johnott

Fox News video, SCOTUS may get involved in CCW issue.

A recent Fox News video promotes the view that in light of conflicting decisions by the 7th and 10th circuit courts, the Supremes may have to tackle the issue of an individuals 2nd Amendment rights outside the home.

I don't know how they'll rule on this myself, but the 2nd Amendment has to apply to use outside the home in some form or another. Whether it is concealed or open carry or both. (I'm for both of course).

The problem I see with this issue is that the Supremes may try to narrowly stick to CCW only and not try and clarify our 2nd Amendment rights beyond what they are now. If they say CCW is o.k., are they going to address to what extent restrictions can or cannot be imposed? Will they make things better or worse? Who knows, let's hope for the best.

http://video.foxnews...ntcmp=obnetwork

Saw that yesterday on America Live... but it's not really new. Gun control will end up in the SCOTUS and I believe they will allow carry. I think they'll leave it as open carry because the founders never said anything about concealment and throughout history open carry has been the norm.

US Supreme Court - Heller:

Held:

1. The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home...

2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues.

Considering the 2nd Amendment says "keep" and "bare" and doesn't say anything about one's living quarters I don't know how they can't rule in favor of CCW. Then again...

I don't try to correct spelling but in this case "bare" definitely isn't the homonym that we want in our 2nd amendment.

LEGALLY it's a shall carry. The problem is that it's left up to the states discretion on how they approve it.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

When Alan Gura spoke at an NJ2AS meeting, he said that if SCOTUS stays on the current track they've been on with Heller and McDonald, they will rule that states can not make carry discretionary. States will be able to decide what type of carry will be allowed - open, concealed or both, but they will have to allow it in some form.

^^^^THIS^^^^^

When Alan Gura spoke at an NJ2AS meeting, he said that if SCOTUS stays on the current track they've been on with Heller and McDonald, they will rule that states can not make carry discretionary. States will be able to decide what type of carry will be allowed - open, concealed or both, but they will have to allow it in some form.

My goodness... could you picture open carry in New Jersey?

Saw that yesterday on America Live... but it's not really new. Gun control will end up in the SCOTUS and I believe they will allow carry. I think they'll leave it as open carry because the founders never said anything about concealment and throughout history open carry has been the norm.

hahahahaha, I serious doubt it. Besides, by then the court will be stacked with obama progressives.

Legally NJ is may-issue. Really NJ is no-issue. I also don't think a supreme court ruling would affect NJ.

Correct, nothing will change. If you want to conceal carry in NJ, either become a cop or donate a few hundred thousand to some local politician. Short of that, plan on moving out of state as that is the only way you will be able to.

How do you figure?

Keep and bear arms.

Does it mention the method?

No, didn't think so. Any restriction is made up crap.

Pete I think it's going to depend if the court defines "reasonable restriction", which I think might have to come from the SAF case againt NJ. That case specifically addresses that NJ's method of issuing CCW permits is arbitrary & capricious. I hope they also address shall issue vs may issue, and not just issue vs no issue.

CC will never happen in NJ, maybe open carry without a permit is as much as I can hope for.  My glock 20 would love some sunlight.

Probably like PA. Open carry is legal. Yay. Can't transport anywhere by car (or bike or roller skates or anything) except the range without a carry license. Boo. You can now carry within walking distance of your house. They'd probably even have no preemption so your municipality can outlaw it.

concealed carry is a little bit of a touchy subject. sadly, ordinary people would panic if they saw a man ( or woman ) strolling down the aisles at A&P with a Glock on his hip. The downside of concealed carry is any one could be holding a firearm and it wouldn't be noticed so it could become a public welfare issue. If you see someone with a holstered weapon and they go to draw you have time to react at least and you have the knowledge the weapon is there in the firsf place, concealed carry someone could walk right up to and pull it and you'd be none the wiser until a 9mm was pressed into your stomach... then again none of this really matters, because the only one attacking you with a firearm would be a criminal, so regardless of the laws concerning carry hed still have it=P

I wish our founding father never put the word "regulated" in the text. They should have used "organized"...

The courts always get stuck on that word and associate regulate with the second part, shall not be infringed. So regulate translates to "reasonable restrictions" how in the world do you get shall not be infringed and equal it to reasonable restrictions?

The 2nd should have read "the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"

If you have not already, go to change.org and sign the NJ concealed carry petition!!!!!!!!

How do you figure?

Keep and bear arms.

How do you figure?

Keep and bear arms.

^^^This

concealed carry is a little bit of a touchy subject. sadly, ordinary people would panic if they saw a man ( or woman ) strolling down the aisles at A&P with a Glock on his hip. The downside of concealed carry is any one could be holding a firearm and it wouldn't be noticed so it could become a public welfare issue. If you see someone with a holstered weapon and they go to draw you have time to react at least and you have the knowledge the weapon is there in the firsf place, concealed carry someone could walk right up to and pull it and you'd be none the wiser until a 9mm was pressed into your stomach... then again none of this really matters, because the only one attacking you with a firearm would be a criminal, so regardless of the laws concerning carry hed still have it=P

NO offense, but this maybe the most useless (quite posibly the dumbest as well) post ever on this forum.

Don't see how CCW for licensed law abiding citizens is a public welfare issue. Criminals already carry concealed.

wouldn't it be nice if they ruled that states had to issue carry permits to anyone legally allowed to own a gun?

that said, i'm more a fan of concealed over open. why? because the tardlet that's gonna rob the local 7-11 is gonna do it whether or not there's a gun present. open carry simply makes you the first target if he happens to be armed. concealed gives you the "one up" on him.

My goodness... could you picture open carry in New Jersey?

Between 10% to 25% of the people I have open carried around have been from NJ or NY based upon the license plates in the parking lots of the places I have shopped over the past 6 years.  Almost every single day.I don't know if anybody from NJ ever called the cops, but I do know the cops never came.