bhunted

Pizza - UPDATED and listed by town

Two boots pizza in NYC near st vincent's is the most unique I've had.

Around here the pizza isn't so good but if I really had to choose one here it would be family pizza in sussex.

Know where the original is? Brooklyn. Park Slope to be exact.

Best pie I've had in recent memory is at totonno's in Brooklyn. Denino's in Staten Island is the original and a fantastic pie.

Pizza in jersey is mostly utility pizza. Mediocre with small pockets of good.

Even manhattan is a tough find. There are SO MANY shitty slices to be had in manhattan that it almost becomes a wasteland of tourist mediocrity.

For exceptional pizza, you have to go to the boroughs.

Pizza in jersey is mostly utility pizza. Mediocre with small pockets of good.

Try Lehigh Valley. Shitty with small pockets of mediocre. Only place I've ever been where chances are better than not your pizza will actually be bad. I thought pizza and blowjobs could never be bad, only less good. Well, this has taught me I don't want to move to bad blowjob land. It's probably out there somewhere.

Patsy's on University in the Village is still my favorite, has been for years, Motorino for "gourmet" pie and Franny's in Brooklyn...serious old school pie.

100% agree here. I wouldn't call it pizza. Its more like dough with ketchup and cheese.

Funny thing is that pizza is a uniquely tri-state phenomenon. As is the reverence we put on it. The so-called pizza anywhere else is pitiful with certain exceptions. NYC style pizza with a nice crust, good sauce and real cheese is native to here. IMHO the stuff on saltines (kinchley's) isn't what is the prototypical pizza pie to me. Oh and when we refer to pie, it's pizza. I met my wife at Rutgers, she was fresh from Maryland. I suggested we order a pie one night and she thought apple. With what passes for pizza down there I'm not surprised. And they use knife and fork to eat it... I know.

There's a place in Trumbull CT that a friend took me to years ago. It has lines for miles and even a secret phone number for "regulars" and a back door to pick up orders. It was pretty good pie. Not to the extent they made it out to be. Don't remember the name.

No good nyc-style pizza in Italy either.

All in all, I think it's what you grow up with. The ultimate comfort food.

Let's just look at it this way... What ever pizza joints are not mentioned here are all considered bad. ;)

Not true, there are 4 or 5 good pie joints in bayonne that haven't been mentioned.

Then why are you wasting your typing skills by worrying about the bad and not telling us about these alleged Bayonne joints? ;) Should I say pics or they didn't happen??? Lol...

Not true, there are 4 or 5 good pie joints in bayonne that haven't been mentioned.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Then why are you wasting your typing skills by worrying about the bad and not telling us about these alleged Bayonne joints? ;) Should I say pics or they didn't happen??? Lol...

Joe's Pizza, Pizza Masters, Tony May's, Pompei pizza, Tony's pizzeria

My wife was born and raised on Staten Island and still works out there. The pizza, bagels and Chinese food is no comparison to the jersey shit.

Lisa in Lawrence Harbor makes a good pie, a great sicilian, and an awesome buffalo pie when we get it local. BUT.....

IL Forno out on the island makes thee best Sicilian pie I have ever had! Probably makes a bangin' regular pie also but never had it. Always get Sicilian when she brings it home.

Molon Labe

My wife was born and raised on Staten Island and still works out there. The pizza, bagels and Chinese food is no comparison to the jersey shit.

Ummm, sorry to ruin your day but SI is technically New Jersey. And if you think a river separating the two bodies of land makes the eyetalian food better you are sadly mistaken. Chinese food all tastes the same, and bagels are good in this area but get worse the farther out you get away from the area.

Ummm, sorry to ruin your day but SI is technically New Jersey. And if you think a river separating the two bodies of land makes the eyetalian food better you are sadly mistaken. Chinese food all tastes the same, and bagels are good in this area but get worse the farther out you get away from the area.

OK... your clearly wrong but I will let you believe what you wish...

Is Manhattan Jersey too ??

Molon Labe

Worst pizza I ever had was hands down in California. I don't even know how they can call that stuff out there pizza.

Lets not forget New England, good god!

not sure if there are pockets of resistance in Boston, but ANY pizza I've had in MA,CT,NH, have made the worst NJ pie seem like a memory of heaven.

Walked into pizza barn in Rindge, NH and asked for a slice..

Guys like:

"Slice of what?"

Which is funny, because there's a ton of NY/NJ expats up there.

Really might be the water.

Don't have a suggestion for favorite pizza, but if you are talking tomato pie DeLorenzo's on Hamilton Ave. is best, followed by Nuts as a very close second. Hudson St. DeLorenzo's was the best. The one in Robbinsville is run by the Hudson St. owner's son. Sloan Ave. will be the new location for the Hamilton Ave. one when they make the move. Now I'm hungry!

p.s. Sonnylee, that's a very nice oven you have there. Like the stone and peel too.

Chimney Rock Inn pizza sucks. It tastes like frozen pizza. I know the owners and told them so. Almost any of the Manhattan pizza joints with the non-Italian employees make better stuff. The only decent regular slice in NJ that I dig is Pizza Time in Woodbridge. Consistantly the same since the 1980's. None of this gourmet fru-fru crap.