Heavyopp

NICS -- do we have any options?

Do we, as mere commoners, have any recourse against the state or federal gov't for this thing they call national instant check system or NICS - which is forced upon us - not actually being INSTANT?

What is happening here in NJ is laughable. Is there anything we can do???

I'm with you there. I brought my handgun permit in to pick up my new handgun on Feb 26th and they have yet to send the approval back to my gun shop. This is ridiculous.

Have your dealer contact the NICS unit. We are waiting about 6 business days for a response, They are losing a bunch of them as they are faxed in.

I'm with you there. I brought my handgun permit in to pick up my new handgun on Feb 26th and they have yet to send the approval back to my gun shop. This is ridiculous.

I got 2 and 3 day service last two; I think your store is messing up...

Do you have to physically go there to fill out paperwork or can you do it by mail. My FFL is one hour away, so this truly sucks to make two trips. This whole anti-gun situation is approaching an inflection point of intolerability. I feel like we're on the brink of intolerability.

that only works with longguns thuogh?

If you have a valid pistol permit ..matching fid and dl you can do a f2f for a pistol with no nics call....

Edit: forgot to add both buyer and seller must be nj residents or it does need to go through an ffl which will include the new ever growing de facto "waiting period"/nics

I feel bad for my brother in law, his extended permit expires Monday. The 30 days from the last purchased was just up on the 7th. He purchased an M&P22 today but because NICs is taking so long he will not be able to pick up the gun on this permit, he has to apply for a new one.

Have them call Nics and re-fax it. It never went through or was lost.

Correct me if I am wrong. Isn't there a law that if you don't get a reply within 3 days then you automatically get the gun?

Only after they get the info and the person goes "pending".

Do we, as mere commoners, have any recourse against the state or federal gov't for this thing they call national instant check system or NICS - which is forced upon us - not actually being INSTANT?

What is happening here in NJ is laughable. Is there anything we can do???

Sure, you can file a lawsuit in federal court against the state of NJ.

Some possible avenues to try:

- They are violating your 2A rights.

- They are restricting interstate commerce.

Good luck, we're all rooting for you. :)

At what point should the FFL re-submit the check? Is this after 10 days? If the initial NICS check for a handgun has been submitted and they are still reviewing it and a second NICS check for a handgun is submitted, would this cause problems where they would reject your request?

If there's any silver lining to this, it's this: if Cryan's bill requiring background check for ammo purchases goes to the floor, he current situation will certainly wake up the fudds and result in a massive backlash.

Imagine going through this for a day of sporting clays.

I can't believe the situation has devolved to where I'm grasping at these kinds of straws...

I wish I was as far as the NICS -- If a NICS takes 7 to 9 days -- How long does it take for the state to do the Name check for a P2P --

I'm 6 weeks in and my local PD sent it out with the reference letters which got to my people 2 days from application -- Their still waiting for the name check to come back from the state

Just tired of this silly system and their total disregard for us who are trying to follow the law

I wish I was as far as the NICS -- If a NICS takes 7 to 9 days -- How long does it take for the state to do the Name check for a P2P --

I'm 6 weeks in and my local PD sent it out with the reference letters which got to my people 2 days from application -- Their still waiting for the name check to come back from the state

Just tired of this silly system and their total disregard for us who are trying to follow the law

Did you check to see if njsp cashed the $18 money order yet? That's an indication of if they have even processed the request