Simple, yes we have guns, we like to target shoot, and they are locked in two safes that only my wife and I know the combinations of. Neither of my kids shoot with us, yet. They are much older than yours Ray. I have found that most people that are Anti-Gun are so simply due to the media. Once you get these people to a range to plink or actually participate in one of the many shooting sports, it instantly turns them. I have several fiends that now take their kids to our local clubs youth program.

Interesting info regarding Google Ray. I did a search on one of my email addresses and did find a post I made regarding someone selling their gun collection. On that particular website I use my real name so you're right, with a little investigating people can learn things about us.

Interesting info regarding Google Ray. I did a search on one of my email addresses and did find a post I made regarding someone selling their gun collection. On that particular website I use my real name so you're right, with a little investigating people can learn things about us.

bingo

I have three boys ages 9, 6, and 3. When my new gun cabinet arrived it was impossible not to tell them I have guns. The 9 year old couldn't care less, the 3 year old is too young to understand, and the 6 year old thinks it is the greatest thing ever. I explained to them that I do not want them telling other people we have guns unless my wife or I say it is ok. I don't like that I feel I need to do this but this is the world we live in. I can't wait to get the 6 year old his own youth rifle and take him to the tange.

I've been having the exact same concern. My son is now in kindergarten, so I have to find the fine line between risking having him expelled for making an L shape out of a lego and having him feel like we're closet lepers.

What I've settled on is, I put the burden on others. I tell him that most people don't understand guns and how to use them safely, like we do. All they know is what they see on TV, so they're scared of them. It's worked pretty well so far.

As far as disclosure to neighbors, I've had one ask my wife about them, and once she was assured they're unloaded in a 700 pound safe, there were no problems. I don't volunteer information, but sometimes I'll talk to a neighbor about hunting and then non-defensively work into the conversation that I do keep my guns locked, and no one knows the combo but me. Then I offer them some venison. Even in my ultra-liberal town, I've never felt ostracized or feared. Given the media, I can actually understand the concern. Uneducated people might think we all leave loaded guns lying around, so I think it's a good opportunity at education to let them know about our obsession with safety.

I don't leave any gun paraphernalia around, because i don't want lead around the house.

I NEVER wear anything that says NRA, because rightly or wrongly, that's just asking for trouble. I will wear my ANJRPC hat and a molon labe shirt. I like the latter, because it's kind of like a secret handshake. I'll sometimes get the knowing nod from a stranger, which is nice.

This raises a deeper cultural issue for me. Do I take the easy road and let my kids absorb the prevailing values and be happy? In my dark moments, I kind of envy the sheeple who live in their complacent, ovine, bubble.

Or do I pass on the old ways and values, knowing that it will put my kids in an unpopular minority. I do the latter, and without a doubt, by the time my son is 12, he'll be able to live indefinitely in the woods with just a knife and a gun. And he'll be a free American. Sadly, that's a heavy burdent to bear and gets heavier every day.

I'd like to add my two cents as both a dad and an educator. My wife is an educator also.

We are very careful to make sure that our son recognizes that firearms are a private matter within our family. Not a "SECRET that i can tell no one". Kids will be kids and if that statement came up in a school setting some educators may escalate it to the point where DYFUS comes knocking on your door. There is so much caution today with kids and abuse that most schools call first and ask parents second.

Having said that I believe in education, both for my kid and his friends and their families if interested. I actually had a great conversation at the last bday party we attended about favorite brands of shotguns and a few of the moms were very interested and involved.

My daughter is 5 and I have the kids on the block over for a pizza party and movie once a week in the winter.

One of the parents found out I'm a gun owner and questioned me about it after the child noticed a winchester rifle I have displayed on a wall. I explained that the winchester is in a locked display so no one can touch it and showed him my safe for sporting guns.

I explained the safe was bought to keep the kids out. He was cool with it. The other parent there asked if I knew where to find some 38 rounds.LOL

The kids are still to young to really know about them but when the time comes I guess I'll just remove the wall gun and play it by ear.

I'm not sure how to approach it with my daughter though as my ex wife is a huge anti and will freak when I start teaching her about gun saftey.

My children know about our firearms and I feel it's best they are exposed young to take the 'awe' factor away. I am the only with the combo and they are never out unless cleaning after a range trip which I do without them around. When they get a little older, I'll take them accordingly to the range and instruct them on safe and proper usage. My older sons knows they are for range only and for a fun day at the range.

You'd be surprised how many neighbors own or want a gun. Then again, I live in one of the few rep counties in the state!

Just saw the greatest thing ever. Kids playing in the park with toy guns and holsters. Glad to see not all parents are wusses.

sent from my Samsung Note 2

amen!

our boys have holsters with with toy 6 shooters we got for them at the cowboy place up north. they have nerf guns too. nothing wrong with it imho

You guys are really making me think... My daughter is 8 and had had many sleepovers. I've never told any parents that I have guns locked in the house in safes. And I've never asked another parent when I've dropped her off at their houses. If anyone asked me I would tell the truth without hesitation, but do I owe the parents that knowledge without their even asking? Weird to think about.

I did not read all the threads , and I'm not a dad but I'm a mom..

In our house my daughter is taught to be discreet about our business. Period. I don't leave anything out that I do not want people to see. She knows that guns are serious , they are kept locked up in a safe , and they are not a topic of discussion for just anyone. She follows my lead pretty well. For a 6 year old.

I would say to just straighten up before any kids come over , and it should not come up. If it does , just tell them you keep them locked up and away from kids and anyone else who should not be touching them ( as I assume you do) .

I don't hide the fact we are involved in competing and taking courses but I don't flaunt it either. I would not have any thing gun related laying around like magazines ( printed or the round holding variety) . As they say , don't borrow trouble.

Quite honestly , at this age ( 6) , my daughter is only going to be hanging out with the children of people I know well and get a long with , and they know we are safe and responsible firearms owners. She knows not to blurt out anything private at school ( I discourage showing off and bragging..IMO the only reason a 6 year old would mention having guns in the house would be for bragging rights) .

I suppose in a few years , around 9 or 10 where she widens her circle of friends outside of school , I'll have to revisit .

Kids naturally have big mouths & as they grow older their circle of trust goes beyond yours.

Don't be shocked if your child wasn't "different" because you spent countless hours training & teaching them about keeping matters "on the down low."

Its sad! But I have a 6 year old and live very close to NYC so all her friends Moms and Dads are super anti gun. We dont bring up the guns in conversation and when I go to the range or have gun cases I tell her I am doing archery. Because I have taken her to shoot bow and arrow a number of times with me she tell her friends she and I like Archery. I guess when she is old enough to know that her friends Mom and Dad wont let them come over because I am a " crazy gun owner" than I will bring her into the fold. I want her to have a happy good time as a 6 year old If that means I need to bit my lip every time I am around her friends A$$hole parents I will..

Thanks for all the insight gentlemen, except for safetyhit

What specifically is your issue? At no time did I attempt to call you a liar or disparage you in any way, I asked for clarification based upon specified legitimate and related reasons and for some reason you wanted to be as vague as possible.

Here's a bit of advice for you...stop posting dumb crap on the internet. And keep that nosy and out-of-bounds woman far out of your life, as anyone who takes the time to read all of your internet activities like that is not someone you need around for any reason.

You guys are really making me think... My daughter is 8 and had had many sleepovers. I've never told any parents that I have guns locked in the house in safes. And I've never asked another parent when I've dropped her off at their houses. If anyone asked me I would tell the truth without hesitation, but do I owe the parents that knowledge without their even asking? Weird to think about.

My view:

1) No, you don't need to voluntarily disclose that there are guns locked in a safe in your home.

2) Yes, you should ask other people if there are guns in the home where you're kids are playing. Not every gun owner is a safe as you might be.

I just did this...google my email address, and only found 2 things in the entire internetz. 2 things...and one of 'em isn't even mine.

God, I suck.

Thanks Ray Ray. Jerk. < walks away...kicking rocks >

This has now gone full circle. The parent in question had posted the story about Shawn Moore on her page and said how effed up this was. So, I discussed this with her when picking up my daughter and she's actually NOT anti gun. Not pro gun, but understands the 2A.

Shawn Moore saves us, again.

somebody at work mentioned the Shawn Moore story today. I said that I knew "all" the details and explained what really happened. By the end, I had a crowd in my office and everyone was very pro-Shawn. I live in the free part of the state but it was nice to know that even among school administrators (a group with a liberal bent), there was support for 2A.

I have a daughter 6, and a son 10. I tell them to tell noone we have guns in the house, which are securely locked in the safe. As far as his friends parents knowing about me having guns in the house, his football coach is the guy that issued my FID and permits. so there goes that ...

Ray, I have never help the fact that I am a gun owner a secret, If people don't like it so what. My daughter would go as far as if a friend or their parents had a problem with it, well she would say, they are not my kind of people and that's that. She's a little older than yours but she has known about guns from an early age.

As far as explaining or answering questions, just bring the level of conversation down to a kids level of understanding, but use the opportunity as an education for them that they are not toys. Not saying to give them a safety class, but think of them as young minds that need direction.

As far as parents that will have a problem with me owning guns, well then they are not my kind of people and I have no use for them or their views, if they agree with my position, I let them know about places to shoot, what involvement groups there are and any other info I can provide to have others join our fight for freedom.

To that note, I have only had 1 peopson not to see eye to eye with me in the end, but have had dozens who have been converted.

My son is 5 and since I conceal carry he sees me putting it on almost daily. He saw me when I was deployed and carrying the duty M16. He is EXTREMELY curious but also very smart. He just wants to be like dad... He doesn't call my gun a gun but a weapon, he knows to never touch it unless it is given to him by me (which has not happened) but I took the mystery out of it. I don't hide my guns from him. He sees them and knows they are not toys (because he is not allowed to have black toy guns). All my stuff is in a safe at all times other than when it is on me ( or ontop the fridge unloaded between outtings) Luckily I live in a military town and 95% of my kids friends are pro 2A even if they do not own a gun. Before my son has a sleep over I meet with the kids parents anyway ( I want to know who is going to be watching my kid and if I don't get good vibes than they can sleep over at my house) I have been asked a couple times if I have guns by these parents and I have no reason to lie (all my NRA stuff, magazines, and the targets in my back seat are a dead give away) and most do not have a problem. Oddly the parents are sometimes more curious than the kids! ( can I see it, can I touch it, can I hold it) This is always followed by an offer to go to the range! Hell, every moment is a moment to teach a kid something new, why not take a oppotune moment and teach someone who may be on the fence a thing or two about guns. All in all if the kids ask I would tell them they are guns for protecting my home, they are not toys and not for children to touch. My son asks all the time when he will be old enough to go to a shooting range with dad.... I got my first gun at 10 with my hunting license so I figure it was good enough for me it is good enough for him!

I never really discussed this topic with my older daughter who's 7yrs old. I was planning to wait till she got older to bring up the topic and introduce her to them, although I doubt she'd ever would like them.

Something happened on Saturday though that caught my attention when I read an ad lib she filled out at the restaurant when we were waiting for our food. For one of the nouns, she wrote "gun". She knows what they are and that I have them. I asked her how she was able to spell that and why she chose that word. Pretty straight forward, she just dictated the sounds and spelled it out and that it was a thing (noun). It was odd how that word would be chosen as opposed to so many other alternatives at her disposal. I ended up telling her that these are not toys and that she shouldn't discuss us having them to anyone. Period. Just need to keep it simple for her.

Kids are like sponges. It's so easy for them to soak up anything around them. I limit brandishing my firearms around her. I usually isolate myself to another room or when they are asleep. I don't want to deny having them but just want to limit exposure. I use to reference them as daddy's toys or big people toys. I have since separated that word when discussing about firearms. For many of us, they are a form of entertainment, but this comes with a great deal of respect and responsibilities of use and ownership.

My .$02, I believe you need to expose them at a somewhat young age. Teach them safety and respect of the firearms and you might want to buy a BB gun to help encourage them to enjoy shooting at targets and cans. You might even get a shooting buddy out of it.

My two girls are 26 & 21, they were both exposed to my hunting when they were very young and they started shooting at around 8 yrs old with a pellet gun, by 11 they were able to shoot a .22. The oldest still enjoys the .22 and is planning to try something larger this year and the youngest shoots her own .380 and my wifes .38 and hunts with me for deer & turkeys with her 20 guage.

Who do you think will be fighting for gun right in the future? Children are the future of our sport and it needs to be encouraged, not suppressed!!!

I intend to when they come of age to be allowed into the range. Times just aren't what they use to be when you can just go out to your backyard for some plinking. I remember the days when you could just pick up a bb gun at Service Merchandise.

Well, I might as well start joining in on these conversations instead of just lurking and reading all the time ;-)

My daughter is 5 1/2 and knows I have a BB gun and I have even allowed her to shoot it under my strict supervision in the yard. It has only happened a couple of times in the summer and I dont think she has ever asked to do it again come to think of it. She knows its only Daddy's and she has no access to it. I recently picked up a 10/22 which she has seen when I brought it home. I told her it was kinda like the BB gun but it can only be shot at a special place called a range. She said she liked how it looked and the wood was "cool" and that was it. My wife and I agree that it is ok for her to know about it. Now on the other hand, I recently acquired an AR and my wife and I also agreed that is not something she needs to see just yet. I I have only taken it out to clean it while she was sleeping and she hasnt seen it. Her possible description to any potential listeners may raise en eye brow........and it pains me to even feel that way.

With all of that being said, we have never told her to not tell anyone about it, its just not an issue. Because of her age, we know the parents of the friends she has closely and while they know I own guns, they dont feel its an issue either. In the future, I dont think I will volunteer any information but will not hide it if asked. I would also not volunteer any information regarding whats in my liquor cabinet and the bottle of cough medicine with codeine that's leftover from the last bout of bronchitis. Those items are out of reach as well along with my sharp Henckels cooking knives, my chainsaw in the garage or the 5 gallon containers of gasoline i need for my snowblower and riding mower. So my point is.........its not illegal, Im not going to treat it as anything more than "a responsibility" like anything else..........albeit a great one.