maintenanceguy

Day Trip Ideas for the Family

Looking for day trip suggestions for some family fun tomorrow.  It looks like 3 young teen girls, a 6 year old boy, and two 40 something parents all looking for something to do.  We're in south jersey and looking for something within a couple of hours drive.

We've done DC, Baltimore, Lancaster, Lewes Ferry, Cabelas.

I've you've found something fun in NJ, DE, PA, or NE MD, I'd like to hear about it.

any and all suggestions appreciated.

Not tomorrow but something fun to do is go tubing on the Delaware or any river you can find when it gets Warmer. Tons of fun and as safe as you want it to be. Ill post again if I can think of anything you can do this weekend

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

It's probably about 3 hours, but you could head up to New Paltz, NY and go hiking and watch the climbers. If you have never been its a great place with a neat little town. I spent most of 1995 - 2005 up there climbing hiking and camping. :)

ETA: Link to hiking info - http://www.nynjtc.org/region/shawangunk-mountains-region

Edited by High Exposure

It's probably about 3 hours, but you could head up to New Paltz, NY and go hiking and watch the climbers. If you have never been its a great place with a neat little town. I spent most of 1995 - 2005 up there climbing hiking and camping. :)

ETA: Link to hiking info - http://www.nynjtc.org/region/shawangunk-mountains-region

I've been there climbing too.  Was probably late 80's.  Still have a crate full of climbing gear in the attic that hasn't seen light in almost 20 years.  I'm sure the harnesses wouldn't fit like they used too.

how about a range day? this is a gun forum you know. i cant believe no one has said that one yet.

We just shoot in the back yard. 

Great Adventure (Six Flags)?

My daughter suggested this too.  I told her this is a place for teenagers to go with someone else's parents.

It might be expensive(?)...hot air balloon. Not sure whete either, probably PA and it might be better in the fall with the foliage.

I always wanted to do this.  Then something happened to me.  I'm not sure what it is but I get nervous on a ladder now.  Maybe it's just age but heights didn't used to bother me but somewhere along the line, I become a coward when it comes to heights.  The last time I was up in the air, I had an after hours emergency at work. Instead of calling anyone else in, I just took the bucket truck out myself - something I normally don't do.  I spent the next half hour clinging onto the side of the bucket.  I got the emergency solved but next time I'm calling in someone else.

Cape May County Zoo

We've actually done this recently.  I highly recommend this zoo to anyone in the area with kids.  Great zoo and the price is right.  I prefer cape may to the philly zoo - mostly because the crowds have always been less.

Might be a hike for you but its a pretty cool place. Bushkill Falls PA

Yes, a hike.  Probably not for this weekend but I just googled this and we're definately going to check it out sometime this summer.  Thanks.  looks very interesting.

Deep Sea Fishing?

Any suggestions on a good place to do this, where to find a boat and captain?

Yes, a hike.  Probably not for this weekend but I just googled this and we're definately going to check it out sometime this summer.  Thanks.  looks very interesting.

Any suggestions on a good place to do this, where to find a boat and captain?

I have never been on a boat anywhere in SNJ. Only in Belmar and Brielle, Norma K, Jamaica, etc. I'm not sure what they are going for right now, most likely bluefish but possibly flounder/fluke, although it's a bit early for fluke. They usually run on half day schedules so two trips a day one very early, one afternoon.

I have wanted to get down to see the Dulles annex of the Smithsonian Air & Space museum.  They have a huge hangar with all kinds of historical aircraft, including an SR-71 (which is simply an amazing aircraft) and the Enola Gay.

There's the Washington's crossing park and Monmouth Battlefield State park. And the PPB Boardwalk, which seems to be partly open, at least. Be crowded this weekend, though, but teenagers aren't exactly into booorrrinng historical stuff :)  New Hope/Lambertville, if you are into touristy trappy places with  Gay and Metrosexual  atmosphere, but there's a large variety of food. Those metros do like fine food. Sandy Hook also has a lot of places to walk/hike and a lot of history, and might not be too crowded yet

Here's a full day... Camden Aquarium and Battleship New Jersey.. Then drive right over the bridge to Philly and see the Spanish-American War cruiser Olympia and WWII/Cold War submarine Becuna.

Long Beach Island is open for business.

The Tuckerton Seaport museum is a full day too, I take my daughter there a few times a year.