vladtepes

Think before you post...

We recently had a pro 2nd amendment rally at the county court house here in Warren County. I am pleased to say that there were several higher local level LEO's in attendance among which were the sheriff and my townships chief of police. Both spoke well against the current spate of proposed legislation. Also, the chief has backed his words with action. Both my wife's and my gun license and purchase permits came within the last 3 months and both came in under 3 weeks from the date of application. When I commented about the unexpected speed of processing to the department secretary she told me that the chief makes sure they move along due to his feelings on people's rights.

I am glad this thread came along to remind me to write to the department as I had planned to compliment him for his words and his actions.

There's good and bad in every profession, and law enforcement is bound to step on some toes at times no matter how well handled. By and large, I think we owe a debt of gratitude to police officers the majority of the time. It would be a tough road without them.

Under 3 weeks, that is impressive. They really deserve a commendation for that.

When I dealt with NJSP handling my credit card fraud case I took a form to write the trooper a compliment. He said don't worry about it. 

What is the relevance of any opinion if it serves only to seperate and diminish someone else? Good post Vlad

See I think the problem is people who do not possess the intellectuall ability to form a rational argument, think critically, look at things from another POV (i.e. play devil's advocate), and take criticism objectively and not personal.  Their only recourse is the ad hominem attack.  Since they can not assail by argument, they resort to irrelavent attacks.

See I think the problem is people who do not possess the intellectuall ability to form a rational argument, think critically, look at things from another POV (i.e. play devil's advocate), and take criticism objectively and not personal.  Their only recourse is the ad hominem attack.  Since they can not assail by argument, they resort to irrelavent attacks.

Welcome to the internet. :D

Look if history tells us anything it is that absolute power corrupts absolutely. I never said there aren't any good cops but I have a problem with those that like to deny there are any bad ones...

Just the latest example:

http://www.inquisitr.com/663291/david-sal-silva-death-police-chief-asks-fbi-to-investigate-after-footage-of-beating-goes-missing/

Who you going to call when the good guys turn out to be no better than the bad guys?

Look if history tells us anything it is that absolute power corrupts absolutely. I never said there aren't any good cops but I have a problem with those that like to deny there are any bad ones...

Just the latest example:

http://www.inquisitr.com/663291/david-sal-silva-death-police-chief-asks-fbi-to-investigate-after-footage-of-beating-goes-missing/

Who you going to call when the good guys turn out to be no better than the bad guys?

Don't let your kid go to church... Some priests have molested children.... Don't let them go to school... Some teachers have been charged with abuse... Come to think about it... Some dentists are pretty crazy also...

There are bad people in the world.... Some are cops...

That's obvious...

Don't let your kid go to church... Some priests have molested children.... Don't let them go to school... Some teachers have been charged with abuse... Come to think about it... Some dentists are pretty crazy also...

That's obvious...

Don't bother with logic and common sense...some people dont want to hear it

I agree, bashing of any kind should stop. I also agree that folks should be able to start a discussion around topics that they are interested in or concerned about as long as it adheres to the forum's policies and etiquette guidelines (no foul language, no ad hominems, no malicious stereotyping, racial comments, name calling, obvious trolling, etc, the list goes on).

The topic of law enforcement misconduct and abuse of power is just as serious as political misconduct and abuse of power and should not be silenced outright just as we do not silence political discussions as long as they follow the rules. I'm pretty sure that is what the basis of this thread is from my observations.

That's obvious...

Don't bother with logic and common sense...some people dont want to hear it

So 9 cops beat a guy to death while he is on the ground begging for help and then show up at people's homes to coerce them into giving them their phones so they can delete the evidence and this is your response? There are bad people in the world? Wow, just wow. The difference is when ordinary bad people do bad things other ordinary people don't go out of our way to defend, deflect, conceal and ignor their actions.

So 9 cops beat a guy to death while he is on the ground begging for help and then show up at people's homes to coerce them into giving them their phones so they can delete the evidence and this is your response? There are bad people in the world? Wow, just wow. The difference is when ordinary bad people do bad things other ordinary people don't go out of our way to defend, deflect, conceal and ignor their actions.

No... Common sense dictates those people are wrong... Common sense dictates people who abuse power should be punished... But common sense also dictates that has little to nothing to do with a firearms forum...

" omg look here's a corrupt cop doing this..."

Oh... Ok...

Like what response are you seeking? What response is someone looking for that posts a 100 year old video of an incompetent cop dishcharging a gun in school... What's the point of posting that video for the millionth time?

I get it... There are bad cops... Cops that make bad choices...

Cops that break the law should be punished... Just like anyone else that breaks the law...

No one is saying they should not be..

No... Common sense dictates those people are wrong... Common sense dictates people who abuse power should be punished... But common sense also dictates that has little to nothing to do with a firearms forum...

That argument doesn't really hold water, there are many topics discussed on this site each day that have little to do with firearms. Posts about people breaking the law or doing stupid stuff that people chime we all comment on. If we all just stopped commenting because "common sense" dictated a specific response it wouldn't be much of a forum.

Think before you post- if you know some disagree with your views, and you cant tolerate other views, why in heavens name start this post to begin with? How about a new forum, we can call it -vlad. Remember, deep healing breaths, count to ten, and remember those famous words, "cant we all just get along?".

Think before you post- if you know some disagree with your views, and you cant tolerate other views, why in heavens name start this post to begin with? How about a new forum, we can call it -vlad. Remember, deep healing breaths, count to ten, and remember those famous words, "cant we all just get along?".

The forum is open to members providing their presence adds to the overall quality.... The forum was created to discuss guns... As a side the owner allows other discussion... The problem is every other thread that starts as a discussion about something... Ends in an argument about how it's the fault of the police... Or the leftists... Or this person.... Or that person... And it takes conversation and reduces it down to bickering... Arguing.. And that's not what the site is for..

That argument doesn't really hold water, there are many topics discussed on this site each day that have little to do with firearms. Posts about people breaking the law or doing stupid stuff that people chime we all comment on. If we all just stopped commenting because "common sense" dictated a specific response it wouldn't be much of a forum.

There is a difference between posting a news article and talking about it... And making threads singling out entire groups of people and complaining about them...

Ok so believe what you read. I don't know anything about it but I sure as hell don't believe the media. If they did do that then yes they are wrong. I am sure it's not that cut and dry. Remember the pepper spraying of the line of people at the college. People were ready to crucify the cop until the full video came out.

The forum is open to members providing their presence adds to the overall quality.... The forum was created to discuss guns... As a side the owner allows other discussion... The problem is every other thread that starts as a discussion about something... Ends in an argument about how it's the fault of the police... Or the leftists... Or this person.... Or that person... And it takes conversation and reduces it down to bickering... Arguing.. And that's not what the site is for..

Agree, many of them devolve into typical internet bickering but you can always just click X and leave the thread, nobody is forcing you to get in on the conversation. I realize you, specifically, are a moderator so you have a duty to do some sort of house cleaning on the public facing forums.

There is a difference between posting a news article and talking about it... And making threads singling out entire groups of people and complaining about them...

Which groups? The liberals? The commies? The politicians? The welfare leeches? I haven't been on here that long but as far as I've read it seems like pretty standard practice to complain about groups of people.

This used to be a forum that if your kid in the house happened to stumble upon, it was no big deal.... no more.

There are people on here that have absolutely no way of communicating without name calling and in a demeaning tone..... 

There are very few "discussions" on here..... some start out ok.....  but they all seem to fall into name calling and bickering.

I am sick of the way members talk to each other on here.....  it maddens me what this place as evolved into.... 

Agree, many of them devolve into typical internet bickering but you can always just click X and leave the thread, nobody is forcing you to get in on the conversation. I realize you, specifically, are a moderator so you have a duty to do some sort of house cleaning on the public facing forums.

Which groups? The liberals? The commies? The politicians? The welfare leeches? I haven't been on here that long but as far as I've read it seems like pretty standard practice to complain about groups of people.

Take liberals for example...

I see tons of lumping them together.... I know quite a few socially liberal people that have NO interest in taking your guns... Quite a few that would show you the respect you deserve as a human... That is until they stumble across forums like this... And read how everyone thinks they are the scum of the earth...

Take politicians...

Most are liars... But that does not mean that all are...

The reason that the conversations never end well is because we rarely talk about individual actions... It starts like that... But goes down hill fast...

Look at this NY cop doing this...

Yeah NY cops are the worst...

Yeah you can't trust cops...

So it quickly goes from look at the actions of this one individual... To let's talk about this entire group...

I wish I could change font size. Cause it would be huge. You want this to be a better forum? Stop the BS about analyzing every fooking thing in the news and stick to our hobbies! If I want to learn about news, I'll get it in the conventional means and draw my own conclusions. What the Frack is wrong with you people? I know I can ignore threads except for gun related hobby stuff. But it's getting fooking harder and harder everyday because you literally have to read between lines to learn anything here lately. I wish to gawd that politics and this type of behavior wasn't allowed here. Geezus!

Suggestion to admin: Create a "Whine and Dine" area and leave all pissing and moaning there. Hide it from public view! This way we don't have to constantly sift through this bullsheit everyday! Then create a new user group access level and call it the "Whining Group". Instead of issuing warnings, throw them all in there! Maybe we can start educating and learning about weaponolgy without the abusive threads.

:facepalm:

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I wish I could change font size. Cause it would be huge. You want this to be a better forum? Stop the BS about analyzing every fooking thing in the news and stick to our hobbies! If I want to learn about news, I'll get it in the conventional means and draw my own conclusions. What the Frack is wrong with you people? I know I can ignore threads except for gun related hobby stuff. But it's getting fooking harder and harder everyday because you literally have to read between lines to learn anything here lately I wish to gawd that politics and this type of behavior wasn't allowed here. Geezus!

Suggestion to admin: Create a "Whine and Dine" area and leave all pissing and moaning there. Hide it from public view! This way we don't have to constantly sift through this bullsheit everyday! Then create a new user group access level and call it the "Whining Group". Instead of issuing warnings, throw them all in there! Maybe we can start educating and learning about weaponolgy without the abusive threads.

:facepalm:

Typos courtesy Apple...

+ 10000

Font size changed....LOL

So you can have access to the Whine and Dine area. But at least all this flotsam and jetsam won't be plastered all over various areas. ;)

Not that i disagree with any of that but just don't go in the general forum.. pretty simple.. nothing but off topic mumbo jumbo that keeps me pretty entertained throughout the day.

Typos courtesy Apple...

You mean like you did in this thread? Tell me this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. This stuff is just too good.

This forum has gone downhill in the past few months. Everyone wants to b!tch and complain about something. "I don't want to read about this subject, so no body should be able to read about it."

If you don't want to read about politics and current news events, stay out of the "GENERAL DISCUSSION" sub-forum.

Moderators should start sending out hurt feelings reports to every cry baby on this forum.

hurtfeelings.jpg

You mean like you did in this thread? Tell me this isn't the pot calling the kettle black. This stuff is just too good.

not singling out a group... correcting a problem that is no longer going to be tolerated.. there is a difference.. 

Well said, I guess.  Yes, we all need to be united... Out of many, One!

Like it or not, however, there is still the sad issue that LEOs enforce the ridiculous laws in this state, and they DO have discretion.  And, that gun owners whether women, minorities, white fat guys, even LEOS, etc. they are all guilty until proven innocent under this system whenever a sports, hunting, or protection tool with a barrel is used.   And that is where that discretion is needed. Therefore, it is imperative that LEOs have high standards, and strive to be peace rather than law enforcement officers, just as clergy, teachers, and yes, politicians, they should all have higher standards for the way they conduct themselves.  And, the public should have respect and consideration for the officers that put themselves on the line every day.  It's about respect.  Stop viewing everyone you meet as suspects.  If you are the public, understand that officers have to secure the scene and make quick decisions with a lot of power and weight behind them.

However, I don't feel this forum is going down hill any.  Most people have honest, heartfelt discussions. 

This forum has gone downhill in the past few months. Everyone wants to b!tch and complain about something. "I don't want to read about this subject, so no body should be able to read about it."

If you don't want to read about politics and current news events, stay out of the "GENERAL DISCUSSION" sub-forum.

guess what.. the rules of this site state that the general section is NOT for politics... for the very reason of avoiding arguing.. there is a separate forum for politics that exists for that... it is only for premium members... if you do not wish to be one there is no issue with that at all.. 

just find another site to talk about politics on... 

and keep the discussion here geared towards firearms.. which is the intention of the site...

You don't seem to get it John... Go back and re-read my post regarding sifting through shiet. Not every post is bad in the general area. But finding decent ones are getting progressively harder. Why should we have to?

Moderators should start sending out hurt feelings reports to every cry baby on this forum.

Typos courtesy Apple...

Well said, I guess.  Yes, we all need to be united... Out of many, One!

Like it or not, however, there is still the sad issue that LEOs enforce the ridiculous laws in this state, and they DO have discretion.  And, that gun owners whether women, minorities, white fat guys, even LEOS, etc. they are all guilty until proven innocent under this system whenever a sports, hunting, or protection tool with a barrel is used.   And that is where that discretion is needed. Therefore, it is imperative that LEOs have high standards, and strive to be peace rather than law enforcement officers, just as clergy, teachers, and yes, politicians, they should all have higher standards for the way they conduct themselves.  

I disagree to an extent.. the law is fairly clear.. and when you consider the population of the state... and the amount of law enforcement... there are only the tiniest fraction of issues when talking about legal gun owners...

the gun laws in this state NEED to change... but that is not the job of the police...