AnthonyC83

Have you ever been questioned about your pinned higher cap mags

im waiting for this myself I have a c93 w/ a 40 round mag pinned at 14 rounds that my brother made and you can not see it so Im hoping some one will demand to check it so they can load my mags for me while I holler out random numbers at them maybe they will load over and over

I lived on base for a few years and never bothered with that place. My tolerance is much too low to deal with the douchies I had to work with in addition to the pros on the range. Maybe it's just a NJ thing. I shot at 2 different locations in OK and never heard anything but "howdy and go check the unlimited range they got big guns going." Just more NJ nanny state crap.

Being a new shooter, non-military, and not experienced, I don't know if Range 14's RO's are up your butt because of NJ's nanny state crap or because of military "attitude" or some other reason. I do know that it's a lot more relaxed, more fun and just as safe if not safer at Delran Jr. Marksman.

then don't go to range 14.

This is exactly the reason i won't buy those big body magazines...too much attention. Remember that in NJ, "he who engages in firearms, does so at his peril" as the court says..so you are presumed guilty till you prove otherwise.

My feelings exactly. I realize a lot of people want "the look", the 30rd mag blocked to 15, the recoil reducing device on the muzzle because you can't have a flash surpressor, and a pinned stock. Makes no sense to me. I could buy 3 or 4 quality 10 rd magazines for the prices I've seen for pinned 15/30s, nothing on the end of my barrel, and a standard stock which is probably stronger.

I guess that just may be me.

My feelings exactly. I realize a lot of people want "the look", the 30rd mag blocked to 15, the recoil reducing device on the muzzle because you can't have a flash surpressor, and a pinned stock. Makes no sense to me. I could buy 3 or 4 quality 10 rd magazines for the prices I've seen for pinned 15/30s, nothing on the end of my barrel, and a standard stock which is probably stronger.

I see where your coming from and while I agree with you about the pinned 30's, not everything else is always just for "the look". An A1/A2 stock does not fit everyone comfortably thats where a pinned stock comes in, as you can have it pinned at the LOP thats best for your size and/or shooting style. And a good compensator (battlecomp, dynacomp, fsc556 etc) makes the gun stay on target alot better than a naked muzzle when your shooting rapidly, for me its not about reducing recoil its about reducing the muzzle rise.

What's wrong with them asking as long as its polite and not interrupting? Asking how many it holds is way different from making you show them.

Maybe they want make sure they, and their customers don't get jammed up. I imagine the headlines "gun nut with high cap mag discovered at local range" would cause everyone some drama.

Maybe its more of a "plausible deniability" thing... they don't really care how much it really holds.

I see where your coming from and while I agree with you about the pinned 30's, not everything else is always just for "the look". An A1/A2 stock does not fit everyone comfortably thats where a pinned stock comes in, as you can have it pinned at the LOP thats best for your size and/or shooting style. And a good compensator (battlecomp, dynacomp, fsc556 etc) makes the gun stay on target alot better than a naked muzzle when your shooting rapidly, for me its not about reducing recoil its about reducing the muzzle rise.

The stock and muzzle device issues are still playing to one's vanity. I did have about two days of training and qualification at Fort Benning but was issued my first M16 in 1968 when I was told to trade in my M14. That was about 9000 miles away from here just south of Da Nang. If you were 5' tall or 6'-8 you got the same rifle. You learned to overcome any problems and work with what you had. When I got an M4 in 2001 I found one notch out to keep it short and fully out to get the most accuracy. I've been shooting ARs/M16s/M4s for 45 years now active duty, reserves and as a LEO and haven't found recoil to be much of an issue even full auto (if you're doing it right). BTW, you get less muzzle rise because you're getting less recoil.

All true, but then again its your rifle go ahead and put whatever you want on it.

im waiting for this myself I have a c93 w/ a 40 round mag pinned at 14 rounds that my brother made and you can not see it so Im hoping some one will demand to check it so they can load my mags for me while I holler out random numbers at them maybe they will load over and over

Crap - that's perfect!

"Hey buddy, how many rounds in those mags?"

"I dunno...can you please check 'em all out for me?" ...as I push a full ammo can and 10 empty mags his way... LMAO!! Priceless!

I have a few of the C-products 15/30s. The company was nice enough to produce them for Weird New Jersey, since we were unique at 15 (until Colorado) and AR magazines in NJ must be a fairly small market. Most manufacturers wouldn't bother. They weren't any more expensive than the standard capacity mags . I bought them "because I could" -- and because of "the look". I wasn't thinking of annoying the RO or impressing fellow shooters, who wouldn't ordinarily see them. They were cheap enough. This wasn't a huge investment. I keep a copy of the invoice with the mag if there is any question by the RO or a LEO. That said, at the range I'd prefer either 10s or the cut-down stubby 15s b/c they don't protrude as much.

Range 14 is close enough to America (Pennsylvania), it has a rifle range and is cheap enough that they they probably get a fair number of visitors from the state that aren't aware of all the New Jersey statutes. Violating the New Jersey statutes can result in all sorts of bad things happening to someone at the wrong time in the wrong place. People do enough silly and stupid stuff at that range that I'm not surprised that the ROs are watching like hawks. I would expect to be asked about it, that's why I keep the invoice copies!

I would NEVER keep my invoices for my mags on me just because someone might ask me. Nor do I carry around copies of my pistol permits in the event someone might ask me. I know I know tell me how it might save you a headache one day from an uneducated LEO.....

I also dont carry around receipts for the clothes I'm wearing, the cell phone I'm using, or the car I'm driving. Why? Because I'm not doing a damned thing wrong, and innocent people don't need to be carrying around documents proclaiming or proving their innocence.

This post isn't to rip bob222 specifically. Just anyone who carries around folders full of unneeded paperwork to appease their massas. Yes massa boss sir, I got my papers right here! F that.

I don't know about you guys but the largest body I shoot is 20 round. Don't like 30's if I have to go prone.

Some of my mags in 20 round bodies are only 11 or 14 rounds so, they are marked w/ a paint pen.

If you want to keep some self righteous yahoo off your back just paint pen the capacity # on your neutered standard capacity mag.

Works for me. And if some one has the audacity to ask (the dumb shit) just point to the #.

I think you guys are reading a lot into this. Nobody was self righteous, or rude and nobody asked for papers or to show anything. In the one case it happened to me it was a polite question and a polite answer and then everyone got on with their lives.

If someone was rude or demanding then I'd be the first to complain but that is not happening here.

I lived on base for a few years and never bothered with that place. My tolerance is much too low to deal with the douchies I had to work with in addition to the pros on the range. Maybe it's just a NJ thing. I shot at 2 different locations in OK and never heard anything but "howdy and go check the unlimited range they got big guns going." Just more NJ nanny state crap.

when I was younger, my dad was a DI there and I learned to shoot on their ranges out in the woods or wherever they were. It was a different time back then, I got to shoot just about everything there on Uncle Sam! lol

Ive never been to this range 14, but f someone called the njsp for a potential illegal mag, they would need the njsp after i kicked the ver living shit out of them. I would never turn in a gun owner no matter what equipment he has on him

I feel the same way

The stock and muzzle device issues are still playing to one's vanity. I did have about two days of training and qualification at Fort Benning but was issued my first M16 in 1968 when I was told to trade in my M14. That was about 9000 miles away from here just south of Da Nang. If you were 5' tall or 6'-8 you got the same rifle. You learned to overcome any problems and work with what you had. When I got an M4 in 2001 I found one notch out to keep it short and fully out to get the most accuracy. I've been shooting ARs/M16s/M4s for 45 years now active duty, reserves and as a LEO and haven't found recoil to be much of an issue even full auto (if you're doing it right). BTW, you get less muzzle rise because you're getting less recoil.

All true, but then again its your rifle go ahead and put whatever you want on it.

I have to disagree with your last statement about muzzle rise and recoil. My rifle with a Spikes Dynacomp has slightly more felt recoil than other rifles Ive shot both with a brake and without, and next to zero muzzle rise, as the comp is designed to keep the muzzle flat and make the gun recoil straight back into your shoulder. So you end up with a little more recoil (not a big deal with 5.56) and hardly any muzzle jump.

To each his own, you use what works for you and Ill use what works for me. :drinks:

I have to disagree with your last statement about muzzle rise and recoil. My rifle with a Spikes Dynacomp has slightly more felt recoil than other rifles Ive shot both with a brake and without, and next to zero muzzle rise, as the comp is designed to keep the muzzle flat and make the gun recoil straight back into your shoulder. So you end up with a little more recoil (not a big deal with 5.56) and hardly any muzzle jump.

To each his own, you use what works for you and Ill use what works for me. :drinks:

It's completely dependent of the design. All brakes direct gas to reduce muzzle rise, from there they are all different. Some direct the pressure to the sides, some back and others direct it forward... either way you should see a reduction in recoil since without one all the pressure is direct forward, and no brake does that. You may perceive the recoil to be greater(felt recoil) because the direction is being focused. If your brake directs it rearward you should be able to feel it less, if forward probably wont notice a difference, but have better muzzle control.

I'm a fan of the 15/20's. i see no point in the 30's and honestly don't even like the look. Those 20's are the perfect size, and not counting this ridiculous point in time i was getting them for about 20bucks each(pmags). I would only buy a 30 if it was all i could get, a lot of wasted space, 2x the size it needs to be, all for aesthetics?

Or do what I do: put foam in the bottom of the pouches to take up the space.

that

and if you use HSGI mag pouches they work with 15/20's just as good as the 15/30s

There was a time not so long ago, around when Joe passed away and certainly prior, that it didn't matter there. Those days are over.

As far as wising off to the staff in order to sound cool, tough or like an otherwise above-it-all type, there is nothing to be proud of in that regard.

Twice. Both times Range 14. They didn't inspect. Just asked. I said they were pinned and that was that. I don't get too bothered by it. I guess it depends on how they ask. Both times it was not in a rude or aggressive way so not an issue to me.

I think you're mistaken. No manufacturer makes a device to produce more recoil. If you go to Spike's website thay sate for all their compemsators,

The Spike’s Tactical Dynacomp is a 5.56 muzzle device designed to reduce recoil impulse and muzzle climb to provide faster follow up shots. The Dynacomp's accomplish this by balancing the direction of the blast along the vertical (upward) and perpendicular planes of the muzzle to lower muzzle rise, while the end of the device restricts forward energy to reduce parallel recoil.

What you are perceiving as more recoil is likely muzzle blast. People are usually more sensitive to muzzle blast than recoil.