Howard

Thank god for global warming!

Right. The 150 or so years we have been recording temperatures are an insignificant statistic, there is not enough data to come to any intelligent conclusions.

Right. Especially when people like Hansen at the Goddard Institute change the data from the past to make it look like certain places are getting warmer. "Hey, if we make the past... Colder.... It'll look like it getting warmer!!"

Nice try by the frauds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/environment/globalwarming/11395516/The-fiddling-with-temperature-data-is-the-biggest-science-scandal-ever.html

Here's my take on "Climate Change";  A lot of people, a whole lot smarter than me, can't decide if it's real or not.  My own personal opinion is that we'll all be a lot better off if we stop pumping shit into the air.

Actually, a lot of smart people have concluded there's no evidence that the world is getting warm in the short or long term. But leftist media squash that and organizations on board the warming train squash it. Or try to.

And we know that toxic waste being pumped in massive quantities into the air is a bad idea. It just so happens that carbon dioxide isn't one of that toxic substances. Just ask a tree.

No disrespect intended to anyone here. It just drives me nuts that even the global warming loons don't believe in global warming. What they do believe in though is wealth redistribution. And global warming lunacy is a good way to make that happen.

Actually, a lot of smart people have concluded there's no evidence that the world is getting warm in the short or long term. But leftist media squash that and organizations on board the warming train squash it. Or try to.

So your saying that the world has not warmed up at all from the last ice age? Whats your take on who the polar ice caps receding in record amounts during the warm season? Or the entire worlds glaciers receding in record distances? Im sorry but global warming is not just media hype its real the million dollar question is global warming a natural event or man made.

So your saying that the world has not warmed up at all from the last ice age? Whats your take on who the polar ice caps receding in record amounts during the warm season? Or the entire worlds glaciers receding in record distances? Im sorry but global warming is not just media hype its real the million dollar question is global warming a natural event or man made.

That is the big issue - it is probably just part of a natural geologic cycle.

I don't have time to find a reference, but I recall hearing that when Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines went off a while back it put more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere in a single eruption than mankind has contributed in the entirety of human history. Mankind likes to think it is hot stuff, but we are a drop in the bucket.

wasn't there an article recently where they said that the sea level is rising at ny at nearly double the rate of elsewhere?

Yeah, 125MM in 2 years.   That's 5 inches and it's localized.  Apparently global warming isn't so global and woman and minorities are hit hardest.

Hi Fishnut.  I think my comments above might have wandered into political discussion. So I'll keep that out of the discussion going forward.  On your question on glaciers, the proponents of GW cherry pick events or data.  And actually, sea ice in the southern hemisphere hit a record high in 2012.  Aberation?  Maybe, but that record was broken in 2013 with even more sea ice.

And there's the irony of that Russian GW expedition getting stuck in ice near Antarctica in 2013 as they set off to document the lack of sea ice down there.  But more significant was the fact that the area they were stuck in was named for the first person to visit that place way back in the early 1900's.  Sir Douglas Mawson was his name if I am getting this right.  Funny thing was. Photo's taken of Mawson's expedition show that area ice free back in 1910 or so.

Having been involved in engineering, technology and a helluvalot of math over the last 30 years, one glaring issue I have with all of the reports and projections being tossed about is the point made above.  We're on a rock that's about 4 billion years old.  And we have people trying to predict trends using data that is first of all... incomplete...(and manipulated to support their conclusions) ... and second so short relative to the cycles and periods of time where these variations exist is..... well..... a statistical nightmare.

The only thing we seem to know now, after you set aside that corrupted data and projections based on it, is that not a whole lot has changed in 1000 years.

Right now it's a little cloudy and the light levels in the atmosphere seem to be less than they were yesterday.  I'm concerned that our planet is headed into total darkness by the weekend.

That's how I see these claims made by the global warming crew.  The fraudulent manipulation of the data is a whole other matter.

but hey.... I pick up a new Beretta on Saturday!

Do we blame the Hindus then? (and if you take that serious, you need to step back and chill)

Lmao.... The lil' winky emoticon gave you no hints? Take a deep breath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Fishnut. I think my comments above might have wandered into political discussion. So I'll keep that out of the discussion going forward. On your question on glaciers, the proponents of GW cherry pick events or data. And actually, sea ice in the southern hemisphere hit a record high in 2012. Aberation? Maybe, but that record was broken in 2013 with even more sea ice.

And there's the irony of that Russian GW expedition getting stuck in ice near Antarctica in 2013 as they set off to document the lack of sea ice down there. But more significant was the fact that the area they were stuck in was named for the first person to visit that place way back in the early 1900's. Sir Douglas Mawson was his name if I am getting this right. Funny thing was. Photo's taken of Mawson's expedition show that area ice free back in 1910 or so.

Having been involved in engineering, technology and a helluvalot of math over the last 30 years, one glaring issue I have with all of the reports and projections being tossed about is the point made above. We're on a rock that's about 4 billion years old. And we have people trying to predict trends using data that is first of all... incomplete...(and manipulated to support their conclusions) ... and second so short relative to the cycles and periods of time where these variations exist is..... well..... a statistical nightmare.

The only thing we seem to know now, after you set aside that corrupted data and projections based on it, is that not a whole lot has changed in 1000 years.

Right now it's a little cloudy and the light levels in the atmosphere seem to be less than they were yesterday. I'm concerned that our planet is headed into total darkness by the weekend.

That's how I see these claims made by the global warming crew. The fraudulent manipulation of the data is a whole other matter.

but hey.... I pick up a new Beretta on Saturday!

This is the most intelligent post on this subject yet. If one concludes that man causes GW based on 150 years of data, then they are DOING IT WRONG.

Congrats on your new Beretta, Kevin!

There are any number of organisms-from unicellular plankton to the largest trees-that can and have altered the earth's environment.

Why, then, do some still believe that humans cannot?

maybe when we cover the earth to the extent that those organisms do, we will. right now though........

remember, when we get extreme weather, that 1) it's happened before, and 2) it only takes a half degree shift of the earth on its axis to significantly change the weather patterns on the entire planet. 3) that half degree shift can take 10 to 50 years.

someday, mother earth will decide she's fed up with us, and she will smite us with extreme prejudice, and ease.

This is the most intelligent post on this subject yet. If one concludes that man causes GW based on 150 years of data, then they are DOING IT WRONG.

Congrats on your new Beretta, Kevin!

Thanks.

10X, I wasn't saying that man can't affect the earth. I'm saying there's no valid evidence that it's happening now. But, as was mentioned above a volcano spewed out more so-called greenhouse house gas that humanity has in its existence,yet here we are still. So maybe the impact some say we could might not be the case.

Mother Nature has kept this planet spinning for billions of years through thick and thin. I trust her... In fact, I consider all our weather dilemmas as a result of her being royally pist off. She's in menopause, which lasts about 10 years..... ;)

Unless we end up in a nuclear winter from bombing or volcano ash clouds, we'll survive just fine. Just keep a boat handy... ;)

antartica used to be a tropical island millions of years ago, did we cause that also?  The thruth is that one volcano eruption pumps out more CO then all the man made pollution over 10 years (according to discovery channel).  Climate change is real but I doubt it's man made.

antartica used to be a tropical island millions of years ago, did we cause that also?  The thruth is that one volcano eruption pumps out more CO then all the man made pollution over 10 years (according to discovery channel).  Climate change is real but I doubt it's man made.

i think you meant co2?

co2, for those that don't know, is not a pollutant, nor is it the worst greenhouse gas, as we're being told.

i think you meant co2?

co2, for those that don't know, is not a pollutant, nor is it the worst greenhouse gas, as we're being told.

That was me second guessing myself, I originally put co2 then edited it.  Thanks for the correction.  I should have just said green house gasses to avoid looking stupid :icon_redface:

"The dose makes the poison"  Paracelsus had it exactly right, way back in the 1500's.    Too much CO2 is a pollutant; doesn't matter that the right amount is essential to life on earth.   Ditto for oxygen, nitrogen, ozone, whatever.   

I've never heard CO2 described as the worst greenhouse gas.    It's pretty much common knowledge that water contributes more to the greenhouse effect based on it's total mass in the atmosphere; methane contributes more per unit of mass, and other gasses contribute as well, more or less per unit of mass, always less based on total mass.  

CO2 just happens to be the one major contributor over which humans have the most influence.

Like I said global warming is a real thing there is no question about that but it could very well be the earths natural heating/ cooling trends. I never said that global warming is solely a man made thing. However I don't think that humans are helping the situation.