blksheep

Day hiking trip in NJ or PA

Palisades Interstate Park along the Hudson River north of the George Washington Bridge has great hiking trails, both on top of the cliff and down alongside the Hudson River.

Also it has a really good cliff climb at the State Line Lookout - go down rock stairs and rocky paths from the top of the cliff down to the Hudson, then climb back up - 520 feet of ascent.  You know you are in decent shape if you can make the climb without stopping.

Palisades Interstate Park along the Hudson River north of the George Washington Bridge has great hiking trails, both on top of the cliff and down alongside the Hudson River.

Also it has a really good cliff climb at the State Line Lookout - go down rock stairs and rocky paths from the top of the cliff down to the Hudson, then climb back up - 520 feet of ascent.  You know you are in decent shape if you can make the climb without stopping.

This is actually really fun.  I used to do a lot of trail running along it.  I believe there was a rock slide last summer, now the terrain is a little different, according to my uncles.

http://www.njhiking.com/best_hikes_in_nj_sunfish_pond/

Very nice area located right off of rte 80, with multiple trails of varying difficulty.

This................

Live 10 minutes from here.  Let me know when your coming up.......

There is a nice loop trail for this from the Mohican Outdoor Center.  Much less crowded this time of year than from Rt80 Dunfield Creek area.

Definitely hit Sunfish Pond Loop..It awesome there. Right off Old Mine Road, easy to get to.

On the drive up, you can stop at Hot Dog Johnnys on rte 46 in buttzville.

After the hike,I alway head over to Tannersville in the Poconos, short drive, to Barley Creek for a beer, well a couple, and late lunch.

A little more strenuous hike is Mt. Tammany, just not as pretty as Sunfish Pond.

I like this one. 

Take the Giant Stairs down, use the swing on the tree by the water and go back by the river. 

The wife and i usually go here in PA

Very nice scenery and hiking and you can see migrating raptors.

If you have not been do make the trip. Also Cabelas is next door and you can hike and stock up as well.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

I haven't done many in the area but I have done this. The whole raptor thing makes it very interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

The AT is within relatively close driving distance and there's different terrain in varying areas on the PA/NJ sides. Usually you can spot some red tails and bald eagles on the ridges. Bears are frolicking around too.

Wherever you go, fall is the best time to be outside IMO so you'll have a great time.

Stokes State Forest in Sussex County NJ.

Agreed, I just took our Boy Scouts up there for a nice camping trip and a very nice 7 mile hike.  There are many trails, well-marked and on the nice park map.  You can probably do a hike from 2 to 20 miles on the park trails.

Rickett's Glen State Park in PA. 7 mile loop (half ascending and half descending) with multiple waterfalls along the way.

21 Falls. Best to go in Spring or after a lot of rainy weather otherwise the falls aren't very impressive.

Rickett's Glen State Park in PA. 7 mile loop (half ascending and half descending) with multiple waterfalls along the way.

Ricketts Glen is really nice.