chris327

anyone suggest good bbq in NYC?

So in a few weeks a bunch of us are going to the Brooklyn brewery and wanna go for BBQ afterwards. Ive looked up many places and everyone seems to have favorites and there's so many options its crazy. Its a pretty big group going and a few only eat chicken so that knocks a bunch of places out like Delaney BBQ and Fette Sau. The main ones were looking at right now are John Brown BBQ in long island city queens, Hill Country, Mighty Quinns, or possible Dinosaurs. Has anyone been to these or suggest any others. Im a brisket fan so ill go to any bbq place to try it. But the few that eat chicken only make it kinda difficult. any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Hill Country has the best BBQ I've ever tasted in my life. And while I can't claim to have BBQ connossieur credentials, the place was originally recommended to me by someone that grew up in Texas (if that means anything to you). The moist brisket is excellent, and don't bother with the lean brisket. The boneless prime rib is good, but I don't think worth the price premium over the moist brisket. The place is kind of expensive, and you're talking somewhere around $20/lb for meat served on butcher paper. I recall there being all-you-can-eat nights if it fits into your schedule. 

Dinosaur BBQ on W. 125th is excellent.  It's right off of the Henry Hudson Pkwy...easy to get to and the food is great.  Try the fried green tomatoes.

I had a client location about 3 blocks away and ate there weekly for about 8 months.

Here's the menu so you can assure the chicken eaters they won't go hungry....http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com/media/documents/2013/3/HarlemRestMenu_2012June.pdf

thanks for the input so far. Anyone ever have john brown bbq in queens? reviews all say its great but not sure. Also just if anyone didnt know mighty quinns is coming to clifton. not many bbq places around north nj only one ive thought was decent was hot rods that ive been to.

Dinosaurs is awesome! Nice portions, great BBQ, decent prices, good beers. 

The food at Hill Country was great... but talk about sticker shock. Their brisket was killer. BUT... for the same amount of food as I would have gotten at Dinosaurs I paid twice the price. (Eh... location, location, location, right?) 

If you decide on Dinosaur's and you're driving, like I said, it's right off the Hudson (West Side Highway) or, if you take the subway, the 125th St stop on the 1 train drops you almost on the doorstep...OK, a block away, but still.....

Hill Country is stupendous. I've been to their place in D.C. as well as in Manhattan. As good or better than anything I ate during my trip to Memphis two years ago.

If you're a real man try the "moist" brisket. Your arteries will thank you.

As a Texan, and BBQ fanatic, Hill Country's brisket is pretty damn good (coughcoughminesbettercoughcough). Lol.

My wife loves their smoked prime rib. She's a Yankee girl, but she has good taste in BBQ.

I have heard that John Browns is decent, but I haven't tried it personally. I will check it out next time I'm out that way.

Same with Dinosaur BBQ. I never heard of that place before, but I'm anxious to try it!

Now y'all have me thinking about firing up the smoker and mixing up some of my dry rub!

I imagine my neighbors would think I was nuts if I smoked a brisket in a snowstorm.

Virgil's in mid town

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forgive me but Virgil's only exists to cater to Times Square tourist and no more real BBQ than Bubba Gumps serves authentic low country seafood.

All this BBQ talk is making me hungry. Haven't had good brisket since I smoked a 14 lb full packer in my Big Green Egg last summer. I will be headed to Austin in a month for a bachelor party... home of the best hill country brisket on the planet!

All this BBQ talk is making me hungry. Haven't had good brisket since I smoked a 14 lb full packer in my Big Green Egg last summer. I will be headed to Austin in a month for a bachelor party... home of the best hill country brisket on the planet!

If you can swing down to Flatonia Tx, hit Joel's BBQ off of I-10. You'll see signs for it.

Best brisket I've ever had.

In Dallas, I like Sonny Bryan's. Great brisket, ribs are out of this world.

I can't think of the name of the place my wife likes in Austin, but I'll ask her if she remembers.

I absolutely love Mighty Quinn's in East Village (I think it's at 6th St & 2nd Ave). It can be very crowded during evenings, but that's really the only place in Manhattan I can easily go from NJ just to eat. It's completely worth it IMO. Simply the best brisket I've ever tried.

BTW, they are opening another Mighty Quinn's in Clifton pretty soon. If it is at least 70% as good as in Manhattan, I'll definitely frequent there.