silverado427

Has anyone ever tried internet phone systems

I'm just curious, I just got fed up with getting ripped off by verizon. I went with a system called Omma telo. Its internet based system, I just hooked it up and it seem's to work ok . I was just wondering if anyone has any problems with it. It has great reviews. here's the link

http://go.ooma.com/offer/index_D.html?purchase_code=B-SAVE&gclid=CMXLmr2go7cCFQqk4AodlSQAOg

Yes, about 8 years ago before I got Fios. We have VZ DSL and I was using VoicePulse but when Fios came to town did the Fios bundle. VoicePulse   is a  NJ company and we liked them. VZ has Digital Voice, is that the one you are dumping?  We still have the basic VZ landline

I have a VOIP line through cablevision for one line, and use magicjack plus for another line - both work great.  Magicjack plus plugs into your router - no computer needed and backfeeds you house line.  I think the unit cost about $60 and I got five years of service for $100.

we use vonage for I think $19 a month. Works fine unless internet is out

Ooma and obihai are prob the best choices. They're free plus a small amount each month for taxes and 1.99 if you need e911 service. You just have to buy the box outright for about 50-120 depending on what features you need. If you have questions about either service I'd be happy to go into further detail.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk HD

NetTalk.... Better than MJ and more customizable with free live phone support....

Got rid of MJ years ago.... Never looked back. I have 3 lines with NT and one line with FIOS for 4 lines. All working fine.

NetTalk- http://www.nettalk.com/

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

911 is fine with them. You have to enter your info in the account and it gets re-transmitted.

Are there still issues with 911 service from the VOIP carriers. I know this was an issue in the early days and haven't heard if ti still is.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

I have been using VOIP for a long while. I was a Vonage subscriber from 2003 to 2008. I have tried about a dozen VOIP services.

Currently I use CallCentric because I am a low volume outgoing user and I use my cellphone for outgoing calls. 

911 is not a problem. They actually contract out to a third party provider. FCC now requires it for US VOIP accounts. They charge $1.50/month for it.

It works pretty much as long as you have internet, which means for Sandy we had no house phone because the cable company has little in the way of backup power. 

I have played around with IP PBXes and smartphone apps. Very flexible what you can do.

I also use Google Voice, been an early user since it became available. 

Ooma is OK. You use to pay once and forget about it until something happened and you had to start paying about $3 in tax per month.

Magic jack is not bad too and now you don't even need a computer to use it. 

I used to have magic jack....stupied good price but the service sucked.  Now this was when the system was first introduced so i cant speak for how it now.  But it REALLY sucked when i had it.  :(

Initially it was bad. Demand outstripped server capacity. Now they are good, and no computer required. 

I have been using Nettalk for about 2 months and it is okay.  I do not think it has the rock-solid quality of the Vz landline, and I notice a slight latency.  But it is at least as good as the mobile phone.  Obviously if I lose power or internet I also lose the phone, those are the only downsides I see.  But the price is great.

I bought a unit that connects through my wifi, or it can plug directly into a wired RJ45 Ethernet port.

Based on reviews I read, Nettalk seemed slightly better (or less bad) than MJ.  Ooma seemed best, but had higher initial cost.  I may re-evaluate after a year and consider the Ooma route... 

I switched because Verizon is DSL only in my area, and even that is pretty slow--I used to get 1.5 Mbps, but for unknown reasons it dropped to half that about three months ago.  Technician came out and told me there was no way I could get over about 700Kbps--physically impossible.  Even though I had been getting the higher speed for almost two years.  So I dropped verizon and switched to Comcast Internet (at 20 Mbps) with Nettalk.

Well I am here to promote Vonage... because my wife works there and its half of our income :) ... But no joking, its a great service and we've had it ourselves for years and I've had no complaints.. plus the free features like simulring/call forwarding/mobile app link up etc are handy.. plus visual voicemail when people leave you voicemails (texts/emails you a printout of the voicemail left to you)...

I recommend it, but then again, I may be partial to it ;-)

I've been using www.phonepower.com for 5 years now. Even my fax and alarm system both work through it with no problems. Lots of great features, like cloned line in which you can have two active phones in the house both sharing the same single number. It means two people can talk to two different people at the same time, included in the service.

Great international rates that my wife uses to call Brazil a lot. Beats those scratch off phone cards.

We have the Comcast phone.  It's been rocky.  It works probably ~85% of the time.  We have had a few issues with it, where suddenly the "signal" to the cable modem wasn't strong enough(keep in mind nothing was changed or even touched). 

None of them have rock solid quality as in the conventional big company land lines. But the secret is to tweak your priorities and if possible, do not use the wifi portion of it unless you have to.

I couldn't see getting more land lines from Verizon because they are not used much. This fits the bill. You can't beat it for 30 bux a year per line...

We have our main house line through Verizon. Then a Nettalk for my fax, my desk and my wife's part time office down stairs. You can't beat it for their service and price.So that's 4 boip lines all working fine.

PS... Like MJ, NT also has an iphone app... dunno about other smartphones.

I have been using Nettalk for about 2 months and it is okay.  I do not think it has the rock-solid quality of the Vz landline, and I notice a slight latency.  But it is at least as good as the mobile phone.  Obviously if I lose power or internet I also lose the phone, those are the only downsides I see.  But the price is great.

I bought a unit that connects through my wifi, or it can plug directly into a wired RJ45 Ethernet port.

Based on reviews I read, Nettalk seemed slightly better (or less bad) than MJ.  Ooma seemed best, but had higher initial cost.  I may re-evaluate after a year and consider the Ooma route... 

I switched because Verizon is DSL only in my area, and even that is pretty slow--I used to get 1.5 Mbps, but for unknown reasons it dropped to half that about three months ago.  Technician came out and told me there was no way I could get over about 700Kbps--physically impossible.  Even though I had been getting the higher speed for almost two years.  So I dropped verizon and switched to Comcast Internet (at 20 Mbps) with Nettalk.

Go with ooma. I've been a Vonage customer for 10 years now and I'm ready to jump. The service is great, but they keep raising their prices.

Sounds like Comcast.  Plan(TV, internet, phone) started off as $150(taxes/fees included). It crept up to $196 and I called and complained and had them drop it back to $151.  Within 2 months , it's already back at $174.