Parker

New York's SAFE Act nabs another

The article should be titled; "What not to do in New York when you are from New Jersey" or "Gratuitous plug for the SAFE Act in action." Some folks just invite trouble.

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/NJ-man-found-with-guns-pot-on-Thruway-4607907.php

NJ man found with guns, pot on Thruway

By Matthew Hamilton

Published 4:57 pm, Tuesday, June 18, 2013

COEYMANS — A New Jersey man was arrested Monday morning after he was found with a trio of guns — two of which were loaded — and marijuana, State Police said Tuesday.

Gerald T. Hagan, 50, of Mahwah, N.J., was allegedly driving down the Thruway at more than 100 mph when police pulled him over at 8:03 a.m. An officer then found a Walther P22 handgun with a loaded 10-round magazine, a Glock model 19 handgun with a loaded 14-round magazine and an unloaded Bushmaster assault rifle, as well as approximately 30 grams of marijuana, police said.

Under the state's new SAFE Act, magazines can have only seven rounds in them at a time unless at a firing range.

Hagan was charged with felony second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of certain ammunition feeding devices and fifth-degree criminal possession of marijuana, both misdemeanors.

Police said Hagan was arraigned before Coeymans Town Justice Phil Crandall and sent to Albany County Jail without bail.

What unintended consequences might come from this? If you're traveling with over an ounce of pot, are you a dealer? With all of these charges, what's the breaking point for hardened criminals where they shoot the cops rather than face the charges?

We live in scary times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This guy definitely should get nominated for the Darwin award this year.

https://www.nyspnews.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31314

Well not really. Darwin awards are reserved for people who remove themselves from the gene pool, either by death or irreversably disabling their ability to reproduce (use your imagination.)

Is NYC now safer? Despite being born there and spending a third of my life living there,  I have not set foot in NYC for about 10 years. Just wondering if it is now safer due to the recent new laws? Can I go home again?  :-)

Is NYC now safer? Despite being born there and spending a third of my life living there,  I have not set foot in NYC for about 10 years. Just wondering if it is now safer due to the recent new laws? Can I go home again?  :-)

Yes its safer :)

If you heavent been to NYC in 10yrs good for you :)

Again it is safer :)

You can go home:)....just drink small sodas :)

NYC has been one of the safest American metropolises for the past 10 to 15 years but not because of the safe act.....it's now freaking Disneyland.

I see what they did to Times Square. I used to go there as a kid to visit the magic shops nearby. Now it is like Disney Land. I frequently battle with the locals in Florida who read all the stories and think that NYC is a battle zone and everyone who lives there is crazy to go out without a gun. I try to explain that many cities in Florida have worse crime rates and just because the numbers of events seems large to them because they are used to small cities, those numbers as a percentage of the population are small in comparison to other places. They read about 300 shootings and think wow, that is a lot but never consider the population and the fact that a lot of the bad stuff goes on in places most of us know enough to stay away from. :)

NYC has been one of the safest American metropolises for the past 10 to 15 years but not because of the safe act.....it's now freaking Disneyland.

NYC is still dangerous. It all depends on where. Harlem and South Bronx are still dangerous. 

NYC is also "safe" because it is smothered by the NYPD. They are everywhere. Cameras too. Bloomberg's own army. 

I see what they did to Times Square. I used to go there as a kid to visit the magic shops nearby. Now it is like Disney Land. I frequently battle with the locals in Florida who read all the stories and think that NYC is a battle zone and everyone who lives there is crazy to go out without a gun. I try to explain that many cities in Florida have worse crime rates and just because the numbers of events seems large to them because they are used to small cities, those numbers as a percentage of the population are small in comparison to other places. They read about 300 shootings and think wow, that is a lot but never consider the population and the fact that a lot of the bad stuff goes on in places most of us know enough to stay away from. :)

Not only Times Square, Washington Heights has been gentrified by 2'nd generation Dominicans,I've had al fresco brunch on MLK blvd in Harlem,Alphabet city is now overrun with expensive baby prams pushed by twenty something mothers, the meatpacking district has now become an annex to SOHO,Williamsburg is hipster heaven,Brighton beach is flush with new money from the old country,Queens has become ethnic restaurant central....but you can still get mugged in the Bronx......Sigh.