Malsua

Ball mount rusted in hitch...

I've done a bit of reading on this before, my hitch almost got stuck.  Aside from having the entire hitch assembly blasted and repainting it, keeping a layer of fluid film in there should help prevent that from happening again.  That, as well as not having the ball mount in the hitch assembly when you're not using it.

I've done a bit of reading on this before, my hitch almost got stuck.  Aside from having the entire hitch assembly blasted and repainting it, keeping a layer of fluid film in there should help prevent that from happening again.  That, as well as not having the ball mount in the hitch assembly when you're not using it.

I added a front hitch and everything that goes in it gets a nice coat of never seize.    I cleaned this one out a bit after I was done and will slather a ton of it in there.   I bought the truck off of my step-dad, and I'm pretty sure the ball mount went in not long after he bought the truck in 2004 so it's had 10 years to bake.   I've been trying to get it out since I bought the truck in 2011.

You need my answer for all parts that need to come apart at some point in the future:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-detail

And you beat me to it.

Pretty impressive that it only took you 3.5 minutes.  ;)

You need my answer for all parts that need to come apart at some point in the future:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-detail

And you beat me to it.

Pretty impressive that it only took you 3.5 minutes.  ;)

It's called "editing" lol.  I actually started it last weekend and after I broke the tip off the chisel, I got an "ultra heavy duty" chisel from McMaster.  I also got the chisel stuck in and ended up just driving it through as far as it would go then driving it back with the air chisel.  Once I saw everything rattle, that's when I moved back to the front and pulled it all out.

Wow. I never leave mine in for the simple fact I have blasted my shin on it too many times.

Which is half the reason I want it out.  I also want to stick a pintle mount on there on occasion and never could or mount a winch plate and winch.

I added a front hitch and everything that goes in it gets a nice coat of never seize.    I cleaned this one out a bit after I was done and will slather a ton of it in there.   I bought the truck off of my step-dad, and I'm pretty sure the ball mount went in not long after he bought the truck in 2004 so it's had 10 years to bake.   I've been trying to get it out since I bought the truck in 2011.

careful with overlubing on the rear one. don't forget......your trailer lights in the long run ground off of your truck, thus you need a good contact betweent he trailer, and the truck. the hitch is part of it.

also....ya might wanna get that debris off your bumper, before it falls off and hits someones car. :)

The debris was just covering the license plate.   As for the ground, there is a separate ground strap screwed into the metal on the hitch.  It's why I didn't remove the wires completely.

We once had one rusted in place just like this one.  We beat on that thing with hammers, tried penetrating oil, even put an oxy-acetylene rosebud and turned the receiver dull red.  Nothing.   Would not come out.

One day, we had the 90 pound jack hammer out and somebody suggested trying to loosen the hitch using that.  We put the jack hammer on top of the hitch and started hammering.  It took about 20 seconds and the hitch came loose.

I always remove my tounge from the hitch itself and put a hitch plug cover in place. But if you ever have one that does get stuck in the hitch just hook a trailer up to it an pull it around a few miles the weight of the trailer bouncing around on the rusted tounge usually loosens it right up.

I always remove my tounge from the hitch itself and put a hitch plug cover in place. But if you ever have one that does get stuck in the hitch just hook a trailer up to it an pull it around a few miles the weight of the trailer bouncing around on the rusted tounge usually loosens it right up.

Did I mention that I tried that?  I used the next sized down hitch pin the one time I picked up an excavator...even hauling about 7k for about 20 miles round trip didn't do the job.

The debris was just covering the license plate.   As for the ground, there is a separate ground strap screwed into the metal on the hitch.  It's why I didn't remove the wires completely.

i knew why it was there. i was trying to be a wise arse, lol

Did I mention that I tried that? I used the next sized down hitch pin the one time I picked up an excavator...even hauling about 7k for about 20 miles round trip didn't do the job.

Must have really been stuck. I like the jackhammer idea, I have a Bosch Brute I probably would have tried.

Must have really been stuck. I like the jackhammer idea, I have a Bosch Brute I probably would have tried.

If I had had access to a Jackhammer, I would have tried.  I had 2 sides of it peel completely away from the receiver and it was STILL stuck.  I seriously doubt it would have come out any way other than what I did but a Jackhammer, heat, and attached to a tree at the same time would have been the only other thing that may have done it.

Always kept a light layer of Marine Grease on it and inside the receiver.
Kept it in all my trucks for years without a hitch, (no pun intended). Marine Grease is water proof and won't come off with the elements.

If you do not use it all the time pull it out..

Plus if it is in their it can be stolen if not locked.

The ones with locks end up frozen in the hitch because to lazy to unlock and remove..

I love it when their painted florescent orange or pink and the owner bangs his chin anyway..

If you do not use it all the time pull it out..

Plus if it is in their it can be stolen if not locked.

The ones with locks end up frozen in the hitch because to lazy to unlock and remove..

I love it when their painted florescent orange or pink and the owner bangs his chin anyway..

I never kept anything in my last truck because I didn't want it to rust in and I didn't want to have it stolen.

My 2" ball is stainless steel, rated at 8200lb and it's worth more than the bar, so it's not staying in there.