the_stranger

1911 Opinions

Starting to look for a new 1911, a more traditional gun that can be used for wild bunch CAS.

So far my options seem to be Springfield mil-spec, Remington R1, Colt 01991, Armscor (either Rock Island or model offered by Cimarron). I think Para was making a SASS 1911 did not see it on there website. Love the new Turnbull model but am not looking to spend anywhere near that for this gun.

Anyone have any of these? Any I should steer clear of or any head and shoulders above the rest?

Did I miss any?

Thanks!

Of the ones you listed, I would go with the Springer, no real reason other than I have had good luck with Springfield and I have no complaints about them. Also if there is ever a problem, Springfield's customer service is excellent. After saying that though, I would personally go with the modern category and pick up a Springfield Range Officer or Loaded. I hate those old style Mil-Spec sights.

Where are you located. I have all the one's you mentioned plus others. If you are close bring ammo and you can try them all. To be honest the one you buy should be the one that fits you best. I have the milspec, range officer, RIA in 9mm, sig scorpion, and some others.

I have about 300rds through my SR191- overjoyed it and the function had been flawless. Accuracy seems above average in my hands. I picked it up during the hysteria and probably over paid a bit but oh well. I wanted a stainless 1911 that looked good to me. And it fits the bill. Although I would like to pick up someplace grips to match the black slide release, safety etc

Thanks all.

Those were the models  knew met this reuqrement:

"non-adjustable “military style” rear sights and blade type front sights"

@BlueLineFinish,

I really appreciate that but I'm about a mile from the Delaware, although close to 78.

Starting to look for a new 1911, a more traditional gun that can be used for wild bunch CAS.

So far my options seem to be Springfield mil-spec, Remington R1, Colt 01991, Armscor (either Rock Island or model offered by Cimarron). I think Para was making a SASS 1911 did not see it on there website. Love the new Turnbull model but am not looking to spend anywhere near that for this gun.

Anyone have any of these? Any I should steer clear of or any head and shoulders above the rest?

Did I miss any?

Thanks!

I got the turnbull 1911 WW1 - it is extreemly beatuful, and shoots exceptionally well. I did a 4" group at 25 yards first time out with standard ball, standing 2 hand. Not an easy feet with the small sights and no checkering on front and back of grip. The gun is custom fitted. The TB customer service - none better. It really is a steel to get an exquisitly (truly) blued (not blackish) custom fiited gun for 1950$

I got the turnbull 1911 WW1 - it is extreemly beatuful, and shoots exceptionally well. I did a 4" group at 25 yards first time out with standard ball, standing 2 hand. Not an easy feet with the small sights and no checkering on front and back of grip. The gun is custom fitted. The TB customer service - none better. It really is a steel to get an exquisitly (truly) blued (not blackish) custom fiited gun for 1950$

PS Lifetime warrenty of course.

Well if I did go for the Turnbull Sass model I'd never be able to change my sass alias - it gets engraved on the slide. :)

I have the Para Ordnance SSP. Very accurate, nice 1911. I plan on selling it, in fact I'm taking the pictures later today so I can post it. It looks like this one, but with VG grips, extended slide release, and wear marks:

11448_1.jpg

If you're interested, PM me and I'll let you know when I list it here.

I don't know all of the rules for Wild Bunch CAS, but I assume that they want the most authentic-looking type guns.

To me, this would mean a gun with the crappy GI sights.

I own an Auto Ordnance with the lousy GI sights.  Para Ordnance makes a GI Expert with the lousy sights as well.  Both will run you around $500.

I've reviewed my Auto Ordnance 1911 here before.  It's not designed to be a target gun.  It's a WWII reproduction of a minute-of-badguy gun.  I can put a hole somewhere in the bowling-pin of a man-sized target at 10 yards, which was pretty much what the 1911 was designed to do anyway. 

There are better 1911's out there for the money but they may not be aesthetically correct.  I believe civil war reenactors called it "Farbiness."