Well, my daughter is old enough now to have friends from school come over. I'm wondering how I handle a question about guns in the house or if the child recognizes something "gun related" in my house.

What are my options to answer or respond to questions?

I know this may sound a little liberal but would you consider saying to the parents "hey, Guns are a common place in my household, Is that going to be a problem?" I wouldn't say this is revealing too much but not allowing for an opportunity for the kid to exaggerate something they might come across.

My daughter enjoys firearms but she keeps it to herself. She does not share that with her friends. I often wonder how the kids and their parents would react. Its no secret we can handle ourselves in the neighborhood. But thats a good question.

answer them the same way you explain firearms to liberals- after all, kids are more open to new information, (usually without predetermined conclusions unlike their parents), and hey, think of it this way, you're educating the next generation that guns are ok (not to play with as kids obviously). it may make it easier for our kids to own firearms in the future, when they're grown up obviously.

My daughter enjoys firearms but she keeps it to herself. She does not share that with her friends. I often wonder how the kids and their parents would react. Its no secret we can handle ourselves in the neighborhood. But thats a good question.

I would say that you should keep it to yourself as this daughter does. Make sure they are safe when you have them over and answer honestly any questions that may arise. There is no need to publisize it though.

Just had this exact thing occur this weekend..

My daughter mentioned her new 15-22 in front a friends who was having a sleepover..

I just spoke to my daughter and explained our guns are all locked away in a safe that only i know the combo to. We use our guns at the range when we visit it and only there, under strict adult supervision. I ended it by saying they are not toys and are off limits to the kids.

i figured the other kids parents couldn't say anything as i didn't talk directly to their kid.

Depends upon the age of the child. Only kids who have parents that shoot will readily recognize speed-loaders or mags laying on a table. I know this from first-hand experience. So just pick-up the shiny gun magazines and catalogs with photos of guns on the covers, and close the door to your Smith & Wesson Altar Room, lol!

What I did was inform the Parent of the visiting child that I'm a responsible Gun Owner and EVERYTHING is kept locked-up away from little hands. This worked completely well 15-20 years ago, and no one kept their kid from playing with my kid, so a no-problemo situation. Today, it might "cost" you a potential friend for your kid, but better to get it out in the open instead of hiding it and having the other kids' Parent have a hissey-fit and then stop them from playing together AFTER a good play relationship has already started.

I have lots more, but others will/have chimed-in by now. You can always call me so we can speak since arthritis bothers me at night.

I'm always here for ya.

Dave

I try and keep it simple & somewhat vague...

"That's for target practice"

is a common answer, my older son is almost 13, so it's harder to be ambiguous now.

I have however, been pleasantly surprised how many of the other dads shoot.

Two years ago at the end of little league BBQ, almost every other Dad there turned out to be a firearm owner.

Freakin NJ...."closeted gun nuts"

Funny thing is, one of her friends mom tried to add me on FB and found out I sold a gun in 2010. I had no idea that it was that easy to find out. We are still trying to figure out how to answer this question.

My daughter is 7. My wife was telling me about a shooting incident recently during breakfast this morning. My daughter interrupted into the conversation and said something about her mom having shot a gun which my wife denied. She corrected my wife that she told my daughter that she was going with me to the range once. Of course my wife then acknowledges it then but told me to not bring this subject up anymore least this is bought up in school.

I'm not quite sure how to handle this but we normally do not have too many guests over as my wife does not like dealing with guests. The subject could still be mentioned in school although I do not think she has mentioned it.

My son is 15 and has gone with me to the range a few times. He understands to not talk about it outside of home.

I have three boys (now one adult and two teens) and have met a lot of parents along the way. One thing that always amazes me is how much I have in common with my kids friends. Many of their dads are now my and my wife's friends. Some I even go to the range with. You want your kids to choose friends that share yours (and their) values.

However, as a parent, you are obligated to ensure that your house is safe. Don't leave anything to chance. Put the gun related stuff away when the kids are over. If you have a room that you like to reload in or keep stuff in, put a lock on the door. If you are worried about animal trophies, you'll find that they'll start more conversations then anything.

My sons friend that came over one day wanted to know if we had money in that large safe. I was at work and my wife just told him it was my gun collections. Both my boys have friends over and the subject never comes up other then the one time. If anyone asks I would just say I'm a collector and the boys and I like to target shoot.

I have a Black powder rifle hanging on living room wall. Daughter's 13, Son's 6. Lots of sleepovers, birthday parties, and other visits from friends and nobody has ever asked.

Of course, I'm in rural south jersey. It's a chilly weekend but I heard 2 neighbors shooting in their back yards yesterday. I took the kids out back to shoot some cans this afternoon. We had breakfast at church and spent the time talking about the 22 bills that just passed the assembly. It's a different New Jersey down here south of the Mason Dixon line.

Nothing was ever visible and until the kids were well known nothing was ever mentioned.

During high school I use to keep a "decorative" fire axe by the front door. My daughter use to play it up to any boys that came over .....................

And that was the only weapon most knew about.

Once in HS though she become completely immersed in NJROTC. That meant lots of range time with the .177 air rifles (and I became a coach because of it) and handling of M1's for drill duty.

Was not that uncommon in my cul-de-sac to see a bunch of teenagers doing drill with a bunch of real M1's, and all the neighbors enjoyed watching. AlthoughI think it would not go over so well now.

Funny thing is, one of her friends mom tried to add me on FB and found out I sold a gun in 2010. I had no idea that it was that easy to find out. We are still trying to figure out how to answer this question.

How the hell did she find out you sold a gun????? As for the young kids (5-12ish) I would just keep everything out of sight. I would however tell my kids to not to be ashamed of shooting or hunting but not to flaunt it either. Of course this would be closer to their teen years. One of the issues is many gun owners in NJ feel like or believe others perceive they are committing a crime when doing something completely legal. By making it a "secret society" we only feed the fire. Not to mention at some point you may find yourself cleaning your guns intentionally when your daughter has friends over. I sure as hell will.

I have a Black powder rifle hanging on living room wall. Daughter's 13, Son's 6. Lots of sleepovers, birthday parties, and other visits from friends and nobody has ever asked.

Of course, I'm in rural south jersey. It's a chilly weekend but I heard 2 neighbors shooting in their back yards yesterday. I took the kids out back to shoot some cans this afternoon. We had breakfast at church and spent the time talking about the 22 bills that just passed the assembly. It's a different New Jersey down here south of the Mason Dixon line.

Same here. Gun shots are always heard in the neighborhood. Nobody questions safety. It is our way of life.

For me I have shown my 2 girls the rifles I have, and have also told them they are not to talk about them outside of home at anytime unless told it is ok. I also don't have alot of gun stuff just sitting around our home. I keep my rifles on a different floor then where they sleep and play or have school friends over. And it isn't lying if nothing is said that you have guns.

This is a tough call these days with all the anti gun idiots out there. I have a friend who has stated on facebook that he will never let his kids go to any house that has a gun. I asked if this include kids who's parents were police and he said absolutely. So, I don't know if I would tell anyone as I would not want it to impact my kids ability to have friends. Fortunately this is not an issue for me as my kids are 21 and 25. That said my stuff is all locked in a safe and only I have access to it. My wife has no interest and I explained to her that I would love to give her access but will not until she lets me teach here and take her out to the range for her own safety.

I posted about this dilemma in another thread. Almost simultaneously. We must be having the same doubts.

I agree with most here and it has to be thoughtful. I used to show off my small collection to new friends. But no more.

Now I'm worried about some liberal teacher making a big deal about an off-hand statement by one of my kids. It is not scandalous to my kids for them to spend a day with their .22s and then cleaning them. It may be for one of their teachers.

God-forbid this healthcare crap empowers doctors with Stazi-like powers.

I live in one of the few republican districts in this state. Rural and full of hunters. So I may be over thinking it. Thank the fates I don't live in jersey city.

Thanks for the insight, fellas...

You should always emphasis things you feel are important like the words... responsible... safety.. storage.... those words stick out... and if the parents habe issue invite them over to pit thier minds at ease.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2