tj462nj

Seaside Heights Fire

My dept in Sayreville got a call to standby around 5. Shame it happened I wonder if they will ban stuffed prizes by fryer oil

Several companies from Burlington county, including Mount Laurel and Moorestown got sent to ocean county to help cover. If that tells you anything about how far they were pulling fire resources from. Moorestown to Seaside is a Looong drive in an fire truck.

I helped rebuild the Seaside Park boardwalk starting 20 feet away from Fun Town pier. We actually removed a section of boardwalk and poured concrete just in case fire trucks had too get onto the boardwalk. I know alot of the utilities under the boardwalk where replace while we where working there

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

http://news.yahoo.com/nj-boardwalk-fire-linked-sandy-damaged-wiring-181935045.html

"The boardwalk fire in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights began accidentally Thursday in aged wiring that had been compromised by salt water and sand during the Oct. 29 storm, federal and county investigators said at a news conference."

http://news.yahoo.com/nj-boardwalk-fire-linked-sandy-damaged-wiring-181935045.html

"The boardwalk fire in Seaside Park and Seaside Heights began accidentally Thursday in aged wiring that had been compromised by salt water and sand during the Oct. 29 storm, federal and county investigators said at a news conference."

DavisJim-Garfield-16-Duh-sj.jpg

Shore towns are going to have a steady go of electrical fires over ht next few decades due to this storm. Not saying this was the cause, but electrical wire that did not get replaced after being submerged will pose serious corrosion risk and worse case fire. Going to be a busy time for all FD's in the coming years.

"Seaside fire: Wires damaged by Sandy ignited boardwalk blaze, officials say"

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2013/09/seaside_boardwalk_fire_cause_investigation.html#incart_maj-story-2

Not surprised.

This is insane, all from an electrical fire

Like I said in my original post. I have witnessed first hand people trying to salvage their home ignore replacing electrical wiring even giving them the harsh reality of the onslaught of shore town fires on the horizon. It wont be as evident when 2-5 burn a month, but when you compare the stats over the next 5-10 years.. the numbers will be staggering. 

Does this actually surprise anyone?  A crappy tourist season after thousands to rebuild?  Oh darn a fire,  we're outta here.  Too bad about all the secondary damage from one person having enough and taking the easy way out.

Sure was nice of those wires to wait until after Labor Day to start a fire.

Jewish Lightning.

Christie said he wanted to puke.

I don't believe in coincidences either.  It's somewhat ironic that the fire waited until the day the NJ Firemen's Convention in Wildwood would leave only skeleton crews available and therefore create the obvious necessity of an INSTANT Mutual-Aid situation involving massive amounts of Move-Ups, Stand-By's and the need for an Incident Command and Communications Bus with an antenna farm on its' roof in order to be able to use all of the frequencies necessary to maintain a central point of Command and Control at the scene.

Eye-witness video-taped accounts of passers-by hearing "popping noises" and seeing smoke under the Kohr's stand leads me to believe that a tragic decision to NOT properly inspect submerged electrical wiring in a feeble attempt to "save the season" was indeed the cause of the initial fire.  Or someone decided to deliberately short-out the mains?  Waiting 20 minutes after arriving in full Turn-Out Gear and being video-taped by cell phones for these 20 minutes and then broadcast on Jersey Shore Hurricane News...........PRICELESS!

So to sum it all up IMHO:

Incompetence in the inspections for the C-O's after the Hurricane repairs.

Incompetence in issuing C-O's even though many hydrants were compromised or out of service altogether as a result from Sandy.

Incompetence in waiting to get water on the fire when it was indeed "controllable".

Incompetence in the first attempt at making a "fire break" only a single shovel-width across, thereby NOT denying the raging inferno its' needed fuel supply.

Superior usage of the long-standing technique of "Surround and Drown".  Guaranteed to "save the foundation", or in this case, the SAND!

Great coverage of our RINO Governator arriving via Chopper to give handshakes and hugs just before his re-election (at least he didn't use it to go to his son's baseball game this time).

Yeah, that about sums it up.........

That whole section of boardwalk was opened up and they ran or replaced electric and gas runs under the boardwalk I dont know if they where main runs or branches to feed the stores.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I don't believe in coincidences either.  It's somewhat ironic that the fire waited until the day the NJ Firemen's Convention in Wildwood would leave only skeleton crews available and therefore create the obvious necessity of an INSTANT Mutual-Aid situation involving massive amounts of Move-Ups, Stand-By's and the need for an Incident Command and Communications Bus with an antenna farm on its' roof in order to be able to use all of the frequencies necessary to maintain a central point of Command and Control at the scene.

Um...The Navy SEALs did it? What's with all the crazy Rambo talk?

You are not invited to my next bonfire. Shoo!

Um...The Navy SEALs did it? What's with all the crazy Rambo talk?

You are not invited to my next bonfire. Shoo!

Have a background in Emergency Communications and First Aid Squad and Fire.

As for your bonfire, try using 7' tall shellacked solid wood doors arranged tipi-style with a log cabin style starter containing pine 2x4's.  EPIC!

My head hurts from reading that post. Its no conspiracy..its negligence for not repairing compromised wiring. Most folks dont head to wildwood until thursday evening. There was no shortage.. there was no water shortage...

I feel bad for the IC that didnt make the call to make a trench cut sooner... but I can tell you that fighting fire in high winds is no easy chore. Put your national book of coverups away... we had a good laugh but it gets old quick

Sent from my SCH-I545

Back to the main post. I thought the same. Whats with all this we stuff. He hopped in there as it was going on. Did christie orchestrate the firemen and tell them how to handle it. No!!!! He just went there to show his face. We. Hah!! Enough of that already.

I work electrical every so often, from time to time when we buy wire it comes rolled on big wheels..  the more correct term is wire spool I guess, here's a picture

Wooden_Cable_Reel_4.jpg9c69a6fe-93dc-45a

they burn long and they burn hot enough to turn the metal support rods in them red.   Anyway instead of trashing these in the dumpster they go in my truck and eventually get disposed of in a more appropriate way.