Teky0101

The Cicadas Are Coming!

I have lived through them twice, the first time when I was 11 years old or so. They do not have stingers or I would have been stung hundreds of time because after a while we all started playing with them. They are just annoying and not as bad as they were before large areas of trees were uprooted. The last time they occurred it was nothing compared to the old days when you had to have someone pick them off you before entering the house. As a kid we started playing with them. If you grab one by the wings and throw it hard to the ground they make a satisfying popping sound. :) Seriously, there are men here who are afraid of bugs? Our ability to track and kill bugs is one of the manly reasons women marry us. Remember that there is only room for one person on a chair so you either push your wife off or fight that bug like a man. :)

Yea, get completely covered by a swarm of bee's and stung 100 or so times while you're not expecting it and then see if your tune changes.

I don't care about spiders, centipedes, ants, cicadas, or even green heads and gnats.

But if it flies and has a stinger I'm staying the fugg away unless I've got one of those cans of raid with the 30ft stream that kills on contact.

Yea, get completely covered by a swarm of bee's and stung 100 or so times while you're not expecting it and then see if your tune changes.

I don't care about spiders, centipedes, ants, cicadas, or even green heads and gnats.

But if it flies and has a stinger I'm staying the fugg away unless I've got one of those cans of raid with the 30ft stream that kills on contact.

But they do not have stingers. My wife is allergic to bee stings and she walked among then twice or maybe 3 times now. It is bad enough there is so much misinformation about guns on gun forums without it spreading to bugs too. :)

"Technically cicadas don’t bite or sting; they do however pierce and suck. They might try to pierce and suck you, but don’t worry, they aren’t Vampires nor are they malicious or angry — they’re just ignorant and think you’re a tree. Just remove the cicada from your person, and go about your business. Cicadas also have pointy feet, egg-laying parts (ovipositors) and other sharp parts that might feel like a bite."

All it takes is a willingness to learn for yourself rather than believe what someone else tells you to know the truth. I have never had one "suck" me or know anyone that had that happen to them. Never has anyone said that they were hurt by the kind of Cicadas we get in NJ. I have also lived in other places that had some that appear at different time intervals. They are a nuisance at best. Nothing to be afraid of.

But they do not have stingers. My wife is allergic to bee stings and she walked among then twice or maybe 3 times now. It is bad enough there is so much misinformation about guns on gun forums without it spreading to bugs too. :)

"Technically cicadas don’t bite or sting; they do however pierce and suck. They might try to pierce and suck you, but don’t worry, they aren’t Vampires nor are they malicious or angry — they’re just ignorant and think you’re a tree. Just remove the cicada from your person, and go about your business. Cicadas also have pointy feet, egg-laying parts (ovipositors) and other sharp parts that might feel like a bite."

All it takes is a willingness to learn for yourself rather than believe what someone else tells you to know the truth. I have never had one "suck" me or know anyone that had that happen to them. Never has anyone said that they were hurt by the kind of Cicadas we get in NJ. I have also lived in other places that had some that appear at different time intervals. They are a nuisance at best. Nothing to be afraid of.

I think he may be referring to the cicadia killer wasps. Atleast I was when I referred to them stinging.

I can't wait for the cicadas, just not looking forward to the monsters that come with them.

I think he may be referring to the cicadia killer wasps. Atleast I was when I referred to them stinging.

I can't wait for the cicadas, just not looking forward to the monsters that come with them.

Yep.. Cicadas = annoying, Cicada killer wasp females that sting= menacing..

i think you are mis-reading what we were talking about.. we weren't talking about the cicadas having stingers, but the cicada-killing wasps that have stingers..

Airsoft guns work very well against cicada killer wasps... You can work on shooting moving targets...shooting a wasp out of the air is a challenge. It's scary that an airsoft gun that can shoot through the sides of a soda can or leave welts is sometimes only enough to stun these wasps.

If airsoft isn't your thing...there is always tennis....

Since the wasps are territorial, other wasps seem to like to come dive bomb the wounded or dead ones....makes it easier to take other ones out...

i think you are mis-reading what we were talking about.. we weren't talking about the cicadas having stingers, but the cicada-killing wasps that have stingers..

OH, OK, Never mind. :)

Never had a problem with those either and my wife is deathly afraid of being stung. The problem was less and less each time as more and more land was developed and they are nothing like they were when I was 10 years old and living in the suburbs for the first time in my life. We had two female cousins visit us as we were all city folk and I lived near a beach and it was like a resort to my family. After two days of Cicadas they packed their bags and went home.

The cicada wasps are scary looking fo sho. The things look like yellow jackets but are the size of shrimp. First time I ever saw one I was sitting in a parking lot around sunset with my dog and about 5-6 of the things come flying out of a hole in the ground.

When it comes to killing bees, nothing beats gasoline and some good old fire.

Back in the 1979 swarm I lived in Warren Township and my teenage son cut lawns(yes kids worked in those days).

He had one customer that the swarm was so bad he could not cut the lawn. The mower was mulching them and throwing out liquid as they came out of the ground, He came home to get me and when we got there you couldn't walk without scrunching many of them with each step.

Been there, done that, no visa or passport.

Haven't seen any cicada evidence this year. I saw some sheddings and holes a couple years ago.

11 years rings a bell, I know we had a big bloom in the early to mid 2000s in jersey.