liberals. If you come at them from a conservative/Constitutional angle, they have practiced defense mechanisms for it and will stop listening to any rational arguments. But, show it in a neutral, fun setting without polarizing politics and you can snag them without them even knowing it. We were SO close. It seemed like EVERY major cable channel was planning to debut another gun-centric show. Now? Nothing.

Remember when American Chopper first aired on TV? How quickly after that did EVERYBODY on your block buy a Harley or get a "custom bike" made? With respect to the guys here that have been lifelong riders, American Chopper and the many copycat shows helped really propel motorcycles as a safe, entertaining hobby. I feel like these shows really mainstreamed motorcycles and the gun shows were about to do it for OUR hobby.

Another thing is with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan swelling positive support for the military and veterans, also generates interest and curiosity in the types of weapons they use. Maybe this is the reason for the massive increase in the popularity of the AR-15? Even veterans who didn't care about guns before now want something that they carried during their time serving the country.

None of this is scientific, nor researched. I'm just saying based on my feeling living in a fairly liberal area with fairly liberal family, friends and coworkers. Literally NONE of them have turned down an invitation to go to a range, and as a matter of fact i've had a number of them approach me about getting their FIDs.

We were *this close* to having our hobby accepted by the mainstream. Not that i care what the mainstream thinks, but it would've been nice to have more allies in this fight.

A little long, but i just needed to get it off my chest.

/soapbox

Having been in the firearms subculture for decades, I have a slightly different perspective as it's not a nationwide issue - never has been. Firearms only seemed to have gotten so "evil" in select states during the course of the mid-80s and carried into the 2000s. However, you can go to many States and firearms are no big deal - everyone has them (and those lucky Free State residents make fun of us who do not). I think the media/shows was helping lift the "bad rap" put on firearms in those select states like ours, at least a bit, just like American Chopper lifted the "evil" association of choppers. Now yes, all that slow-changing perspective is turned on ear, and the select states are back at it. The problem we face is that the select states also have the majority representation in the government due to population density... For instance, in Wyoming where honest reporting shows 60% of the population owns firearms(and it's likely higher since folks don't like other folks knowing their business) and there were more than 600,000 registered hunter this year, the population is a fraction of a person per acre and ends up with a small representation in government as a result... Conversely, in NJ where we legal, responsible guns owners are less than a quarter of the state population, and the population is many persons per acre, there's more anti-representation proportionately in the government...

bring them out to enjoy shooting.

Every person I get into an argument on FB regarding gun rights gets an invitation to go shooting. If for no other reason that they can now argue from an educated perspective. I just bet on the fact that they will have a lot of fun and change their mind a bit or soften up.

I've had this thought bouncing around in my head for a while now, even before the shooting in Connecticut happened. It seems like acceptance of guns and legal gun ownership was *just* about to go mainstream, even in the "blue" states.

It certainly looks like, if we are to beleive the strident loud voices of the anti's, that gun rights are taking steps backwards. Yet, latest surveys says that the NRA  has a 54% favorable rate and 65% of Americans see the 2nd A as a protection against tyranny.

It could be a case where, due to the recent tragedies, the anti's found a new, louder voice and the politicans are not letting those tragedies going to waste.

http://www.usatoday....ma-nra/1851643/

considering most of the liberal people watch stupid shit like jersey shore on tv, maybe we should make a reality show. it would be actual reality not hollywood "reality". show a guy target shooting and stopping to refill 7 rounds into a mag every 15 seconds, show how it's careful precise single shots with AR's, not spray and pray, show how it really isn't like they think it is, ya know, with explosions, acrobatics, joker-type laughter as bullets wizzing all over the place....eventually maybe they'd get bored and leave us alone, or just replay it so many times like these other F**** shows that they'd be indoctrinated by us rather than Obama. just a thought

*Tinfoil hat on*

The liberal media saw that this was happening so they struck back by sensationalizing violence perpetrated by the mentally unstable or criminals to paint anything with guns in a bad light....

*tinfoil hat off*

Not really serious but who knows.... :p

Can’t really add much to what has been said already.  I’m getting a little disgusted with these politicians and liberal media exploiting these shootings for political gain. In the grand scheme of things none of the politicians have ever accomplished anything to brag about to begin with.... And with the liberal media like CNN/MSNBC/ABC portraying us a bad guys 24/7 they seem to be getting some traction and the politicians are getting their 15 minutes in the sun. Keep the Faith and keep up the fight!

I guess it doesn't matter when they had their plugs pulled. Supposedly the 5th season of Top Shot has been filmed, but no word on whether or not it'll ever be released. I enjoyed watching them on occasion, but the usual reality show fake bickering/drama turned me off.

Politicians will always need something to demonize, to leave their mark and get re-elected to steal and get there family and friends jobs. Its all about staying in office long enough to achieve that goal. unfortunately guns fit that bill. Very easy to make and issue out of a gun. The public is afraid of them up here in our part of the country. Its no good just to stay in office 1 term. They need multiple terms in office. That's where the power is. The longer their in office the more powerful they become.

I feel you man and you make a good point. Hey perhaps this was their sick "opportunity" to even the odds.

You are right, things were headed in the right direction for sure.

But you know sometimes when things are brought up even in a negative light it will catch peoples attention

and some people will use their brains (yes it is possible) and actually see the truth in the matter.

I know it looks grim, but I think if we conduct ourselves professionally/civilly during this time around people who

do not know much about guns or who are anti gun it could do a lot more good then we might think.

Every person I get into an argument on FB regarding gun rights gets an invitation to go shooting. If for no other reason that they can now argue from an educated perspective. I just bet on the fact that they will have a lot of fun and change their mind a bit or soften up.

Some will, some wont....but this is the only thing that will work in the end.