Warpaint

Gov. Christie's response to gun control in NJ

I do like how he called them out about passing bills almost instantly when they can work to their own advantage.

"But, I do find it fascinating, of course, that they can move 22 bills through in one day, yet they can’t pass the user fee cap, they can’t pass zero means zero on sick leave abuse, they can’t pass a shared services agreement, down in the assembly, they can’t pass a tax cut for the people of New Jersey, but man let me tell you something when they think they did something that can play to their political advantage they can move like Grease Lightening."

Typical response from a lawyer/politician

No, not exactly. He sounds pretty annoyed with the fact that they would push that many bills through so fast, and leave HIM hanging with other, more important bills regarding THE PEOPLE. I am slowly starting to believe in Christie.

Listening to him live last night on the radio, I got the impression he's a bit pissed off at the Assembly. They pushed all those guns bills through in one day but jerk him around for a few things he wants. Hopefully this equates into him sticking it to them and vetoing anything that makes it to his desk from that package of bills. May be the best things the Dems have done for us, is piss off the Big Guy. Time will tell.

I don't trust his gun control policies, but what I do trust is his malice. He knows these bills are meant to jerk him around as much as us, which may or may not work in our favor. We'll see, I still think he'll screw us somehow.

I only hope that "They" piss him off enough that he goes raging bull mad .

He's Bloomberg. I like him as he does not like spending. At least he did not untill the health exchange thing.

But on guns he is bloomberg

I don't think he's quite Bloomberg.

I could see him vetoing the big stuff but may pass a token thing or two. I think the terror watchlist bill will past for sure. Not sure what else.

Remember that Christie appeased "sportsmen" by approving the bear hunt.

I don't think he's quite Bloomberg.

I could see him vetoing the big stuff but may pass a token thing or two. I think the terror watchlist bill will past for sure. Not sure what else.

Remember that Christie appeased "sportsmen" by approving the bear hunt.

I don't get this line of thinking.

Vetoing the big stuff

Passing terrorist watch list

How is that vetoing the big stuff. The terrorist watch list is probably the worst bill there.

The Terror Watchlist bill will be peanuts if more than one bill is passed from that packet of laws.

I'm not really a fan of Christies. He tries to do whats best, and I can't blame him for that, but he's made missteps. If any combination of these bills pass, it'll show how he really thinks...like a politician only looking out for himself.

We need to let him and Sweeney know how we feel and how all of our friend who shoot or are pro-2A feel. And that we will not support them, or provide any campaign $$$ if they do not kill these bills!

I don't trust his gun control policies, but what I do trust is his malice. He knows these bills are meant to jerk him around as much as us, which may or may not work in our favor. We'll see, I still think he'll screw us somehow.

I don't think anyone can trust him with this until the day comes that they pass his hands. I'm still on the fence when it comes to him. He is VERY smart and knows what to say and when to say it or not say it. The other night was just one of those times.

We need to let him and Sweeney know how we feel and how all of our friend who shoot or are pro-2A feel. And that we will not support them, or provide any campaign $$$ if they do not kill these bills!

Frank Fiamingo of NJ2AS is meeting with Sweeney.

From what I see he is pissed that the assembly went ahead with the bills. So I can see him not working with them. I think he will listen to his Task Force and go with there recommendations.

Right but now it proceeds to the Senate. Sweeney will likely remain Senate Pres and Christie will be planning as if he will be re-elected. The only way either of them will get things done is if they find some common ground. We will see how a Sportsman D and an AWB R get along now...

From what I see he is pissed that the assembly went ahead with the bills. So I can see him not working with them. I think he will listen to his Task Force and go with there recommendations.

I see some horsetrading going on behind closed doors.....you pass this bill and I'll consider yours type of thing.

Barring any special insight - what he said is encouraging...His response letters to us (we all got the same one) was encouraging also...This talk moves it even further in our favor...As I posted previously, I am hopping he uses the task force to stall, gets re-elected then vetoes most of the bills if not all in prep for his presidential run...Maybe he signs in a less inoculous bill or two to look balanced - who knows...I am encoraged for now. (this is far beyond a typical politically correct polotician's response!)

You don't think he told the task force what their recommendations are going to be?

Vetoing the big stuff

How is that vetoing the big stuff. The terrorist watch list is probably the worst bill there.

The more I think of it, the more I think the TWL may turn out to be completely symbolic. How exactly is that going to work? Is there a hotline that PDs can call to check if someone is on the list? It takes two to tango on this one, and I'm not sure the feds are exactly going to jump at the opportunity to make more work for themselves and to bring the shadowy list into the light when it doesn't benefit them.

Vetoing the big stuff

Would you rather have 10 rounds or a very remote chance that you lose your right to buy a gun if you end up on the terror watchlist?

how does the TSA get it? i'd imagine the NJSP could obtain it the same way

Was this bill written from the perspective of FID/P2P application or Point of Sale/NICS? Either way I don't see how this bill does anything without the support and involvement of the feds. I'm not sure how the current background check works for FID/P2P but I thought it went through the FBI.. so they would have to do the watch list check. If it's point of sale then NICS would have to have access to that info, or run it through the FBI or some other federal agency.

Either way, I don't see the NJSP getting direct access to the list..The feds don't want the TSA to have the real one..

Would you rather have 10 rounds or a very remote chance that you lose your right to buy a gun if you end up on the terror watchlist?

Since the rules for 'ending up on the watch list' are unwritten? Buy more then 500 rounds? Watchlist. Ask about the Watch list? Watch list. Cross the street on a Tuesday? Watchlist.

Democrats/Liberals are master, Middle East negotiators. They'll throw out a host of "wants" but really have one or two in mind. I really hope Christie vetoes but realistically he'll horse trade some smaller items to get items he's really been going after. I believe they'll get the mental illness, terrorist watch, internet sales and a few others. To us, these are big/HUGE, important items but to Christie they're bargaining chips to get what he wants and looks like he did his due diligence while getting something he's been pushing.

In the end, there is NO WAY all this BS passes, but Christie will definitely bargain to get what he wants...I believe he is of the philosophy "what's best for the collective is best for society". So if it takes away (some) from the 8% (gun owners) but benefits the 70% (voters/tax payers)...guess where he's going?