lunker

Terrific Historical Photos

read the book, "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes. he explains a lot about why that was true, but there were many fat people then. it was just the very poor, not the healthy working classes or the rich.  Today everyone is fat.

BTW, Shorpy is a great site, I have been visiting it for years!

those are incredible.

something i noticed...and it's gonna sound stupid........i didn't notice a single person slouching in any of those photos. also, it was rather silly for women to go in the ocean in their dresses.

They were bathing..

Looked like the men and women wore the same shoes... 

Great pics, thanks. 

--

About fat people, I don't know how it was 100 years ago here, but in Europe you still don't see them (at least in local definition of "fat"). 

Before I came to the US, I knew that a fat person is someone who has 20+ pounds (not 100+ pounds) more than normal body weight. 

My first "fat impression" was when I stopped by Social Security Administration and there was a girl, about 25yo/5.2ft with good 80+pounds extra weight - wow, awkward moment - I stared at her till she angrily said something to me, but I couldn't understand what. 

Great pics, thanks. 

--

About fat people, I don't know how it was 100 years ago here, but in Europe you still don't see them (at least in local definition of "fat"). 

Before I came to the US, I knew that a fat person is someone who has 20+ pounds (not 100+ pounds) more than normal body weight. 

My first "fat impression" was when I stopped by Social Security Administration and there was a girl, about 25yo/5.2ft with good 80+pounds extra weight - wow, awkward moment - I stared at her till she angrily said something to me, but I couldn't understand what. 

European cities and towns tend to be much more walkable, and more people walk. It makes a HUGE difference in how one metabolizes the modern diet. There is also a distinct difference in how baked wheat products are made which can contribute as well, although that is starting to go away very rapidly. I'd also say from the Europeans I have met that until recently they hadn't stigmatized high fat foods nearly as much as we have. Combine that with smaller portions, and it actually allows one to get full on less food and combined with the above, generates less cravings. 

European cities and towns tend to be much more walkable, and more people walk. It makes a HUGE difference in how one metabolizes the modern diet. There is also a distinct difference in how baked wheat products are made which can contribute as well, although that is starting to go away very rapidly. I'd also say from the Europeans I have met that until recently they hadn't stigmatized high fat foods nearly as much as we have. Combine that with smaller portions, and it actually allows one to get full on less food and combined with the above, generates less cravings. 

No argument here. 

Few years ago I managed to get extra 35-40 pounds - didn't really pay attention, who cares - almost everyone around is fat. Until my girlfriend took a beach photo...

It was eye opener - somehow it's different in the mirror. Took me almost year to loose 30 pounds, I write off another 10 to the age :D

I really Like this one

SHORPY_5531870507.jpg

August 1942. "Training in marksmanship helps girls at Roosevelt High School in Los Angeles develop into responsible women. Part of Victory Corps activities there, rifle practice encourages girls to be accurate in handling firearms. Practicing on the rifle range in the school's basement."

Can imagine the reaction if they did that nowadays. It does not even look like its an actual range they are using, just some hallway, with my guess would be some home made portable bullet catcher.