intercooler

Moving out of Jersey....

I made the big move last month (Naples SWFL) My best buddy in NJ and I Ioaded the guns and the dogs in the car for the 18 hour run.

It's not the same without him right next door, but I hope to have some quality time when he visits. His mouth just hung open when I took

him to Bass Pro Shop at the Alico Rd/RSW airport exit on I-75. I have to find a few more quality attractions for him and other visitors.

So far FL meets or exceeds all expectations.  Prepared my wife for the worst about the summer weather and winter traffic.

Traffic from the snowbirds isn't as bad as I expected. Noon traffic on Pine Ridge Rd or really any county road

in Naples is awful, but so is anyplace at the Jersey shore during the summer not to mention any shopping day in Paramus

or  trying to go into Princeton at 3:00 pm. At night it's another world here. Quiet. Summer will be interesting.  No major bug

problems yet.  But it's been very very dry.

Haven't gone out to shoot anywhere yet. Just window shopped at Bass Pro; Walmart sells long guns and ammo.

(Shotgun ammo is right on the shelf where (gosh!) a child could pick it up! Boo hoo! Oh the humanity!  Call Al Sharpton!  Wait, he's here already,  protesting in Tallahassee today against Stand Your Ground, never mind).

Dicks is now open in the same mall as Bass Pro as well as another location in Ft Myers.

There's a new store opening up in Bonita Springs called Rural King (I guess the new Agway) and the newspaper circular had a 10% off any in-stock ammo coupon. Got to love it.

But I'm still holding a  NJ license so metamorphisis is not yet complete.

Here are some of the places I plan to check out when I get some time.

Naples Gun Range and Emporium advertises pretty heavily on TV and radio.

Only allows non frangible ammo, so it's a little costly but I plan to stop in soon to check it out.

Free 5 minutes of simulator time if you mention thier ad on radio or clip it from the newspaper.

The Alamo opens in April and will have 2 stories of shooting lanes.

It's run by Lotus Gunworks who have 2 other locations, one in FL and one in KY.

Gulf Coast Clays is the closest sporting clays location, it's on US 41 near Everglades City (the original county seat of Collier County before Naples).

When my shooting buddy and I made the mad 18 hour dash down from NJ to FL with my guns and dogs loaded in the car, I  noticed along I-75 there's another place called Sarasota Trap Skeet & Clays which is only about 90 minutes away (I-75 speed limit is 70, and except for rush hour traffic really moves along).

The Collier County Sheriff's range is open two Saturday mornings per month to the public for no charge.  Pistol only.  No qualification needed ,just show up.

The Lee County Sheriff's range requires frangible ammo and an app/class/ID but it is said to be very nice, with good ventilation.

There is also the Cecil M Webb range in Punta Gorda run by Fish & Wildlife, which people on forums seem to either love or hate.

One, no, two weird facts about buying a new primary home in Florida:

Property taxes are billed in November for the previous year in arrears.

So in Nov 2014 I will get a bill for 2014 property tax due in April 2015.

Since we are the first occupants our property was still taxed as raw land as of 1/1/2014.

So our tax bill for 2014 will only be about $500 (we had to refund about $50 to the builder on the HUD-1).

Sometime  between now and early 2015 we will homestead the property.

At that point we get a 50,000 break  on the assessed value of the property.

Also there is the "3% Cap"

Properties are reassessed every year by the tax collector.

So during the boom of the late 80's/ early 90's a lot of residents got hurt by property speculation raising their taxes.

So Florida passed the Save Our Homes law of Jan 1995.

It limits the annual increase in the assessment of the property to 3% or the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) whichever is less,

if you own your property subject to  the homestead exemption.

So they manage to pass a lot of the tax burden onto non-resident property owners.

Sales tax is 6%, most supermarket food is exempt, most prepared food is taxed, clothes are taxed.

I love the west coast of Florida, I miss the ft Myers gun show in December by few days.

I believe the lee county and collier county sheriff won't sign off for NFA stuff and you will have to go the trust route.

Don't forget to apply for your C&R license and have stuff send to your home.

Good luck, and I hope to join you soon!

One, no, two weird facts about buying a new primary home in Florida:

Property taxes are billed in November for the previous year in arrears.

So in Nov 2014 I will get a bill for 2014 property tax due in April 2015.

Since we are the first occupants our property was still taxed as raw land as of 1/1/2014.

So our tax bill for 2014 will only be about $500 (we had to refund about $50 to the builder on the HUD-1).

Sometime between now and early 2015 we will homestead the property.

At that point we get a 50,000 break on the assessed value of the property.

Also there is the "3% Cap"

Properties are reassessed every year by the tax collector.

So during the boom of the late 80's/ early 90's a lot of residents got hurt by property speculation raising their taxes.

So Florida passed the Save Our Homes law of Jan 1995.

It limits the annual increase in the assessment of the property to 3% or the increase in the Consumer Price Index (CPI) whichever is less,

if you own your property subject to the homestead exemption.

So they manage to pass a lot of the tax burden onto non-resident property owners.

Sales tax is 6%, most supermarket food is exempt, most prepared food is taxed, clothes are taxed.

Now, Texas and Florida don't allow Open Carry (as well as a few others). I don't like that one bit, but it might not be a deal killer. What bothers me a lot is that Texas (among several other states) have extensive lists of off-limits places for carry, and also allow people to post signs forbidding carry that have weight of criminal law.

Yeah, that's a bad thing about Texas but the law is that the sign must be a specific sign that has specific wording and dimensions. Any other sign does not have the force of law behind it. 

And carry really does you no good if you still work in NJ, because every day you will be disarmed to go to work in NJ, PLUS you might end up paying bridge tolls and more for gasoline (because you'll be using more). 

southcarolinaconfederateflag_zps4aa5de67

This probably says it all, in as little as two to as many as five years.....I have emotionally had it with this state and the NYC area........

;)

Taking my wife to Charleston in May, hoping I can get her to fall in love with it and set up a move.

well i just got the word today. job is lined up for the beginning of May. another month and a half and i'll be out of here and enjoying freedom in NC.

Congrats, I've got 2.5 weeks left until I'm in SC and this weekend I'm headed down to sign the lease. Freedom is great, but packing up is bittersweet.

Congrats, I've got 2.5 weeks left until I'm in SC and this weekend I'm headed down to sign the lease. Freedom is great, but packing up is bittersweet.

yea i was just looking around my room and i was just like  damn all this stuff is either getting put in a box and moved 600 miles or getting tossed/donated.

to my surprise, no sales tax on Amazon in Florida. (yet)

They must not have any warehouses there yet.  That's what did us in up here in NJ. They built two big warehouses. And, in the process, created NJ Tax nexus.  :mad:

I'm heading down to South Port and New Bern NC next month to look at some property. If all works out I could be out of PRNJ within 2 years. Anyone have the inside scoop, caveats, suggestions, or anything else I should know? Don't golf, so am looking for something by the beach, preferably with a marina close by.

I'm heading down to South Port and New Bern NC next month to look at some property. If all works out I could be out of PRNJ within 2 years. Anyone have the inside scoop, caveats, suggestions, or anything else I should know? Don't golf, so am looking for something by the beach, preferably with a marina close by.

if nothing changes in 2 years make sure you get your NC carry permit so you dont have to get individual pistol permits... i'm moving down there in 6 weeks except ill be in the mountains not near the beach.

My wife and I have land in Tennessee and have been trying to decide whether we want to move or not.  We still have a lot of family and friends here so it's not going to be an easy decision.  If it happens, it won't be for a couple more years anyway.

Hmmm, maybe some of the legislators should read this thread to see how many people WANT to leave this god forsaken state. 

What bothers me a lot is that Texas (among several other states) have extensive lists of off-limits places for carry, and also allow people to post signs forbidding carry that have weight of criminal law. So you are going to be leaving your gun in your car a lot or not bringing it at all. Any state that has:

- No carry at gatherings or demonstrations

- Posted signs have weight of criminal law

- No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol

- Certainly any restrictions less practical than the above

should be strongly reconsidered.

Mipafox brings up a really good point, especially about certain off-limits places. I'm "halfway" moved to Florida in a dual-residence situation (fulltime student at a college) and the laws here are pretty good. In the Gunshine State, private businesses can post gun free zone signs, but they DON'T carry force of law. However, if the property owner asks you to leave and you refuse, you can be charged with trespassing. I think this strikes a nice balance between 2A concerns and private property rights, and the consensus down here is "if it's properly concealed, they won't know it's there anyway."

Another nice thing about FL is you can keep a loaded handgun in car without any permit whatsoever (off-body only; it has to be "securely encased," but a closed glovebox/closed center console counts so no worries). Nice option if you're in a situation like me where you have a family member who's a transitioning from anti to pro: not ready to file paperwork and be officially pro gun from years of NJ brainwashing, but still wants to have a gun around.

One more thing: it never occurred to me until after I got here, but it might be a good idea to consider the litigation climate. We all know the NJ2AS is trying to fix the Jersey suck level, but they have their hands full just trying to get PD's to comply with paperwork laws, while Florida Carry, Inc. has won a huge number of cases and achieved far more in the same amount of time. This is not to crap on the NJ2AS because the political landscapes/public opinion are VERY different in these two states, but it shows the speed and direction that RKBA is moving in Florida (in NJ we're stuck on defense, FL can focus on offense, etc.). Carry rights are actively expanding in FL, with a recent decision to confirm guns are allowed in gloveboxes on college campuses and a growing support movement for CCW on campus grounds. So my point is, consider if a pro-2A infrastructure exists when considering a destination.

I'm heading down to South Port and New Bern NC next month to look at some property. If all works out I could be out of PRNJ within 2 years. Anyone have the inside scoop, caveats, suggestions, or anything else I should know? Don't golf, so am looking for something by the beach, preferably with a marina close by.

Oak Island. Nice area with plenty of beaches and bikinis.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

What area of NC are you moveing to? I will be down near franklin in September. If your moveing near there we will definitely have to meet up and hit a range

thats way down south closer to GA. i'll be about an hour into NC from VA about 10 miles from the TN boarder. the town is called Boone

if nothing changes in 2 years make sure you get your NC carry permit so you dont have to get individual pistol permits... i'm moving down there in 6 weeks except ill be in the mountains not near the beach.

Watch out, some sheriff departments are as bad as NJ when it comes permits and ccws

well i just got the word today. job is lined up for the beginning of May. another month and a half and i'll be out of here and enjoying freedom in NC.

Very cool. What kind of work do you do? I'm looking in the Charlotte area, and it's a bit tough convincing people that you really do intend to move. So lining up a job has been a chore. Did you have any problems getting a job lined up?

Very cool. What kind of work do you do? I'm looking in the Charlotte area, and it's a bit tough convincing people that you really do intend to move. So lining up a job has been a chore. Did you have any problems getting a job lined up?

Right now I'm in the plastics industry. I run a production line. The job there is with servpro. Fire and water damage repair. My grandfather knows the owner and they are expanding their franchise so he asked if they would hire me because he knows how much I want out of jersey. It's not the best job in the world but there is plenty of opportunities to move up. If I don't like it then I'll just stick it out until I find something else.

Find a private employment agency and send in your resume. Or hire a head hunter...

Right now I'm in the plastics industry. I run a production line. The job there is with servpro. Fire and water damage repair. My grandfather knows the owner and they are expanding their franchise so he asked if they would hire me because he knows how much I want out of jersey. It's not the best job in the world but there is plenty of opportunities to move up. If I don't like it then I'll just stick it out until I find something else.

Find a private employment agency and send in your resume. Or hire a head hunter...

Yea I've had a lot of views, and a few emails from my resume. I was just wondering how people get past the fact that they are not currently in state. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Servpro is a good company, Part of my job is business continuity, and disaster recovery. I'm familiar with a few of the servpro franchisees in some of cities where my company has offices.