boo

ugh, I wish I hadn't rented a Sig!

Still being without FID I've been relying on rentals to hone my skills. I usually shoot a Springfield XD9, but it was out so I decided to try out the Sig P229 just for the heck of it. I thought, "No chance in hell I'm buying a $1000 gun. Let me just try this thing out so I'll know that it isn't any better than guns half the price". Wrong! I couldn't have been more accurate with this gun if I had walked up to the target and poked holes in it by hand. The E2 grip felt really good, and I thinking the metal frame helped soak up the recoil. I already have an XD9 enroute, but a P229 will be my next purchase (better starting digging in the sofa for extra coins).

Anyone have an opinion on beavertailed models, e.g. enhanced elite? I did a general search on the 'net and seem to get conflicting opinions. I love the look, won't be carrying it. But my main concern is that it might force a lower grip on the gun.

I don't have an opinion on which 229 you should get but they are fantastic guns.  A little piece of advice I learned the hard way.  Don't shoot a gun that you're not prepared to buy, especially top quality guns like Sigs, H&K, etc.  Although it's not a terrible punishment to own an awesome gun.

I have a preference for the beavertail models with the standard sig grips.  I can get a plenty high grip.  I have found with the E2 grips that the beavertail isn't needed for me to get the same high grip.  I like the E2 grips on the p229, I don't like them on the p226 and p220.  So I have a p226 and p220 with beavertails and standard sig grips and a p229 with E2 grips and no beavertail.

I like the 1/2 beavertail on the p220 scorpion.  Best of both worlds, imho.

If you like shooting the sigs, you should try one with the all stainless frame, especially if you don't plan on carrying.  8 ozs heavier and soaks up even more recoil.

im still saving for a P220 Scorpion.   :nyam:

Excellent taste.

I just picked up a 1911 Nightmare after a long wait.  Put 100 rounds through it yesterday.  Absolutely love it.

I love my Sigs. The only thing I dislike (or really just have to get used to) is resting my thumb on that damn slide catch lever and having it NOT catch the slide on the last round. Again, not the gun's fault at all, It's just me being used to the thumbs forward grip.

I have a 229 platinum elite in 40/357. Took the pimped white aluminum grips off for some Packmyrs and life is good. Not something to IWB carry for sure. I also have a P220 SAS Gen II compact 45 acp. That does not have the beavertail and it shoots just a good for me. I like carrying the P220 with a IWB at 6 o'clock. I also own a pair of Glocks and they have thier place, but the Sig's are just a natural extension of my hand.

When did sigs get to be $1000? I had this sticker shock recently when I was looking at a 239 and noticed it was like $900. I bought one about 6 or 7 years ago for less then $600. I know there is inflation and stuff, but WTH Sig?

If all the other pistols are 400-600 then sigs will be more

The P22x line has been pretty high since I became interested in guns - my P226R was $825-850 2 1/2 years ago, and that was the most basic model with standard sights...the night sights add $50-75 to most Sigs, and then the higher-spec models like the Elites often adding another $100-200...throw in some crazy panic pricing, and it's pretty easy to see Sigs at $1k+.  However, do some searching either through the forum price request, or online via sites like gunbroker or CDNN, and you might find a good price (CDNN had used 229s recently for $5-600 IIRC).

My 226 is the standard, old style grips, but a friend has the P229e2, and I agree with the poster above about the P229 'working' with the e2s, while preferring the classic grips for the p220/6/8.

I'm currently most lusting after a P220 Elite Dark, but I plan to own most of the P22x line eventually.  I currently own 4 Sig pistols.

And, for a budget Sig, the Sig Pro 2022 is a good shooter.  It is a polymer frame pistol that fits your hand well...  I like my Glock 23, and carry that occasionally, but when I switch back to my SP2022, it just fits like a glove...

Good luck with your future 229 :)

I went a different route when I decided to buy my 229 - bought the classic in .22lr then got the .40 x-change kit.  So now I have both calibers for less than the .40 would have cost.  Same trigger with both, just a lot cheaper the shoot the .22.  Also have the option to get 9mm and .357sig kits.

And I agree, it's one of the most accurate hanguns I own.  If you've already shot one and it fit your hand, you can't go wrong.

I'm wondering about those exchange kits. So for example, is your p229 with a .40 exchange kit exactly identical to a factory .40 caliber p229? Or is there some sort of reliability or ammo pickiness issue? 

They should be the same gun, most of them are designed to be one platform for multiple calibers anyway, it's not like want to keep multiple patterns in inventory and machine different guns if they don't need to. For example lots of guns can be switched from 40 to 9 with a barrel, mags, and maybe extractor. Some require a new slide. Not sure how sig does it.

When did sigs get to be $1000? I had this sticker shock recently when I was looking at a 239 and noticed it was like $900. I bought one about 6 or 7 years ago for less then $600. I know there is inflation and stuff, but WTH Sig?

Since Jack Bauer used one in 24

Slugdog beat me to it. CZ 75 for about $500 is a tack driver. I shot one Sig (226 I think) and it was okay. Shot a buddies CZ 75 SP-01 and it was like the gun was MADE FOR ME. Purchased the base 75B and couldn't be happier.

Read up on CZs, try one out and save close to $500. They may not look as nice or as sexy as a SIG but they are incredibly accurate shooters with a solid, worlwide reputation.

If u shoot in Easton I can let you try mine some time.

The guy a get my ammo from has a crap load of used 226 police trade ins. I'll ask about 229's. I'm sure he'd ship to wherever.

Is it ok to share where that is?

Heh, I'm scared to try out a CZ-75, especially because I might like it so much! I pretty much set on what I'll be using my first 3 permits for, and I'll look into the CZ for the next set. Heck, I might explore requesting 6 next time, with the expectation of extending the last few. In fact, I'm calling local PD today to follow-up. I was told everything would be ready in October.

And Shawn, I'd love to know about a P229 source, though it will probably be several weeks before I can buy, and I am picky on the model I want (E2 grip and preferably the reduced reach trigger due to my small hands).

I'm still waiting on my license and permit for the 4 th week of it being on the chief's desk. So, I thought I'd go try out the sig p220 beforehand. I'm fairly set on the FNH fnx45. Now I worry about doubting myself on my decision. Should I just go do it and lust over the sig for the next several months before I can buy it?

Please say no. My wallet can't take that kind of punishment. :)