Sota

Abandoned trailer on my property. How do I go about registering it for use.

Long story short, I have a trailer on my property that a (former?) friend left here for storage, with the expressed statement that I could use it as I see fit and he would keep up the registration. Well, he didn't keep up his end of the bargain and the state hasn't been paid since 2009 and he refuses to return my attempts to contact him. I'd like to use it or make it "legal" to sell so how do I do that? the VIN number sticker has long since faded so it's unique ID is gone. I've looked at the regs online and they require things I cannot get or supply. Has anyone dealt with this or a similar scenario? How did you resolve it.

Thanks.

home made requires a crap load of docs...

To register a homemade trailer

To title and/or register a homemade trailer, visit your local MVC Agency with acceptable proof of identification and the following: Original receipts/titles for all parts used

Notarized statement containing construction details, parts and material used, and date and location where parts were purchased. If parts were taken from another trailer/vehicle, you must list the VIN’s of the vehicles it was taken from.

A certified weight slip

Color photographs showing all angles of trailer

If trailer weighs more than 2,500 lbs. (unladen), it must be titled; therefore, OS/SS-32 form must be completed.

If trailer weighs 2,500 lbs. or less (unladen), it must only be registered; therefore,

BA-49 form must be completed at the MVC Agency.

Pay registration fee (Code 22) and title fee, if applicable

or have you recently done this and not encountered these issues.

Do you know a LEO who can run the plate and get you the vin # for you? 

Also is it a Live in or hauling type trailer.  If it is a hauling type trailer and you want to say it was home made DMV will make you jump threw hopes to registrar it.

I had that problem when I couldn't find my trailers reg card. 

Good luck on your endeavor.

It's probably easier to just sell it to a scrap dealer.   I had a similar issue with a boat trailer but ultimately my Father in law found the paperwork.

I was very close to just selling it as scrap as it was going to be a big pain to get it registered.

Registering as home made USED to be the way around little problems like this....but it created a new problem; which is the State's trailer registrations are a complete mess.  Thus the crack-down...to try to (over time) clean-up the problem.

I have heard people talking about registering trailers in Maine...I have NOT done so; but this may solve problems you've identified.

www.alco-company.com

www.acetrailerreg.com

are two I have seen on the web.

went down to the DMV to try and solve it. they want me to get a doc notarized, pictures, "estimate" how much the materials cost ($5? :D ) and pay tax on that.

going to look into the maine trailer thing...

https://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/shop/homemade-trailer/

was the one I saw recently as well.

can't rub something that was a printed sticker to begin with unfortunately.

and I already had someone run the plate to see if the reg was up to date (hence why this all started.) and I didn't ask him to call out the VIN. I didn't want to push it because I don't want to get said person in trouble.

Go to harbor freight and buy the smallest bolt together trailer they have. I got mine on sale and with a 25% off coupon for 160 bucks. Use the certificate of origin to register your trailer and then sell the bolt togather trailer.

that kind of won't really work... since one would a small 4x8 single axle trailer (HF) and the other is an all steel 7000# double axle car trailer. :)

Honest....I left it out in the sun and it grew....

For what's its worth I have never had an issue and I have had a few trailers that were registered umm............ "creatively". even pulled one out to Cleveland Ohio with a plate from another trailer and was pulled over 3 times round trip for speeding without an issue. As far as I can tell as long as its got a plate and lights and your not acting really stupid no one cares about trailers. But I understand wanting to do it the legal way for piece of mind.

right now I just want to be able to use it without fear of getting popped for an expired plate.

In the future I'd like to dispose of it and get something else.

Anyone interested in a former Bri-Mar 20' (16+4) all steel deck trailer? :D

right now I just want to be able to use it without fear of getting popped for an expired plate.

In the future I'd like to dispose of it and get something else.

Anyone interested in a former Bri-Mar 20' (16+4) all steel deck trailer? :D

Just go down and pay the overdue registration, leave it registered to your buddy. if you have the plate number DMV has the trailer vin. Walk in and say I want to renew the registration on this trailer plate # xxxxx. They may make you pay the last 4 years it wasn't registered but who cares at least its legal to tow down the road.

I've had an ongoing issue in regards to a homemade double axle utility/car trailer I own, that mimics your problems. NJ's DMV has ridiculous rules for registering/titling a home made trailer. I personally have just been using a friend's trailer tag on mine when I need to use it.

From what I can tell, as long as you have a trailer tag, working lights, and the trailer itself looks clean and functional (i.e., not a rolling pile of shit), the cops won't bother you. If you use it without a tag, you will eventually get ticketed for that. The biggest issue is the cops have the option to impound your trailer if they pull you over for no tag......good luck proving it is yours so you can get it out of hock.

I'm gonna look into that Maine tag thing, didn't think of that. I have seen a shitload of 53' tractor trailers with Maine trailer tags.....must be easy to do.

I could pay the overdue reg, but that's $160. For $100 I can have maine plates for 5 years.

I don't need to use it right now (and frankly it needs some work. one of the axles doesn't have working brakes; electrical issue) so I think I'll just get that paperwork done tomorrow.

Go to harbor freight and buy the smallest bolt together trailer they have. I got mine on sale and with a 25% off coupon for 160 bucks. Use the certificate of origin to register your trailer and then sell the bolt togather trailer.

That would be using fraudulent documents to obtain a title and/or registration. Could wind up with an expensive legal problem.

Just go down and pay the overdue registration, leave it registered to your buddy. if you have the plate number DMV has the trailer vin. Walk in and say I want to renew the registration on this trailer plate # xxxxx. They may make you pay the last 4 years it wasn't registered but who cares at least its legal to tow down the road.

Every time I've gone into MVC office to renew my registration they wanted to see my drivers license. I tried to renew my wife's registration (same address and last name and they wouldn't let me do it. IIRC they eventually accepted a note from her and they did it.

I just dealt with the same thing except I was able to find a rental company that it belonged to. I called them up and they checked their system and saw that it was written off as a loss about three years prior to the call. They produced me with a simple letter allowing me to do with the "leftovers" as I saw fit. I then had to register it as a homemade.

I went to a big box home improvement store and explained to the cashier that I wanted him to scan a whole bunch of bar codes That I had. I would pay for it and then go and return it without touching any product. He was on board as I told him that I needed to produce receipts to show that I actually bought the raw materials to make said trailer.

The dmv took all necessary materials and paperwork and I was able to register it.

Ironically when I went to the property where it had been abandoned for 6 years, someone beat me to it and it was gone. Go figure.