Lalo

The 33 Most Beautiful Abandoned Places in the World

simply stunning.

hope no one minds, but it made me dig up an old shot of mine, from possibly my favorite of the ones Ive gotten to explore

IMG_2431_zpse0037c57.jpg

and while not technically abandoned (they have been trying to save it for years)

img_1454.jpg

img_1452.jpg

ok im done hijacking now, i promise

For something a bit closer to home Essex County Hospital Center It pains me every time I drive past there to see such great looking old buildings (especially the fire house) wasting away and getting torn down.

Weird NJ magazine did a great issue on abandoned NJ locations a couple years ago. It's really interesting if you can find it

I see they included Pripyat on the list. If I ever visit that area, one thing I would like to see there is the Duga-3 Western Antenna array. I'm an Amateur Radio operator so I think it would be fun to climb it with a radio in a back pack and make some contacts.

Oh and the picture of Holland Island in the Chesapeake- it isn't very "beautiful" anymore, since the last building on it collapsed in 2010.

A couple other interesting abandoned places:

Hashima Island, Japan

battleship12.jpg

Sanzhi, Taiwan

san-zhi-5.jpg

I was going to include the ghost cities in China, but they aren't abandoned...they were never really inhabited to begin with!

I see they included Pripyat on the list. If I ever visit that area, one thing I would like to see there is the Duga-3 Western Antenna array. I'm an Amateur Radio operator so I think it would be fun to climb it with a radio in a back pack and make some contacts.

Oh and the picture of Holland Island in the Chesapeake- it isn't very "beautiful" anymore, since the last building on it collapsed in 2010.

You can tour Pripyat but I don't think you can touch the antenna. I have ham friends who toured and a group tour is cheap (excluding airfare and accommodation), less than $200. Private tour is around $500 but you get a one on one experience.

The Russian woodpecker was a menace during the cold war. You are DXing on 40m or 20m and all of a sudden it fires right up on top of you, just before you get the confirmation that you put that rare DX station in the log.

Some hams used to send spaced dits in CW and it was reported to have stopped the woodpecker. I can just imagine the scene on the other end, some screen in a military command center goes crazy, the guy lets out a few cuss words in Russian/Ukrainian, then changes the channel.

The area is still radioactive so you can't stay there very long but it has cooled down enough for people to visit briefly. It is now teeming with plant and animal life, due to the absence of humans.

The Russians were AWESOME. Some of the things they did... from the RBMK nuclear reactors to the Kola borehole, all for Mother Russia.

I am a ham too, btw.