johnnyrebel70

Nj assembly bills going to Christie

Those three proposals are fairly benign. Christie won't sign the .50 cal ban, as he's stated that we already have enough gun laws. 

More importantly, he didn't get that bypass operation for his health. He wants to run for president. To do so successfully, in a nation where 40+ states are must-issue, he's going to have to show some testosterone on the gun issue.

In this state the only way we're going to achieve some semblance of sanity is by compromise. I don't mean selling out. I'm talking about some of the things the liberals claim to care about in exchange for things that gun owners care about.

If I were governor and facing this hostile legislature, I would attempt to trade expanded background checks for further legislation that loosens up other aspects of gun ownership and purchase. Reasonable allowances for traveling with firearms, for example. Streamlining the NICS system. 

Can anyone think of any other changes that would not be too much of a shock to the hardline anti-gunners? 

The only way to freedom in this state is by stages. 

Since when did mag limitations revolve around what ranges allow?? If a range only allowed 5rds, I wouldn't be going there. As a matter of fact, if a range limited capacity lower than legal limit at all, I wouldn't go there. Saying that it's "liveable" is flat out ridiculous. This law would apply to more than just range use. So if bad guy breaks in and attempts to rape and pillage and you put a few in him center mass, then his buddy comes in after him...what do you do?

This is a PERFECT example:

http://iwidk.com/2013/01/07/mother-guarded-her-9-year-old-twins-in-attic-against-burglar-shot-man-in-face-and-neck-five-times/#more-47655

Now please go troll somewhere else.

Can't open the link on my work comp, since when is asking a question trolling, If you have no valid reason to have large capacity magazines perhaps you really don't need them. I asked YOU to state why not post a link. Come on people you all sit on here and whine about your rights and how these laws infringe, time to speak up and give a good fact based statement why.

Why? And don't say its a right of 2A. Give a good fact based statement on why you need large capacity magazines?

Don't say 'don't say it's a right of 2A'.   It's not your place to arbitrarily exclude the strongest arguments from discussion.  We've already got elected officals doing that.

johnnyrebel70, on 20 May 2013 - 2:16 PM, said:snapback.png

Why? And don't say its a right of 2A. Give a good fact based statement on why you need large capacity magazines?

Need isnt the issue. Need is subjective. Do you need a 8,000 sq' house? Need a $80,000 car to go the A&P?The point is they want to minimize the mag cap down  from an existing mag cap. Its a war of attrition thats trying to take away more of our legally aquired possessions, just happens to be firearms & mags at the moment.Oh yea, Rights too.

So illegal guns will be grandfathered for 179 days?

Apparently so!

I can't wait to see how many M1 Carbines emerge from their dark hiding places after more that 20 years for what could be their last range visits here in the not-so-Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan.

Those three proposals are fairly benign. Christie won't sign the .50 cal ban, as he's stated that we already have enough gun laws. 

More importantly, he didn't get that bypass operation for his health. He wants to run for president. To do so successfully, in a nation where 40+ states are must-issue, he's going to have to show some testosterone on the gun issue.

In this state the only way we're going to achieve some semblance of sanity is by compromise. I don't mean selling out. I'm talking about some of the things the liberals claim to care about in exchange for things that gun owners care about.

If I were governor and facing this hostile legislature, I would attempt to trade expanded background checks for further legislation that loosens up other aspects of gun ownership and purchase. Reasonable allowances for traveling with firearms, for example. Streamlining the NICS system. 

Can anyone think of any other changes that would not be too much of a shock to the hardline anti-gunners? 

The only way to freedom in this state is by stages. 

Here's an example of a compromise that everyone should be happy with but no one will consider, because it might make our lives easier:

1) UBC

2) Internet portal which allows anyone to do a secure background check without going through an FFL

3) Photo FID, separate from DL, which doesn't expire.

I actually presented this to both Cryan and Stender, and they thought it was reasonable. Of course, no response when followed up by email. NJ2AS has made similar suggestions with no response.

I think the real point is, they don't want their fingers on anything that might be characterized as making our live easier.

Here's an example of a compromise that everyone should be happy with but no one will consider, because it might make our lives easier:

1) UBC

2) Internet portal which allows anyone to do a secure background check without going through an FFL

3) Photo FID, separate from DL, which doesn't expire.

I actually presented this to both Cryan and Stender, and they thought it was reasonable. Of course, no response when followed up by email. NJ2AS has made similar suggestions with no response.

I think the real point is, they don't want their fingers on anything that might be characterized as making our live easier.

Managing the system to implement the above is going to cost $$$$.. since they're already predicting a budget shortfall of about a half-mill this year (and next).. adding anything new shouldn't even be a consideration.

Managing the system to implement the above is going to cost $$$$.. since they're already predicting a budget shortfall of about a half-mill this year (and next).. adding anything new shouldn't even be a consideration.

Fine with me. As long as "something new" includes the whole new high tech FID and the newfangled ammo purchase reporting system. That's going to be expensive and even worse if we're reapplying for our FIDs every 4 years and also need to reapply for P2Ps every 4 years if we want to buy handgun ammo. Let's keep to status quo until we have an unexpected budget windfall. There's a compromise I can live with. Unfortunately, I don't think it's what they have in mind. A certain amount of the spending (the part that hurts us) will be a necessary measure to save the children.

According to NJ.com article:

Three bills just passed without debate. 

A3717 - Requires submission of certain mental health records to National Instant Criminal Background Check System.  

Vote: 67-11 

A3796 - Provides 180-day window for persons to dispose of certain unlawfully possessed firearms.  

Vote: 48-26 (6 abstentions) 

A3797 - Requires collection and reporting of certain firearms information to interjurisdictional database; requires information relating to crime of firearms trafficking be included in annual Uniform Crime Report 

Vote: 51-27

A3717 is not headed to the governor. It will have to pass the Senate again first because it was amended.

Fine with me. As long as "something new" includes the whole new high tech FID and the newfangled ammo purchase reporting system. That's going to be expensive and even worse if we're reapplying for our FIDs every 4 years and also need to reapply for P2Ps every 4 years if we want to buy handgun ammo. Let's keep to status quo until we have an unexpected budget windfall. There's a compromise I can live with. Unfortunately, I don't think it's what they have in mind. A certain amount of the spending (the part that hurts us) will be a necessary measure to save the children.

I would be ok with a new FID as long as all the electronic mumbo-jumbo is kept off of it.  A non-expiring photo ID.

I'd even consider compromise of the FID expiring every 4 if P2P's are abolished and everything is covered by the single ID.

The electronic tracking stuff... nope.

So illegal guns will be grandfathered for 179 days?

Apparently so!

I can't wait to see how many M1 Carbines emerge from their dark hiding places after more that 20 years for what could be their last range visits here in the not-so-Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan.

More like you can turn it in without being prosecuted. Im sure a range visit with any one of those listed would get you a free trip to county ;)

I would be ok with a new FID as long as all the electronic mumbo-jumbo is kept off of it.  A non-expiring photo ID.

I'd even consider compromise of the FID expiring every 4 if P2P's are abolished and everything is covered by the single ID.

The electronic tracking stuff... nope.

If it takes 6 months to get an FID now with just new applicants, how long will it take with 25% of the FID population reapplying every year, on top of the new applicants?

OK, if this is a serious question...

1.  Greater than 10 rounds is not large capacity, it's standard capacity.

2. Many guns are shipped stock with greater than 10 rounds.  That means manufacturers or dealers need to make changes so 

we can buy them.  This makes it more difficult to purchase certain pistols.

3. If 2 guys break into my home with many rounds, I want as many as possible to keep the field equal and to have a chance.

4. We are already restricted with mag capacity at 15.  When does it stop?

5. If 10 round mag limit passes, less than 10 will be next.

6. The mag limit restriction has no bearing on safety.  It's only purpose is to limit the law abiding.

Do you see why this is bad?

If it takes 6 months to get an FID now with just new applicants, how long will it take with 25% of the FID population reapplying every year, on top of the new applicants?

True.. though what's the breakdown between new FID and new P2P's?  In theory, the load required to handle P2Ps per-purchase would go away if they were a one-time application as part of the FID.  Also, a FID "renewal" wouldn't have to follow the same process as a first-time application.

Not saying I'd be for it.. but I'd be willing to talk about it.

True.. though what's the breakdown between new FID and new P2P's?  In theory, the load required to handle P2Ps per-purchase would go away if they were a one-time application as part of the FID.  Also, a FID "renewal" wouldn't have to follow the same process as a first-time application.

Not saying I'd be for it.. but I'd be willing to talk about it.

Good point on the P2Ps. I didn't think about that.

According to the bill, the renewal will have all the same requirements as a new application. So, "renewal" is a misnomer. It wouldn't be so terrible if it were a matter of dropping by the PD with a check and a signature, like renewing your DL. But that's not what they have in mind.

Standard capacity magazine is a made up term similar to assault weapon. The standard capacity magazine for my rifle is 30 rounds. High capacity would be either 40 rounds or a 100 rd drum. If I ever had a need for a 100 drum there would be Chinese tanks rolling down the street, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to have one.

Here is a dramatic enactment of why mag limits only hurt the legal gun owners:

There are a LOT of gun owners that buy a gun and just store it forever in a safe, "just in case".  They rarely train at all, and with handguns less.  It basically sits idle for self defense.  I have a lot of novice friends / acquaintances like this. 

I'm not advocating this type of SD gun behavior.  Just simply stating the fact that a lot of people do not frequent the range with their SD gun....  I want max mag limits for them as well, because they likely will only have 1 loaded mag in their home. 

Well done, Sir.