ryan_j

"Reasonable deviations" to be clarified in exchange for 10 rounds

So as far as I can see the main argument being put forward for smaller magazines is that it gives victims more chance to run away while a reload is being done.

Given that anyone who does even a jot of practice can swap magazines in less than 2 seconds - often less than 1, it's a pretty lame argument but it is what it is.

However, when set alongside the policy of schools doing a lock-down as soon as any gunfire is heard in the area - lock-down being the act of shutting all the kids in their classrooms and not running away at all - the argument becomes farsical.

This is a bad argument to present.  Saying you can change 10 rd magazines almost as fast as dumping a 30 is giving them the response "well you can be just as happy with 10 then".

This "comprimise" is being offered to appease all of those who whine about not being able to stop for a potty break, gas, or food.  Those activities seem pretty reasonable.  I don't know of any case where anyone going to or from a range was arrested for doing that.  Does any one know of such as case?  AKAIK ther isn't one.

Never heard of anyone going to jail because they used the driveup window at Dunkin Donuts as many fantasize "can happen". 

I emailed my district reps and this is the response from Senator Doherty (or his staff, but that still counts).  Sounds like he's solidly in the pro-2A camp.  This is also the first response from a senator/assemblyman that I've ever seen to include a mention of government tyranny (which wasn't even a point in my initial email) - bonus points!  In fact, the tone - to me - sounds like he is sick of all these attacks on legal gun ownership as well.

Mark,

Thank you for your e-mail in opposition to gun control legislation.

Please be advised that I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I am also a member of the NRA. I believe that we need to keep our guns in the event the government becomes tyrannical and we need defend ourselves from the government.

I will certainly consider your input should legislation to limit magazine size come before the Senate for a hearing and a vote.

Do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance to you.

Sincerely,

Mike Doherty

I unfortunately lost all my 15rd mags in a horrific boating accident.

Sent using Tapatalk 2 NOW FREE!!!

Not with mags but too many people use that excuse with guns. Problem is if your gun fell overboard and didn't report it, you'd be screwed in a different sense. People need to hopefully not use that if the time should come.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

We are fighting this!! Thanks for contacting me. Alison

from alison mchose

if the republicans are against this christie will have to veto, he cant turn on his own party especially since the dems hate him with a burning passion

This makes perfectly good sense to me, we all need to contact our representatives and let them know that we oppose this and tell them why (because it will have no impact at all on violence, it is yet another law that will only impact law abiding citizens.  Let's face it, criminals will still get their 30 round mags if they want them!

I emailed my district reps and this is the response from Senator Doherty (or his staff, but that still counts).  Sounds like he's solidly in the pro-2A camp.  This is also the first response from a senator/assemblyman that I've ever seen to include a mention of government tyranny (which wasn't even a point in my initial email) - bonus points!  In fact, the tone - to me - sounds like he is sick of all these attacks on legal gun ownership as well.

Mark,

Please be advised that I am a supporter of the 2nd Amendment. I am also a member of the NRA. I believe that we need to keep our guns in the event the government becomes tyrannical and we need defend ourselves from the government.

I will certainly consider your input should legislation to limit magazine size come before the Senate for a hearing and a vote.

Sincerely,

Mike Doherty

I just got off the phone with a really helpful chap from the Office of Public Information and this bill has not even been submitted yet. Maybe Monday or Thursday I was told. ALso, it is just a deal between Dem. Senators and Dem. Assemblymen as has been stated above because Sweeney didn't bring it to the floor last year.

Now is still the time to let Sweeney and his collaborators know that we don't agree. Maybe it will never get out of committee again.

This is a bad argument to present.  Saying you can change 10 rd magazines almost as fast as dumping a 30 is giving them the response "well you can be just as happy with 10 then".

Well, I'm certainly not going to argue with these idiots. They are worried about something that kills less than 100 people each year in a country of 330 million - mass shootings. But mass shootings have proven that this is true. Columbine and Virginia Tech were not carried out with magazines larger than 10 or 15 rounds for the most part. Most of the mags in CT were discarded partially loaded. Most mass shootings are done with handguns, and they are done against unarmed and captive hostages. It's true that if I can fire 60 rounds and hit 45 people in 90 seconds with 30 round mags, I can fire 60 rounds and hit 45 people in 100 seconds with 10 round mags.

It makes a difference when you are defending yourself. That's where that mag change is a liability. That's where it could mean your life. It doesn't save sheep at a slaughter.

They like to say the guy in Arizona was jumped while he was reloading (actually it jammed). Actually, he was jumped in the only location of a mass shooting that wasn't a gun-free zone in the past 50 years, and he was also a second away from being shot by a CCW. His ass wouldn't have been jumped by sheep in Jersey. Reloading or gun jams never seemed to be a problem in any other mass shootings.

Mark,

Sincerely,

Mike Doherty

I'd reply with...

With all do respect, sir, I expect your answer to be "I will vehemently oppose any and all legislation restricting our 2nd Amendment rights."

Mark,

Sincerely,

Mike Doherty

Did you just get their email from the clerks office page? And you can just send them an email out of the blue?

I'm not familiar with Mike Doherty but....."I am also a member of the NRA. I believe that we need to keep our guns in the event the government becomes tyrannical and we need defend ourselves from the government.".....sounds like typical politician speak..... As in ill tell you what I think you want me to say...but when I'm with my peers behind closed doors I'll go along with the agenda....but he then followed the liberty tree talk by "I will certainly consider your input should legislation to limit magazine size come before the Senate for a hearing and a vote"...... Which to me sounds like he left himself the out..... As opposed to "i do not support any such legislation and will certainly oppose any such bills".... I believe it was Howard who mentioned being upset that Sweeney shook his hand and smiled while lying straight to his face.....about no anti gun bills.....they are all full of shi€.... And the whole system is broken and we need to have the "reset" button hit....

Doherty is an R from Warren county, so he is probably going to oppose/vote against thisif/when it comes up. But who knows

I'm not familiar with Mike Doherty but....."I am also a member of the NRA. I believe that we need to keep our guns in the event the government becomes tyrannical and we need defend ourselves from the government.".....sounds like typical politician speak..... As in ill tell you what I think you want me to say...but when I'm with my peers behind closed doors I'll go along with the agenda....but he then followed the liberty tree talk by "I will certainly consider your input should legislation to limit magazine size come before the Senate for a hearing and a vote"...... Which to me sounds like he left himself the out..... As opposed to "i do not support any such legislation and will certainly oppose any such bills".... I believe it was Howard who mentioned being upset that Sweeney shook his hand and smiled while lying straight to his face.....about no anti gun bills.....they are all full of shi€.... And the whole system is broken and we need to have the "reset" button hit....

The sickest thing about all of this is that since we are functionally banned from being armed in public, they are now limiting our ability to defend our homes. If they want to make an asinine argument that I should not carry more then 10 rounds on the street, I would know where they were coming from (even though it is a stupid place to come from). But I should be able to pack anything I want in my castle.

Doherty is an R from Warren county, so he is probably going to oppose/vote against thisif/when it comes up. But who knows

He's also a West Point grad, served active and reserves and his 3 sons are all active duty.

And he's a patent attorney (some of the highest paid lawyers) so he's likely not in Trenton for the paycheck.

Sounds like politician who's an actual patriot.

So think about this.... How the hell are they going to know if you do?

Do you honestly don't think they won't send the NJSP backed by the National Guard to confiscate these magazines. Remember they have access to FPID information and do you really think the local towns ever disposed of those pistol permit carbon copies? They will, and unless force is met with equal force we're screwed.

How are they going to know if they came with 10rounders from the factory ? A lot of guns do.. They will need a search warrant for every house. They just can't show up and search your home....

I'd imagine they'd go with whatever the "standard" issue is for a given gun. For example, a "Sig-Sauer" P226 9mm comes standard with 15 round mags. OTOH, a Smith & Wesson M &P Shield 9mm comes with one 7 round mag and one 8 round mag standard. They can tell by the P2P which make & model of gun was purchased. So....  

We are fighting this!! Thanks for contacting me. Alison

from alison mchose

if the republicans are against this christie will have to veto, he cant turn on his own party especially since the dems hate him with a burning passion

Huh

He turned on them last election. That said it is likely he will veto but don't take it for granted.

Do you honestly don't think they won't send the NJSP backed by the National Guard to confiscate these magazines. Remember they have access to FPID information and do you really think the local towns ever disposed of those pistol permit carbon copies? They will, and unless force is met with equal force we're screwed.

At that point, we would all have a decision to make. A decision that should be made long before they reach your door.

I'd imagine they'd go with whatever the "standard" issue is for a given gun. For example, a "Sig-Sauer" P226 9mm comes standard with 15 round mags. OTOH, a Smith & Wesson M &P Shield 9mm comes with one 7 round mag and one 8 round mag standard. They can tell by the P2P which make & model of gun was purchased. So....

So you get 1 or 2 "legal" mags to take out of the house and to show if they come knocking, otherwise you "destroyed" the rest of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Horsepoop. Cops don't want to get into shootouts any more then anyone else. The National democrats sure as hell are not going to want NJ news of cops bursting into people's houses for 5rd extra in a magazine because they would like to not get creamed in national elections.

Sorry bud, Doherty is the real deal. 

Horsepoop. Cops don't want to get into shootouts any more then anyone else. The National democrats sure as hell are not going to want NJ news of cops bursting into people's houses for 5rd extra in a magazine because they would like to not get creamed in national elections.

Exactly. They're going to do it occasionally like they did with Pantaleon and it will make press and scare people.