02gixxersix

Phone meeting with Assemblyman Charles Mainor.

I sent out a few emails and I got a response from Mainor. He said he really want to have a phone conversation with me this weekend to hear my side of things. He said he was willing to listen at the hearing but people got out of control and he stopped listening. Over coffee tomorrow I'm going to go over some facts so that I don't approach him with any untruths. Pretty excited that I get this opportunity.

That is awesome. Please use the forum as a resource. You will get answers pretty quickly.

There are lots of practical points to be made that he may not be considering. How often are guns used by lawful gun owners in self-defense? How many crimes in New Jersey are committed with legally owned/possessed guns (hardly any. even Mayor Booker of Newark says he has never seen a gun crime there that was committed by someone who legally owned it) as opposed to illegally obtained ones (99.9%)? Why would a law that stops you from owning a certain kind of gun prevent a criminal from obtaining it? Common sense stuff.

He is an urban guy. In cities, people only see the bad side of guns. I don't have any illusions about him changing his mind, but at least he can be made aware of examples where the gun serves the public good instead of what he normally hears about.

I e-mailed him and he wrote back right away suggesting I call his office. We traded voicemails so I didn't get to talk live. He sounded like he generally wanted to listen based on his tone in the message. Good luck with the in person meeting.

I sent out a few emails and I got a response from Mainor. He said he really want to have a phone conversation with me this weekend to hear my side of things. He said he was willing to listen at the hearing but people got out of control and he stopped listening. Over coffee tomorrow I'm going to go over some facts so that I don't approach him with any untruths. Pretty excited that I get this opportunity.

Good luck with the conversation. I think he may just be playing you but you never know. How did you word your original email? I'd take some sitdown time with any rep. None have contracted me.

Does anyone know the rules for these public meetingsat the statehouse?

After listening to the complete clusterfuck that was wednesdays meeting,

I'm beginning to wonder if he's trying to get around some statute.

I mean even if everything went perfectly smoothly they allocated 9 minutes for public comment and voting on each bill.

Seems like piss poor planning to me. And now admitting that he wasn't listening anyway seems like a major derelicition of his responsibilities as committee chair.

Smells fishy to me.

Some stats for your meeting.

NJ has a gun trafficking problem, not a legally bought NJ gun problem:

• 75% of guns recovered in NJ crimes come from out state and were trafficked in. National average is 30% (tracetheguns.org - ATF 2010 Gun trace data)
  • 8% of guns bought in NJ are recovered from a crime within 2 years. National average is three times higher at 24% (tracetheguns.org - ATF 2010 Gun trace data)
  • Major origin states of our "crime guns" are PA, VA, GA, NC, SC. None of these state have an AWB or mag restrictions. Criminals will continue to used AW Banned weapons and 10+ round standard magazines. (tracetheguns.org - ATF 2010 Gun trace data)

New NJ magazine capacity bill would not have changed the Newtown tragedy:

• Approx 150 shots were fired. Shooting episode lasted 20 minutes. That's an average 7.5 rounds per minute. (Various news outlets)
  • Attacker used 30 round mags & would have to reload a maximum of 4 times. At a very generous 4 seconds per reload, total time spent changing mags was 16 seconds. 10 round mags would have added 40 seconds. 40 seconds would not have saved a single victim.

New NJ magazine capacity bill would not stop the average gun crime:

Some points (some possibly new):

1) Analogy: fear of flying vs "mass shootings" with "assault rifles".

Statistically, flying is much safer than driving yet people are fearful. Why? Because relatively rare airplane crashes are promoted by the media instilling fear in the viewers.

In much the same way, the media promotes "mass shootings" demonizing "assault weapons". In NJ during 2010, 9 people died due to "long guns" whereas 117 people were killed with knives, fists or other objects.

2) Conflict of interest: there were people on the committee who sponsored and co-sponsored some of the 24 anti-gun Bills...

For example, Vice Chair Gilbert L. Wilson was the primary sponsor for Bill A1387...

3) Guns vs. alcohol. Issue of freedom.

Do we NEED alcohol? No.

Issues related to alcohol: drinking and driving (death), alcohol poisoning (death), liver disease (long painful death), domestic violence, etc. If its about "saving even one life", why dont we ban alcohol when it is statistically MUCH more dangerous than guns.

With alcohol, we hold the individual responsible, not the product. But with guns, they are trying to ban the product as opposed to focusing on the individual.

4) Discrimination.

Less than 1% (much less) of gun owners commit crimes with the use of a firearm. If for example, a single member of a group (African American, Hispanic, Asian, White etc.) committed a crime, would we punish or judge the remaining 99%?

But thats exactly what we are doing with gun owners. We are judging, punishing and discriminating against the 99 (.99)%.

Do not strip the freedoms of the many based on the actions of a few.

We'll see if I even actually get to talk to him or if this also ends in a voicemail exchange. That could be his standard response but I did have a few emails back and forth with him and he seemed responsive and was quick to reply. I am impressed that he even puts forth this much effort 99.9% of them give you the standard pre-typed email response. Can't hurt to have a chat with him if I get the opportunity.

We'll see if I even actually get to talk to him or if this also ends in a voicemail exchange. That could be his standard response but I did have a few emails back and forth with him and he seemed responsive and was quick to reply. I am impressed that he even puts forth this much effort 99.9% of them give you the standard pre-typed email response. Can't hurt to have a chat with him if I get the opportunity.

Probably ( HOPEFULLY ) because he is in hot water by the way the hearing was conducted by him.

I think you will get to talk to him...he told me he had a substantial list of people he planned to talk to....he was very affable....humbled himself to a point that he embarrassed me, and did listen.

I also listened a lot, and when he talked it was clear that he was locked on to a course of action that he was committed to, but he did seem to absorb some of the points I was making, especially about the .50 cal bill and the rifled slug barrels, and indicated that may be changed by the time the vote comes, which he said would be the 21st.

It seemed to me, he had recieved some heat and was trying to neutralize some of the bitterness generated by that so called hearing. I will give him credit for trying to make peace.

One thing to note...he sees the ammunition measures as a mere inconvenience....I didnt nail that down at the time, so you might be aware he will bring that up. I went after mag limits but he was adamant.

I am not sure if this exercise will acomplish anything, but in the end, I felt he had listened and took some time to talk and show a human side........other people's results may vary

we didnt set a golf date.

My boss emailed him the other day after the hearing and expressed his displeasure with the way the states legal gun owners were treated on Wednesdday. He provided the chairamn with his phone number along with his email address.

Assemblyman Mainor actually called him yesterday appologizing for the way the hearing went and also said that his is only human and made a mistake. He went on tot= say that they have an interest in meeting with us(legal gun owners) to learn more about our concerns and more about this issue in general. He seemed quite sincere and he also said that he had been returning personallized emails to everyone who contacted him and that he was calling everyone who requested a call.

My take: Our presence on Wednesday was not only noticed, but concere them about their political futures. I believe they misjudged the "call for more gun control". They were not expecting any resistance to their unfounded legislative agenda.

I believe as we have been awaken to fight on this issue, that they have been awaken to the reality that we will no go quietly into the night!

I also believe it is paramount that we have a minimum of twice the number of those who attended Wednesday at the next hearing!

I wouldn't be nice to this POS. He thinks he is above you, the law, the constitution, NJ, etc. He needs to be reminded he works for us, he is not anyones ruler. Remind him that we are monitoring his every move via social media, and that there are 45,000 voting FID card holders in Jersey City alone. How many votes did you get last election sir?

One thing to note...he sees the ammunition measures as a mere inconvenience....I didnt nail that down at the time, so you might be aware he will bring that up. I went after mag limits but he was adamant.

I am not sure if this exercise will acomplish anything, but in the end, I felt he had listened and took some time to talk and show a human side........other people's results may vary

we didnt set a golf date.

What was the inconvenience? That he doesn't care about the bills and they're clogging his agenda? Or that the process is dragging and these should have breezed through? Wondering if there is enough division on the side of the antis that they can be split.

Also. Invite him not to golf but to the range.

Keep pushing! Sure, talk to the guy, but NO letup! I did snail mail letters this time to my local Assembly guys and Gov Christie. And I see that NJ2AS is hosting a series of 'how-tos' about filing to run for state office . THATS WHAT IM TAWKIN BOUT!!! Make them ANSWER for their positions! Make them Uncomfortable & commit. Get right in their faces, threaten their chances, maybe wake up some zombies that reflexively vote party line to at least question their long serving leeches. My district is 100% pro 2A, so NJ2AS will be seeing another contribution from me,

AS WILL ANY PRO 2A CANDIDATE that challenges current antis, ESPECIALLY Mainor and Cryan. And Buono and Weinberg.

8% of guns bought in NJ are recovered from a crime within 2 years. National average is three times higher at 24% (tracetheguns.org - ATF 2010 Gun trace data)

That might be what the (presumably) liberal anti gun website says, but it just can't be right. I don't see anything like it in the ATF report. There were 2063 NJ ATF traces in 2011.

http://www.atf.gov/s...ics/trace-data/

What was the inconvenience? That he doesn't care about the bills and they're clogging his agenda? Or that the process is dragging and these should have breezed through? Wondering if there is enough division on the side of the antis that they can be split.

Also. Invite him not to golf but to the range.

that the F2F ammunition measures were a mere inconvenience to us and we shouldnt be such crybabies about it (if I may paraphrase)

....that should light a fire...heh

I'm not sure, but what do you call it when one hand blackens your eye with a closed fist, and the other hand reaches out to shake your hand?

The only way that I will believe that Mainor is truly sorry for the travesty that he had intentionally created in those hearings is when he works to recall all of those bills in order to take a closer look at all of them along with NJ gun owners. We all want the same thing, to stop bad guys from getting and using guns.

Otherwise, any posturing now is simply to quiet us down as they work to turn us into criminals.

Seems to me and correct me if 'm wrong. If I were to speak with him, it would be civil and respectful completely with an open mind. If I was in his shoes and someone pissed down my neck, I simply would just shut down and ignore you. Regardless if he was wrong or rude at the meeting, etc. If his mindset is always the same in life, you'll never change it.

Have him explain to you what these new bills will do and how he believed they'd affect legal gun owners vs. criminals regarding statistical crime stats. I don't think he could give you straight answers without fumbling because they'd cancel out common sense. Let him lead instead of you pushing unless he refuses to commit to a viable answer. Just don't ramrod him. IMHO...

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I would just think he realized and / or was told he f 'd up at the meeting with his outright arrogance and disregard for the tax paying voter. I believe he's just trying to pander and calm everyone down with B.S. until his agenda passes into law. Once bitten twice shy

I spoke to him yesterday as well. We had a lengthy discussion on why an internet ammo ban is bad for FID holders, why a .50 cal ban creates a problem for people who hunt with a rifled shotgun, and how assemblyman Joe Cryan, who is a known supporter of the Irish Republican Army, which is a terrorist group, should not be supporting a terrorist list. He laughed at that.

He explained to me that he really does not understand it, that the legislature things we are lunatics.

I think he is trying to talk with gun owners so that he can go back and say 'look we met with gun owners and made these changes'...

DONT GIVE AN INCH. I let him know that all of these bills should be sunk and he needs to get off of Newtown CT, its a done deal.

He understood, he said the legislature wants our guns.

I told him that would be the end of America, and he agreed.

Dont give an INCH. The agenda is set. They were not ready for our passion. Next time 1k people need to show up to a hearing