YankeeFan

Ex-LAPD on murder spree...

I had heard the only shots fired were by the officers. Who is talking about high speed chases in Manhattan? I am talking about most places these days not allowing them on fairly open highways. They take other methods such as enlisting helicopters and other cars to box in the suspect rather than weave through traffic at 100+ mph. Its called using common sense. So, maybe the cops in NYC were right, maybe they were not - the point is every action should be taken to avoid hitting other citizens - they failed in that regard. They fired too many shots at a guy that never fired on them and hit too many bystanders in the process.

I had heard the only shots fired were by the officers. Who is talking about high speed chases in Manhattan? I am talking about most places these days not allowing them on fairly open highways. They take other methods such as enlisting helicopters and other cars to box in the suspect rather than weave through traffic at 100+ mph. Its called using common sense. So, maybe the cops in NYC were right, maybe they were not - the point is every action should be taken to avoid hitting other citizens - they failed in that regard. They fired too many shots at a guy that never fired on them and hit too many bystanders in the process.

If the cops didn't shoot and the guy shot someone else everyone would be bitching that the cops didn't do their job. That was a no win situation for all involved. It is unfortunate that innocents were injured but there was an active threat that had to be dealt with. This is the realty world and collateral damage happens, even when we try to minimize the risk.

The trucks getting shot up in la is a bit different though.

Are you saying the cops should have spotted the guy the first shot? The murderer was drawing his gun and the cops were faster and shot first. Totally justified. I never said anything about the murderer shooting at the cops but you seem to think the cops shouldn't have shot at all.

You brought high speed chases. I have a perspective of high speed chases from both being involved in them and how to avoid them.

You don't seem to understand you are justified in shooting if the guy fits the description of a shooter, you tell him to stop, and his response is to draw a gun on you. You shoot until the threat is eliminated, be it one shot or 16 shots. Those NYPD guys did okay. It was unfortunate bystanders got hurt but fortunately none seriously.

Combat shooting is nothing like shooting at paper on the range. You seem incapable of grasping that concept.

I`d say the burned truck was just that. My guess he had another vehicle there and he`s not on the mountain.

He had years to plan this. He was let go in 09 I think....

I have a feeling he's setting up his final showdown. He'll give it a few days to calm down, then come out guns blazing....

Are you saying the cops should have spotted the guy the first shot? The murderer was drawing his gun and the cops were faster and shot first. Totally justified. I never said anything about the murderer shooting at the cops but you seem to think the cops shouldn't have shot at all.

You brought high speed chases. I have a perspective of high speed chases from both being involved in them and how to avoid them.

You don't seem to understand you are justified in shooting if the guy fits the description of a shooter, you tell him to stop, and his response is to draw a gun on you. You shoot until the threat is eliminated, be it one shot or 16 shots. Those NYPD guys did okay. It was unfortunate bystanders got hurt but fortunately none seriously.

Combat shooting is nothing like shooting at paper on the range. You seem incapable of grasping that concept.

Well we agree to not agree, that is fine, but there is no reason to get nasty. Please don't tell me what I am incapable of grasping as that only belittles you in that you are not capable of expressing your view and convincing others of your perspective. So, if I don't understand your perspective then please try to explain it to me rather than call names -- thanks.

What I have read is that the suspect, "was cut down in a hail of 16 bullets that left him riddled with 10 bullet holes. Nine bystanders were also wounded by what police believe were ricochets, police said." Thus, they fired 16 times yet only 10 of the shots hit their mark. That means they missed 38% of the time - I don't know if that is considered good or bad in that situation - but I would think it should be better than that. I guess my concern is that there is a problem when you fire at one target and end up hitting nine others. Should they have fired at all, I don't know I was not there, but let's assume they should have. All I am saying is that on the surface it seems as if something is lacking in their training when this many shots are fired and there is so much collateral damage. Could I have done better, probably not - but again that is not the issue. The question I have is are they adequately trained. How many times a month do they actually go out and fire a weapon? How often do they actually do any simulations of shooting on crowded city streets. I am sure there have been significant budget trade-offs made and they don't get the training that is really needed for such a situation. That is all I am saying. If this is the best we can expect, well that is just a sad commentary.

Mostly business consulting these days. Have owned small business, worked in chemical plant operations and other things. Why? What do you do?

Just wondered, because the person that prompted me to post would know more than you or I being he knows the other side, me I'm a manager of ATC for one of the airline out of EWR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well we agree to not agree, that is fine, but there is no reason to get nasty. Please don't tell me what I am incapable of grasping as that only belittles you in that you are not capable of expressing your view and convincing others of your perspective. So, if I don't understand your perspective then please try to explain it to me rather than call names -- thanks.

What I have read is that the suspect, "was cut down in a hail of 16 bullets that left him riddled with 10 bullet holes. Nine bystanders were also wounded by what police believe were ricochets, police said." Thus, they fired 16 times yet only 10 of the shots hit their mark. That means they missed 38% of the time - I don't know if that is considered good or bad in that situation - but I would think it should be better than that. I guess my concern is that there is a problem when you fire at one target and end up hitting nine others. Should they have fired at all, I don't know I was not there, but let's assume they should have. All I am saying is that on the surface it seems as if something is lacking in their training when this many shots are fired and there is so much collateral damage. Could I have done better, probably not - but again that is not the issue. The question I have is are they adequately trained. How many times a month do they actually go out and fire a weapon? How often do they actually do any simulations of shooting on crowded city streets. I am sure there have been significant budget trade-offs made and they don't get the training that is really needed for such a situation. That is all I am saying. If this is the best we can expect, well that is just a sad commentary.

By the way a 38 miss rate or 62% hit rate is way above average in that type of situation IIFC, actually I think the average would be closer to a 20% hit rate but will be corrected if I'm wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He had years to plan this. He was let go in 09 I think....

I have a feeling he's setting up his final showdown. He'll give it a few days to calm down, then come out guns blazing....

I think he is going to disappear or take one out at a time over and extended period of time..

he also has help he is not alone...

I think he is going to disappear or take one out at a time over and extended period of time..

How long can they tie up officers for security detail?

My guess is he is either devising a plan using a bomb, booby traps, ambush, or all out assault.

I'm curious how good of a long range shot he is?

With California having mountains and hills surrounding most cities... I'm wondering if he is staked out somewhere with a rifle.

There was no name calling on my part. You've refused to answer some questions I've asked to try and better understand why you say what you say. I've explained things clearly and concisely. You can disagree but at least provide some basis for your disagreement. You just keep saying the cops were wrong and don't give any viable suggestion as to how they should have done things. Some of the most well known cop critics on this forum have also tried to enlighten you.

No apologies for anything I've said.

If you want to continue this conversation it should be by PM.

My guess is that he's dieing of exposure or already dead. The fact that his truck broke down means that he wasn't where he wanted to be when he was forced to head into the woods. How long can he last with limited food and gear this time of year? Thing is, it can be a long time before his body is found, if ever.

My guess is that he's dieing of exposure or already dead. The fact that his truck broke down means that he wasn't where he wanted to be when he was forced to head into the woods. How long can he last with limited food and gear this time of year? Thing is, it can be a long time before his body is found, if ever.

Did they verify that his truck broke down?

It is unlikely his truck broke down and that it was found burnt out up there was anything besides planned. It is also unlikely the report of him trying to steal a boat but failing to do so successfully wasn't also planned misdirection. I could be wrong of course. It seems like this guy had years to plan and probably didn't just start now on a whim without it being well thought out and calculated, with contingency plans.

Then again, it is also possible he just finally snapped and went on a chaotic murderous rampage without much forethought and froze to death in the mountains.

Who knows.

It is unlikely his truck broke down and that it was found burnt out up there was anything besides planned. It is also unlikely the report of him trying to steal a boat but failing to do so successfully wasn't also planned misdirection. I could be wrong of course. It seems like this guy had years to plan and probably didn't just start now on a whim without it being well thought out and calculated, with contingency plans.

This is more along the lines of what I'm thinking.

This guy was no dummy.....

It's unfortunate he chose to murder innocent people trying to clear his name.

I wonder if he had any dirt on LAPD?

This was probably boiling up in him since he was let go. If everyone didnt bail on him this may have been prevented.

It's a shame he didnt try to bring this to light in a more sensible way..... I just hope no more people have to die.

I just came back from Nam. I was hitching through Oregon, and some cops started harassing me. Next thing you know, I had a whole army of cops chasing me through the woods! I had to take them all out, it was a bloodbath!

You do NOT go on a man hunt.

I hope a regular Joe Schmoe puts a round in his head, and NOT the cops. Maybe that will send the message in Kalifornia that a gun in a good guys hands is a good thing.

I would love to see this outcome and the NRA should fo a press release "Hey Feinstien, shove it up your ass!"

Let me preface this post; in no way do I condone what this guy did or support his actions. I know the "stop bashing cops" crowd will start with the "we're not all bad guys" mantra but pay attention to the comments on this page. Obviously something has happened over the years and "law enforcement" in general have quite clearly lost a lot of respect from the community and for various reasons. All I have to say is it is a known fact that absolute power corrupts absolutely and perhaps some honest self examination and introspection is in order for our friends in uniform with respect to how they and their colleagues are perceived by the public. The comments are almost all one sided and not very favorable to the police, this from a major national news source, CBS News.

As David Codrea just recently said this is turning out to be a "Behold, a god who bleeds moment".

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57568596/massive-reward-offer-for-christopher-dorner/

Million dollar reward for one ex cop. When was the last time anybody has seen that?

It doesn't even seem like they have any interest in bringing him in alive.

How about this

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-10/us-use-drones-chris-dorner-manhunt

The comments on that site are not much better. The one that caught my attention:

"Well played government, well played. What if you had a couple million of these guys?"

I'm beginning to understand why our government has purchased 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition, there is a lot of tension and anger directed at the government out there, I think they're starting to notice it.

I know that area very well. I hope the cubicle pilots dont whack some good country folk who use the hotsprings on the trails about 20 miles from there.

Surveillance drones are one thing but do you really think they are flying armed drones in US airspace? I highly doubt that.

Do you also think bombers and fighters fly around the US empty?

No did I say that? I would assume fighters are armed for air to air combat on patrol in US airspace and I would assume "bombers" and attack fighters would be armed with air to ground munitions during training exercises. However I will admit the thought of attack fighters or "bombers" orbiting US airspace in a combat ready state waiting for orders to drop air to ground munitions somewhere within the continental US does seem a little far-fetched to me. Even my tin-foil hat doesn't protect me from that.