EWC88

Exact reason why I hate snow

So when I was younger I loved it, but as soon as I got my first knee surgery in soph or junior year in high school. Since then I had my other knee done (last year). Well just lastnight this lovely damn snow caused me to have a nice slip and fall and I felt my calf go one way and thigh go other. After laying in the snow for atleast 10mins with my friends dog laying next to me (he was in house) I was able to get up, with the dogs help. Now I'm greatly in pain and have my lovely appointment today at 1:45 where I'll probably hear I need surgery again. So this is my BIG F YOU to the snow!

Sorry for rant.

Not saying your this old....... But my Grandmother had a great saying.....

"getting old is not for sissy's" .... She was a real firecracker.....LOL

I'm 25 and being compared to a grandmother! Lol jk.

I deal with the pain but damn do I hate surgerys. I will admit it I am the BIGGEST sissy when it comes to needles, now tattoos I have that's not painful, but a needle like that yup I'm a girl.

njpilot- your lucky you never had to have surgeries! This would be my third on this knee. Now the second one was nothing just a quick slice off a piece of ligament that was hanging. I'm hoping I don't need surgery and maybe I just twisted it hardcore. But will see after this visit and then probably a visit to X-ray/MRI doc.

I'm 25 and being compared to a grandmother! Lol jk.

I deal with the pain but damn do I hate surgerys. I will admit it I am the BIGGEST sissy when it comes to needles, now tattoos I have that's not painful, but a needle like that yup I'm a girl.

njpilot- your lucky you never had to have surgeries! This would be my third on this knee. Now the second one was nothing just a quick slice off a piece of ligament that was hanging. I'm hoping I don't need surgery and maybe I just twisted it hardcore. But will see after this visit and then probably a visit to X-ray/MRI doc.

Oh Man..... too young for those issue...... Get Better man.... 

Yea I always hear people saying I am way to young for both knees to already have ACL replacements. Lovely football in highschool shreaded the first knee, and a brutal fall on concrete ripped the other. Now I have this incident.

Now on my rule of life: if I live anywhere with snow I am a hermit. I don't care if it ruins concrete I will make sure every winter where ever I go I'll have salt in my truck and just dumped piles of it anywhere I walk so this doesn't happen lol.

I have a bum knee too (HS soccer) and I tore my IT band about 2years ago. As sort of a joke my wife bought me for xmas these slip on cleats that slip/pull over your boots. I think she got em at kohls. I wear them when i walk the dog and they have saved my ass more than once. Although i'll never admit that to her.

GRIZ- yea knee pains suck, I am hoping I don't need surgery but if I do this will be last hopefully!

PeteF- oh I told my friend how well his dog was during that incident. The dog was scared at first but then came right to my side and laid down next to me while I was flipping out. As I said to when I was ready to get up, luckily this dog is a abnormally HUGE lab never seen one this big, so she got up and came to my side and let me hold on her back to pull up. Treats were giving in the boat loads lol but a toy I will be getting her.

OK, now I'm going to get ragged on:  I like snow.

I feel bad for all you gentlemen with injuries and infirmities, but I get a lot of exercise shoveling, especially this morning when there was only a half inch on the drive and I walked for about an hour pushing it off.

When it is heavier, the snow blower needs to be manhandled and that is exercise.  Where I live there are no safe roads to walk on and I need to drive a couple miles to get to a good walking area.

I will not go to a gym and have no patience for a treadmill, but a morning like today was invigorating.  I am 72 ;-)

Rag on!

OlderGuy: Rock on!!

I don't mind the snow. It's easy to gripe about the extra work it causes me but its all about perspective. When my wife has to work weither I have to or not, I get up and warm her car, clear off the snow and shovel a path from the house to her car.

I will never be a ninja; moving quietly isn't in my nature. While getting up to take care of the snow I awoke my son (4-1/2). He loves our days off together so waking up and realizing it was he and I got him very excited. 05:30 is not an exciting time for me. Nonetheless he and I hung out, watched TV, played and then after breakfast spent hours in the man cave.

I got some projects completed including scoping his rifle. His rifle is a Romanian 1969 Trainer .22 which has a non-standard top rail. I had to dremmel the scope mount to get it to fit correctly. I also finally got him to hold the rifle correctly and to repeat all the safety rules to me. I'm excited to get him to the range this year.

So.. Today the snow was a blessing for me.

Well came back from doctor. There is blood fluid for sure in knee he said. So got X-ray instantly and he said my screws from previous surgery are intact perfectly still, so I'll need to get a MRI to see if its torn or just fluid. As much as I hate needles I hoping just need it drained.

That's good news then :)

The bad news is that it appears there will be a major storm next week that has the potential for  12+ inches of snow across most of NJ, more so north than south, but it's all up in the air still and could end up as rain.  Need to keep an eye on it.

I love the snow! Used to hate it until I started snowboarding 12 years ago, now I am like a little kid when it starts to snow. As for injuries and the cold/snow they just don't mix well. I have been busted up more than most (29 broken bones, knee, ear, and back surgery all by age 30)  and I have found that the best remedy is to stay as active as possible and go to a good physical therapist. Learn a routine to strengthen your problem areas and do that routine at home every day. Sometimes I do mine twice a day.   

I know all about knees.  I have had both of mine fixed more than once and have been told that I need a knee replacement on my left one.  Nobody will do it because I am too young at 40.  I find myself navigating slippery surfaces like I am 80 years old.  Just dont fall for the pain med trap!  I refuse to become a junky and will not take any opiate pain killer.  I have just learned mind over matter with it for now.

And BTW, I still love the snow!

Ken

I know all about knees. I have had both of mine fixed more than once and have been told that I need a knee replacement on my left one. Nobody will do it because I am too young at 40. I find myself navigating slippery surfaces like I am 80 years old. Just dont fall for the pain med trap! I refuse to become a junky and will not take any opiate pain killer. I have just learned mind over matter with it for now.

And BTW, I still love the snow!

Ken

Hope I never have to get a full knee replacement. I'll stick with ACLs lol. And I agree with you on pain meds, I usually never take them. The only time I did was last year after my knee surgery because I ended up having a blood clot, I couldn't stand up and piss with out being in tears (I don't care what people say about me in tears, blood clots are no damn joke behind your knee). But other wise I do not take them. All honesty I have a sister who became a drug addict, now she has been clean for 6 years, doesn't touch a single drop of alcohol or drug obviously, and yea that even counts vodka sauce for noodles she won't do it. Seeing what she went through and my family I always strayed away and even when I was prescribed to the pain meds I had my mom flush them because I didn't want to rely on them and end up addicted. Grant it I'm not really a addicting type guy to stuff (besides hobbies) but you never know what could happen, so see ya later to pain pills I say!

Anyone ever get any fluids ever drained from them? Ok yea that sounded bad but you know what I mean.

As mention me and needles = No go, doc said doesn't hurt but they lie hands down on that lol. So lets be honest here lol

I did YouTube video and it looks pretty damn painful.

Anyone ever get any fluids ever drained from them? Ok yea that sounded bad but you know what I mean.

As mention me and needles = No go, doc said doesn't hurt but they lie hands down on that lol. So lets be honest here lol

I did YouTube video and it looks pretty damn painful.

Yes.  I have had it done 2 times.  The first time hurt like a bitch.  It can make the pain of the clot look like a little scratch.  The second time, no big deal.  I think the first Dr stuck me wrong or something.

Ken

Ive had it done to my knee maybe 2 times. and i hated needles at the time, it wasnt bad at all till you see the needle. just dont look at it and your good it feels like an iv or drawing blood not bad at all. now im fine with needles after some med issues i give myself humira shots every other week myself thought for the first few times i can never do this now its nothing.

Obviously you're an expert on knee injuries so I won't complain too much.. 12/6/2013 I had ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair on my left knee. The IV sucked. The pain meds made me feel like poop so I stopped taking them after 4 days and all this god damn ice has been a pain in the balls. PT is going well and hoping to get back to work soon. Hopefully you don't have to go through all that stuff again for the 3rd? time. Well I'm done complaining and I feel for ya. I hope it 's just a sprain. Let us know.

Obviously you're an expert on knee injuries so I won't complain too much.. 12/6/2013 I had ACL reconstruction and meniscus repair on my left knee. The IV sucked. The pain meds made me feel like poop so I stopped taking them after 4 days and all this god damn ice has been a pain in the balls. PT is going well and hoping to get back to work soon. Hopefully you don't have to go through all that stuff again for the 3rd? time. Well I'm done complaining and I feel for ya. I hope it 's just a sprain. Let us know.

Sorry to hear about knee, but atleast everything is going good! The cold winter always sucks for me, its like my knee is the weather man because it always hurts before it'll rain and cold, I always thought that was a myth but it does it to me for some reason, honestly wish it didn't.

I get my MRI today at 5:30, and will be making my apt for my doc today for next week to see what is said. My knee is feeling better and bending more, but that doesn't mean I'm in the clear lol.

I love the cold seasons, but I've grown to hate snow.

I remember 1995, when I spent the entire day shoveling the 1.5-4 foot drifts on my extra-long driveways. I'd come inside every hour or so, have a cup of coffee and a cigarette, and go back out. I even created two "sculptures" (both bathroom related) while I was out there. If I did that today I'm sure I'd be in Smith-McCracken's morgue within minutes, if they could get to me.

This past winter I've had two of my grown children at home, on and off. Lucky for me they've usually been around when shoveling had to be done.

But I'm getting fukcen tired of it. I'm almost sixty. No health problems that I know of, but that doesn't mean I won't die the next time I go out to shovel for an hour. 

Fukc the snow. Time to pay somebody to take the flaky white angel shit away, or move to a sunnier clime.

Unfortunately for my gun rights and sanity, I'm stuck in the cocksucking state.