Maksim

What guns have their own calibers?

Wifey got me a Sig 229 in 357 Sig in NH and it got me thinking.... what other guns are there that had calibers designed for them?

Glock 37/38/39 in 45 Glock, aka 45 GAP
Sig 226/229 in 357 Sig
Desert Eagle in 50 Action Express
Smith Wesson 500 in 500 S&W

What others? I think it is stupid, but might start picking them up.

What gun was 41 Action Express designed for?  Wasn't it first in the Browning High Power or the Baby Desert Eagle?

Was the 460 designed for SW? I thought it was, just did not know for sure.

Info that I've seen states that it was a joint project of Hornady and S&W circa 2005, and that the X-Frame pistol was modified during the project to accommodate the new round.

.475 Wildey Magnum

Cases are formed from 284 Winchester brass with the neck opened to take a .475" bullet, and the length is the same as the 45WinMag. Velocity at 100 yards from the muzzle is equivalent to the muzzle velocity of the 44Mag.

http://www.wildeyguns.com/wildey.html

For what gun? =)

That is the point of this exercise.... =P

Kel-tec PMR30?

It's a lot older then I would have guessed from wikipedia.....

The .22 WMR was introduced in 1959 by Winchester, but was not used by Winchester until the Winchester Model 61 slide rifle could be chambered for it, in 1960.[2] By that time, Smith and Wesson and Ruger had revolvers for it, and Savage had come out with the Model 24 and since late 2012, the model 42, a more modern update than the 24, a .22/.410 revolver. It was the only successful rimfire cartridge introduced in the 20th Century

I purchased my Baby Eagle 41 AE shortly after this concept came out.. I hemmed and hawed over the jericho for a few years before buying the DE. 

FROM WIKIPEDIA EXCELLENT WRITE UP..

The .41 Action Express was designed by Evan Whildin, vice president of Action Arms, in 1986. It was based on the .41 Magnum case, cut down to fit in a 9mmP frame, and using a rebated rim. The .41 AE was thought to be a very attractive concept, as the rebated rim allows a simple change of barrel, mainspring, and magazine to convert many 9mm guns to .41 AE.

The powerful 10mm Auto cartridge, which had been suffering from poor acceptance from its start in the early 1980s, was eventually accepted by theFBI in a reduced power, subsonic loading. Smith & Wesson then decided the 10mm Auto was too much cartridge for the reduced power loading, and that the .45 ACP sized guns that chambered it were too heavy and bulky; out of this came the .40 S&W, a shortened 10mm Auto case, designed to fit in a 9mm-sized gun, with a reduced pressure loading that allowed a lighter, easier to shoot gun. Because most ammunition manufacturers backed the .40 S&W, there was little use for the very similar .41 AE, so production of both firearms and ammunition was soon phased out.

Factory chambered [edit]

Aftermarket conversion [edit]

In 1988, IMI also developed a 9 mm Action Express, which was a .41 AE necked down to 9 mm. It offered a much larger case capacity than the standard 9 mm case, allowing velocities that matched that of the .357 Magnum when loaded with light bullets. This move anticipated the parallel development of the .357 SIG from the .40 S&W in 1994.

Ammunition and firearms manufacturers usually work hand in hand with the development of new calibers. Doesn't do the ammo manufacturer any good to come out with a new caliber if there are no guns chambered for it. Likewise, stupid to manufacture a firearm in a caliber for which there is no ammo.

While a lot of the manufacturers names have been dropped, in common usage, from the caliber name, don't forget that some of the most notable calibers and guns came about this way.

.38 S&W Special

.357 Remington Magnum

.44 S&W Special

.44 Remington Magnum

along with a plethora of rifle cartridges.

Another path to caliber creation is wildcatting, where a standard caliber has the case dimensions changed by handloaders (necked-up, necked-down, shoulder angle changed, shoulder placement changed, etc.) and it becomes popular enough the a firearms manufacturer takes note and standardizes the caliber and starts chambering it in firearms from the factory and ammo manufacturers make ammo for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ammunition and firearms manufacturers usually work hand in hand with the development of new calibers. Doesn't do the ammo manufacturer any good to come out with a new caliber if there are no guns chambered for it. Likewise, stupid to manufacture a firearm in a caliber for which there is no ammo.

While a lot of the manufacturers names have been dropped, in common usage, from the caliber name, don't forget that some of the most notable calibers and guns came about this way.

.38 S&W Special

.357 Remington Magnum

.44 S&W Special

.44 Remington Magnum

along with a plethora of rifle cartridges.

Another path to caliber creation is wildcatting, where a standard caliber has the case dimensions changed by handloaders (necked-up, necked-down, shoulder angle changed, shoulder placement changed, etc.) and it becomes popular enough the a firearms manufacturer takes note and standardizes the caliber and starts chambering it in firearms from the factory and ammo manufacturers make ammo for it.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I knew someone would mention S&W's bevy of trendsetters!

Here's a little brain teaser:

This question only applies to factory produced firearms and commercially produced ammunition. That being said - there was one firearm model that was only chambered in this one caliber. It was the only gun, from all manufacturers, that was ever chambered for this caliber.

Name the gun and/or the caliber (if you get the one you will know the other).

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This really wasn't a thread hijack was it? - Seems applicable to the title.