lionelzeus

So let me get this straight

No, the fingerprinting is a one time event. If memory serves me correctly, the cost is $18 to re-run your background check, anywhere from 30-180 days (depending on your municipality), and then $2/permit you request (3 permits = $6) at the time of pickup.

Like everything else to do with FID laws and procedure,it varies from town to town and the CLEO involved, every 5 years before re fingerprinting is not a hard and fast rule and I was fingerprinted twice in one year simply because I moved and there was not"sufficient activity" within that period. Even after attempting to explain that it took 4 months to receive some P2P's from my previous town.......

Fingerprinting's at the discretion of the PD of your town. Some do, some don't. You can question it, but if they say you gotta do it, just gotta roll over and yield to their processes. Is it necessary since you've already gone through the fingerprinting to get your FID in the first place, no.

You can always dispute it and see where you get. Maybe speak to a higher up. It'll always lead back to NJ laws being so vague that it's left to their interpretation of it. Sucks, but that's the way it goes. I'm hoping I don't need to get fingerprinted again.

No, the fingerprinting is a one time event. If memory serves me correctly, the cost is $18 to re-run your background check, anywhere from 30-180 days (depending on your municipality), and then $2/permit you request (3 permits = $6) at the time of pickup.

And don't forget the "waiting" period of anywhere from 30 to 180 days or more

I thought the point of fingerprinting is that it is an identifying characteristic that never changes. That being the case, what possible logical reason could there be for requiring re-fingerprinting?

I would be interested in what a possible answer would be....

Thanks PK90. i guess what I meant is if I were to have an opportunity to have a conversation with the Cleo in a town that requires re fingerprinting every 5 years or every application for that matter....what possible justification would that person come up with other than....."because".or even more damning...."insures the applicant is serious about going through the process"

After I get the firearm's purchaser ID and get finger printed pay my $57 for handgun permits etc. If I want to get more handgun permits I have to pay $57 and get fingerprinted all over again?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

And don't forget the 3rd background check you have to pay for at the dealer.

I thought the point of fingerprinting is that it is an identifying characteristic that never changes. That being the case, what possible logical reason could there be for requiring re-fingerprinting?

Anyone who works with their hands changes fingerprints regularly. My finger tips are scars crossing scars crossing frostbite, I hardly go a week without adding a new one.

My town-

http://71.6.142.67/r...or_Firearms.PDF

EDISON Antonia Ricigliano, Mayor

An Equal Opportunity Employer

DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY

DIVISION OF POLICE

Thomas Bryan, Chief of Police

[email protected]

100 Municipal Boulevard

Edison, New Jersey 08817

Tele: (732) 248 - 7367

Fax: (732) 287 - 5719

To: Applicant for Firearms Identification Card / Handgun Permit

Subject:GENERAL INFORMATION REGARDING APPLICATION FOR FIREARMS

New Applicants – Identification Card / Handgun Permits

Applicants must be at least 21 years of age for Handgun Permits & 18 years of age for Identification

Card.

Resident of Edison – Proof – Driver’s License with photo or valid passport. NO PO BOX addresses

will be accepted.

Complete the attached State Application form S.T.S 033

Complete the attached Consent for Mental Health Records Search form S.P. 66

Complete the attached Release Authorization form

Submit the appropriate fee to the Edison Police Department:

Firearm Identification Card $5.00 – (Cash)

Handgun Permit $2.00 for each permit - (Cash)

Applicant will need two references with complete addresses and phone numbers.

No Relatives or Edison Police Officers.

Upon Submission of a completed application packet to the Edison Police Records Bureau, you will be

issued a form (NJAPS2) that you will take to a MorphoTrak office for fingerprinting. You must make

an appointment with MorphoTrak to be fingerprinted. READ AND FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS

ON THE FORM VERY CAREFULLY. When booking your fingerprint appointment, include the

information in blocks 7 and 8 of the form EXACTLY as it appears on your form. Note: Block 8 may

or may not contain information.

Change of Address All Applicants who have been issued Firearms Permits from another town will be

processed as a new applicant.

Applicant Updating Files – Replace stolen, lost, mutilated, change of address and additional permits.

Every 6 months, as applicant applies for additional permits or updates information, a request for a

criminal history record must be completed. This must be accompanied with an $18.00 money order

payable to: “Division of State Police – SBI”

Every two years the applicant will be processed as a New Applicant when applying for a Handgun

Permit.

Any additional questions can be directed to Records - 732 – 248 – 7455

Hours are: 08:30 AM– 4:30 PM – (except holidays).

I applied (change of address, went through the whole process) back in September when I first moved here.

New ID and P2P issued in February.

I'll be applying for more permits next month. So I guess i'll find out if "every 6 months" is interpreted as since issued or since applied.

Every two years the applicant will be processed as a New Applicant when applying for a Handgun

Permit.

Has NJ2AS heard about this? I would imagine this is even more egregious than extra forms in their Operation Compliance project.

Has NJ2AS heard about this? I would imagine this is even more egregious than extra forms in their Operation Compliance project.

It appears they have that, too...

"Complete the attached Release Authorization form"

Not part of the statutorily defined process.

It appears they have that, too...

"Complete the attached Release Authorization form"

Not part of the statutorily defined process.

This is that form:

http://www.edisonnj....elease_Form.PDF

RELEASE AUTHORIZATION

TO ALL COURTS, PROBATION DEPARTMENTS, SELECTIVE SERVICE

BOARDS, PHYSICIANS, HOSPITALS, EMPLOYERS, EDUCATIONAL AND

OTHER INSTITUTIONS AND AGENCIES WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

I,_____________________ am making application for Gun Permit/Identification Card . As a

result, an investigation is being conducted to determine my eligibility. Therefore,

you are authorized to release to the Edison Police Department or its representative

any and all information, documentation or otherwise pertaining to me, that they may

request. I hereby release, discharge and exonerate the Edison Police Department,

its agents and representatives, and any person so furnishing information from any

and all liability of every nature and kind arising out of the furnishing, inspection or

collection of such documents, records and other information or the investigation made

by the Edison Police Department. A photocopy of this authorization will be

considered as effective and valid as the original.

Date ___________________

Signature _______________

Witness _________________

To make it harder for you to exercise your rights, thus less people will do it and less people will have guns. That's their logic.