W2MC

A Big -1 for Shooter's

Today I am giving Shooter's in Little Egg Harbor a big -1.

I got a box of T/C Maxi Balls from the shelves, marked $22.99 on the box. I thought that was a little high, but I wanted something to test the 50 cal I just picked up. When I went to check-out, the Maxi Balls rang up $29.99...seven dollars higher. When I pointed out that it was marked $22.99 on the box, I was told that it must be mis-marked, we only go with the price on the computer, and they would not honor the price on the box.

I did not buy the box of Maxi Balls, and they seemed somewhat saddened that I would not buy them at the higher price. Anyhow, I did buy the other small items I had selected, but I think I am done with Shooter's.

Shooter's is getting a reputation in the area for having "Kids who know nothing" working

for them. I am just repeating what I have heard from several customers in the past couple

of weeks.

Apparently, the young adults are not coached in the art of Customer Satisfaction, or even

to get a manager involved if there is a question.

Sad but true!

That's a bit different no? I'm a manager of a retail store and would never lose a customer over $7. Especially if its just one box.

This. The correct answer from the register should have been, " It looks like it's been marked with the wrong price. Sorry about that. The regular price is $29.99 but I'll adjust this box and honor our mistake."

This. The correct answer from the register should have been, " It looks like it's been marked with the wrong price. Sorry about that. The regular price is $29.99 but I'll adjust this box and honor our mistake."

Another retail mgr here. This is the only way to handle the situation.

Nice building. Like a mini cabelas. I have a retail store and if its mismarked ill honor it then fix it quick. Word of mouth works ten times better than advertising. Unless you have a captive audience. !!!! Cute girls there. If i were only 19 again. Yikes.

Just to play devil's advocate here, the person behind the counter might not have had the authority/ability to override the price in the system.

Of course even then, they should've called a manager over.

I've been there once. I asked to see the range that was mot being used and was told by the RO "only if you're shooting".

I said what if I wanted to join, how would I know if I liked the place?

I was turned off by that and I didn't spend a dime there. As for the box of ammo, I agree with everyone else.

Paul there is a difference between your $900 mistake and the $7 in question. I don't think we'd be discussing this had it been marked 2.99

The marked price must match the scanned price.

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/publications/ShoppersWeb.pdf

Contact the store and if they don't do anything, file a complaint with consumer affairs.

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/comp.htm

I wouldn't go jeopardizing one of the few 2a retail stores in the state over $7. Word of mouth is more than enough punishment for this case. It will give them the chance to correct employee training and understanding of register etiquette and price discrepancies.

Today I am giving Shooter's in Little Egg Harbor a big -1.

I got a box of T/C Maxi Balls from the shelves, marked $22.99 on the box. I thought that was a little high, but I wanted something to test the 50 cal I just picked up. When I went to check-out, the Maxi Balls rang up $29.99...seven dollars higher. When I pointed out that it was marked $22.99 on the box, I was told that it must be mis-marked, we only go with the price on the computer, and they would not honor the price on the box.

I did not buy the box of Maxi Balls, and they seemed somewhat saddened that I would not buy them at the higher price. Anyhow, I did buy the other small items I had selected, but I think I am done with Shooter's.

Let me know if you want to continue to shoot these Maxi's.  I shoot the .50 cal 370 grain version that T/C makes.  Pay less than retail for them locally (the shop orders them for me and sells what ever I don't buy).  I have no less than 9 boxes on hand at all times.  Used them to earn my Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle.  Have friends who cast them themselves.  So maybe we should get together and shoot?

As to register problem:  What do ya want from trained monkeys who have to press pictures of a burger on a touch screen to order fast food?  You should have gotten them for the marked price.  Only the replacement box(es) of ammo should cost more.  When the store bought them for "X" and sold them for $22.99 they were making a profit at THAT time.  Why should you be forced to pay for the store's replacement cost on a new box ordered today AND Profit on the newer price?   Doesn't make any sense to me to loose a customer over $7!!!!!!

Dave

Former store owner 

Shooter's is getting a reputation in the area for having "Kids who know nothing" working

for them. I am just repeating what I have heard from several customers in the past couple

of weeks.

Apparently, the young adults are not coached in the art of Customer Satisfaction, or even

to get a manager involved if there is a question.

Sad but true!

Noticed this as well.

Along the same line, I bought a box of 100 rounds of CCI 22LR from garden state armory about two weeks ago and paid 14.99 the price marked on the sticker. When I got home I saw there was another sticker under the 14.99 and that was for 11.99. You would think that if they were going to raise the price they would have at least peeled off the original price tag.

Continuing the thread....I had to be in Trenton earlier today, so on the way back I stopped at Sportsman's Center in Bordentown.  

They had 'em...for $19.99.

Shoudda gone there first!

The Maxi-Ball® has been around since 1970. It was part of a "movement" along with a successful line of innovations developed by Thompson-Center beginning in the early 60's.

Maxi-Ball_zps0b7efd37.jpg

The Maxi-Ball® has been around since 1970. It was part of a "movement" along with a successful line of innovations developed by Thompson-Center beginning in the early 60's.

Maxi-Ball_zps0b7efd37.jpg

And extremely accurate in my .54 T/C New Englander

Been there twice. once during hunting season (deer) I was surprised at how much carhart clothing they had but literally no blaze orange clothing. I was shocked by that. they only orange I saw was a few of those elastic vests you can put over your jacket.

2nd time I too had buy some T/C maxi balls. they had the hard to find(for me) smaller grained version (275gr) that shoots awesome in my white mountain carbine. I forget what I paid.

I heard a younger guy behind the counter call a shotgun a "shotty"....huh?  sorry.. not that I was going to buy a shotgun but if I was I would not have done so with a guy who calls a shotgun a shotty.

Nick

I heard a younger guy behind the counter call a shotgun a "shotty"....huh?  sorry.. not that I was going to buy a shotgun but if I was I would not have done so with a guy who calls a shotgun a shotty.

Nick

OK, now while there may be a lot of reasons not to like this place, this particular reason would not be one of them.  Plenty of people call a shotgun a "shotty" or "shottie", etc.  Its just a slang/shortened term for it.  It may not be the proper term, but not like its never used

(at least, IMO)

I hear ya. and you're right. theres just a few things that bother me and it just rubbed me the wrong way. honestly regardless of what he had said I would not have bought a firearm from that particular individual. as already said they have youth in that store and im all for the youth being involved but they certainly lacked the knowledge or at least sounded like it. first impressions are big and based on reading what is said here in this post they are striking out. I have to go past that store to get the Tips on rt9...so im sure i'll stop in there but may go there after I go to Tips.   

Nick

I hear ya. and you're right. theres just a few things that bother me and it just rubbed me the wrong way. honestly regardless of what he had said I would not have bought a firearm from that particular individual. as already said they have youth in that store and im all for the youth being involved but they certainly lacked the knowledge or at least sounded like it. first impressions are big and based on reading what is said here in this post they are striking out. I have to go past that store to get the Tips on rt9...so im sure i'll stop in there but may go there after I go to Tips.   

Nick

Tip's no longer sells guns, the guns and archery are all at Shooters.  The owner of Tip's is a principal owner of Shooter's.

To answer all of the above issues.

You are 100% correct about how bad mouthing a business will be enough punishment.

Interestingly enough, to see gun salesmen on here who seem to bad mouth a business for their own well being. However, understandable when you're threatened by the competition. 

The "knowledgeable" staff of "kids" could be true to an extent. No one knows everything. If they have new hires who are learning give them a chance. You don't know everything and neither do they, but encountering this staff on multiple occasions, not once was I not helped. If a staff member was unsure of something they would reply "I'm not sure, but let me ask."

Agreed, I wish I was 19 again too. The girls are cute. Have to have something to look at while you're waiting for a NICS check.

This business is beautiful and it does need to make it's money back. If there is an issue with pricing go somewhere else or don't have it all. That's not their fault you don't feel okay with the pricing.

As for the pricing issue that rang up wrong, is technology perfect? No. Are you? No. I'm sure the person apologized and tried to figure it out. He/She wouldn't have the authority to override a price and perhaps a manger wasn't available. If you asked for a manager you could have gotten someone. 

I was there this morning and had a horrible experience due to lack of customer service and not just from the young ones behind the counter.

If the management/ownership lacks retail/customer service skills you can't blame the employees for the training they receive, if any.

I'm too upset to explain what happened and remain calm about the whole exchange. I can tell you this, I didn't shoot but also didn't buy the pistol I came for, p2p and cash in hand.

I'll get into it later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk