NJAlex

Guns I have come across the past week. Opinions please.

Waiting for my fid and 3 permits I have been getting some range time in and seeing what guns are out there for me.

I feel a sense of urgency in getting my pistol with all the mad rush and limited availability of guns and ammo right now. This will be a HD and range gun. I have been looking at 9 mm pistols primarily and have come across the following guns which I am interested in...

Glock 34 (haven't come across a 17 or 19). Is this a good choice for first purchase? It seems to be geared for competitive shooters. I got to shoot a 17 so am assuming it would be similar.

Sig 226 - like it but think it may be more than I want to spend for first purchase.

M&P .40 - like the feel of this gun in 9mm but can't find one to buy. Considering going with the .40 knowing I could change barrel to a 9 mm down the line.

I am going to continue looking this weekend but i don't find anything else am likely to go with the glock or m&p. am i rushing this or should i wait it out and hope more pistols come in over the next few months?

You have only touched the surface of what might be available. How about Springfield XD, Beretta 92 or 96, FN as far as semi autos? If you are getting 3 permits, you also cannot go wrong with a .357 revolver as one of your choices, The Ruger GP100 is a great gun! Just a few ideas for you to consider. I personally like Sig, the 226 or the 229 are great guns!

You mentioned 3 excellent pistols in 9mm. Each one will have a different feel in your hand. For example, the M&P fits me just about perfectly, but for you the Glock of SIG may feel better in your hands. You can't go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned. The Glock 34 is their comp model, basically a souped up 17, but the difference in trigger and action is noticeable. I have the 17 but made all the upgrades to 34 parts. The SIG is, well a SIG. Top of the line and the price reflects that. The M&P runs and runs. It eats just about everything (so does the Glock, the SIG can be picky). Bottom line is get the one that fits your hand and pocketbook the best for you.

You can't go wrong with Glocks. They're the Toyota of the gun world: ridiculously reliable and because they're so popular you'll have little trouble finding spare parts.

M&Ps are along the same lines. Just as good as Glocks by almost all reports, but they have adjustable back-straps. A little less variety in the overall line-up, but they got the big stuff covered.

Sigs are great, but pricey as you noticed. If you can afford them and get used to the DA/SA pull, then they will serve you well.

I never had the desire or want for a Glock until I got my G20 and I only got it for the 10mm. I love the fackin thing so much I want more Glocks. They are affordable and dead nuts reliable. And i ended up shooting the Glock better then a Sig. I ended up selling my 229. Keep in mind, your going to shoot different guns different then others and some more accurate then others. I couldnt hit the side of a barn at 10 yards with the 229 for some reason... lol

I'm going to have to look into that 34. I've been wanting a 17.

Molon Labe

Pizza Bob, I should have said my SIG has been picky and not all SIG's are picky. My bad.

Picky with regard to ammo? Picky about what you're wearing? Picky in that you've found that it likes to be fondled in a certain way in order to hit the ten ring??

Thanks for the responses. I will be visiting a few shops this weekend to see what else is available. I will keep you updated.

One more question though. What do you think of purchasing used for a first pistol? Since my knowledge is limited I am not sure I would be able to judge a used guns quality.

M&Ps are along the same lines. Just as good as Glocks by almost all reports, but they have adjustable back-straps. A little less variety in the overall line-up, but they got the big stuff covered.

I was under the impression that the Gen 4 Glocks also had changeable backstraps, though they don't seem as comfortable as the M&P.

If you're willing to splurge, the P30 takes the whole changeable back strap idea up a notch by having changeable side panels as well. You also have the option of a safety or none, DA/SA or LEM. It's almost twice as much as the competition though. In that respect, I've heard good things about the PPQ.

Why not buy a gun online that you like and have it shipped to your FFL? I did it with my first gun (CZ-75BD Police) and it was the smoothest process ever. I'm going to (most likely have to) do it again as I'm looking for a Jericho 941 and nobody in New Jersey is going to have one in stock. I actually think I prefer buying online. No impulse shopping, you can do more research, and typically much cheaper and no tax.

My P229 has been 100% reliable with anything that went into it. Actually my M&P both full size and shield has prob has more failures than the Sig. Thats not saying much tho as i can count on one had how many they have had total.

Alex im considering selling my P229 if you are interested. I have a FS thread.

I was under the impression that the Gen 4 Glocks also had changeable backstraps, though they don't seem as comfortable as the M&P.

If you're willing to splurge, the P30 takes the whole changeable back strap idea up a notch by having changeable side panels as well. You also have the option of a safety or none, DA/SA or LEM. It's almost twice as much as the competition though. In that respect, I've heard good things about the PPQ.

You're right. I forgot about the Gen 4s. I was between a P30 and a PPQ for my first handgun and ended up going with the PPQ. I love the PPQ as a gun, but ever since poop hit the fan after Sandy Hook, I haven't been able to find a single mag anywhere. Occasionally one will pop up on Gunbroker for about $100 bucks.

You're right. I forgot about the Gen 4s. I was between a P30 and a PPQ for my first handgun and ended up going with the PPQ. I love the PPQ as a gun, but ever since poop hit the fan after Sandy Hook, I haven't been able to find a single mag anywhere. Occasionally one will pop up on Gunbroker for about $100 bucks.

You able to find any P99 mags? I heard they work in the Classic PPQ's.

Get a Glock 23 and a 9mm conversion barrel, or the same setup in a S&W M&P 40.

You able to find any P99 mags? I heard they work in the Classic PPQ's.

Not at a price I'm willing to pay. I've seen some compatible mags (PPQM1 and P99AS alike) on gunbroker for around a hundred bucks. I'll pass until this wholes mess is over with. The PPQ is simply the right pistol at the wrong time.

I love the Sig P226 but not as a first purchase. I would pass on the guns you mentioned but then again many would love the M&P .40. I prefer 9mm and .38 +P myself. Based on my 42 years of shooting and gun ownership experience, several online polls I have started and what I see with new shooters I have taught, most end up getting rid of their first gun for various reasons. The last two I taught ended up buying guns they did not like after they bought them. One bought a gun because it was on sale and the gun store was pushing it. Another bought a gun based on size and then found out he could not grip it properly to shoot it well. They both ended up buying a second gun shortly after the first.

The temptation is to rush out and buy a gun as soon as you get your permit. Some buy based on what they think is cool, popular or macho rather than what fits their needs. I did the same thing myself when I moved to Florida and bought my first carry guns. They were the big and heavy all metal guns I was used to in NJ but not well suited to carry in the hot Florida sun.

Here are the guns I recommend to my new shooters:

M&P 9mm

Glock 19

Ruger SR9

Ruger LCR

S&W 640/642

Ruger GP-100

FNX-9

FNS-9

The FNH made guns are very good value. Most know FNH by their popular military rifles and they bring that same quality and reliability to their handgun line as well. You get 3 magzines with each gun. I have the FNX-9 and it functions like the HK USP V1. I can keep put it in DA/SA mode with or without the safety plus put it in SA mode with the safety. Mine cost $600 just a few weeks ago and is a soft and accurate shooter. Glocks were selling for close to that price but they are not as versital as the FNH line as far as condition of readiness. I like manual safeties on my guns out of habit and to keep all my guns consistant as much as possible. Only one does not have a manual safety.

Which one would depend on if you carry or just want a gun for range/home defense. The above are affordable quality guns. I do not recommend Taurus or Kel-Tec as I have seen too many suffer from poor QC. YMMV

For those with more money I add:

Sig P938/P238/P226/P229

HK P30/P2000/P2000SK

FNX-9

FNS-9

1911 - S&W, Colt, Kimber, Ruger, Remington as I have owned these. Others may be fine also. I especially like the Colt Defender. Owned two of them but my nerve damaged hands cannot take the pounding of a .45 in a small gun anymore. The new S&W 1911's are sweet guns and have a lot of features only found on custom or more expensive guns. I hear mixed results with the Kimbers but on the whole they seem to be OK. I have no experience with Springfields and rarely see them in our LGS.

Personally I only buy from Ruger, Sig, HK, FNH, S&W, Glock and Colt. My LGS knows that I will not ever consider a gun from another manufacturer. My preferences are based on MY experience over the last 42 years and may not mirror anyone else's experience. If I were to choose just one gun it would be the Glock 19 even though I no longer own mine.

I agree with the 9 over 40 for some people and definitely try before you buy. Rent or ask a forum member to shoot the gun prior to buying it. Even if it feels good in your hand while holding it, you may not like it after shooting it.

Coming from a noob... Of the pistols you have handled, which felt the most comfortable in your hands? When I initially started looking, I tried to do as much research as I could. I handled many of the ones mentioned above. I was really geared up on the SR9, which i still like, but when i handled it, the pistol did not feel as comfortable as the Beretta. I shot the Beretta and loved it, but that is just me. I still like the sr9 very much so maybe down the road i may look for one again. So to the point made above about new shooters selling their initial purchase, i can totally see that happening in many cases.

Just to update, I ended up purchasing a new m&p 9 mm that I found at Arms-And-Ammo. Paul will hold it for me until my permits come in. The price was good and I think I made a good choice for me. Since I put in for 3 permits, of course I am already thinking what my next gun will be. I am seriously thinking it will be a .357 revolver. I have been looking at both the Taurus and Ruger models. The Ruger GP 100 is my first choice but the Taurus models seem good also and are priced right. Does anyone have experience with Taurus revolvers or should I just save more for a Ruger?

Good purchase on the M&P, I was a huge Glock fanatic but I could tell you the date, what I was wearing and who I was with the first time I fired a M&P. First I went full size M&P 9mm full size but I ditched that and the Glock 30 for a M&P .40 pro series.

Taurus is a-okay in my book, get it and save the money for a second barrel and mags for the M&P.

Also, strongly consider a full size Hi Point 9mm. I see you're new to pistols so you need to practice practice practice. Hi Points are perfect for exercising the fundamentals.