ECsandstar

Anyone into Harleys?

Looked at a 2nd owner, used sporty 883 recently and its really sparked my interest. Thinking about picking it up, however its got about 20k on the clock, which i consider somewhat high? Any pointers? Im coming off sport bikes (cbr's, yami's, gixxers, etc...), so i know im in for quite a change, and of course it'll be slower. Im not opposed to something slower, as i might be less inclined to be banging off the rev limiter on 600's or pushing 1k's. I think my days of doing 130+mph are over, and id rather cruise with my lady.

Again, looking for some info, pointers, anything to look for, etc...  Im hoping to have this in my possession soon so i can start tearing apart to make it "mine" with some upgrades, powdercoat, etc..

Thanks in advance. :hi:

I used to want a Hardley.  Then I rode one.  No thanks, not for me.  I'm sure that coming from Sport Bikes you're used to bikes that handle well, stop well, and and run well.  I think you'll be very disappointed, especially with an 883.  Also, 20,000 is not a lot of miles.  My Beemer isn't even broken in yet with 50,000.  I know lots of folks that do 20k or more per year.  

One last dig:  Harley Davidson, the most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky side effect of horsepower known to man.

I ride a Sporty 883 Custom... so I have to ask... what year? 07 and later is fuel injected... in my experience it's more reliable, but power modifications are more costly (ECM remapping every time you do anything i.e. pipes, air cleaner) 

The 883 is fun on local and back roads... it's peppy... 0-60 pretty darn quick... but at highway speeds, it's pretty miserable. At 600 lbs. and as aerodynamic as a brick in a hurricane, you'll get blown all over the place while the bike struggles to keep up. I bought my 883 with intentions to bore out the cylinders to 1250 and maintain the quicker gearing of the 883's transmission, but frankly, it's not worth the money to mod a Sporty like that. 

I ride my Sporty 2 up... but will probably be upgrading after I recover financially from my master's degree I'll be upgrading to a Road King. The lady in my life prefers something a little cushier than a Sporty, and frankly, at 28, my back does too.

Any specific questions? I've wrenched on mine and a couple others enough... I should be able to answer a thing or two.

But no, 20,000 miles is only the beginning.

I don't like what most think of when people say Harley. Rode some big fat underpowered thing a few years ago, dealer guy was like top of the line limited edition super ultra road king or some crap. Cracked the throttle waited and laughed. Thing was a fat pig.

Then again I get my kicks watching guys get out of camrys at bergen for the hog meeting in full branded leather outfits...

That being said you'll have to pry my sportster from my cold dead hands. I have a 97, old man has a '00. Both are 1200s. Think I bought mine with 15k on it and was thrilled that it was that low mileage.

Personally I'd stick with the rigid mounts, I don't have a tremendous amount of love for the later rubbers or any of that efi stuff, but that's just me

The fact that your coming from sport bikes makes me inclined to say get a 1200, or punch the 883 to 1250

Xl forum is the place to go for info, even though I don't think I've logged in in like a year.

Tried the HD's twice. A Street Bob and a V-Rod. Performance, always an issue. Additionally, except for the dressers, they seem to really be made for the small of stature. Im not huge or anything, 6'2" 250 but they feel so small. If performance is at all an issue, Id look at the V-Rod if you have to have a Harley. It at least has some pep. I would have liked it better if it wasn't to small for me.

I had a 2005 Harley Wide Glide. I agree with Shane about them being for the short of stature. I always felt cramped unless I was using my highway pegs. I wouldn't buy another. I should've just kept my 1978 Honda CB750K I owned before the Harley. It was slower, but everything on it was easy to work on. It had a high center of gravity, and I looked like a gorilla humping a football when riding it, but what a fun bike. 

I have an inner ear vestibular imbalance (i.e. positional vertigo), so I doubt I will be getting another bike. At least not until my daughter is all grown up.  

I had a 2005 Harley Wide Glide. I agree with Shane about them being for the short of stature. I always felt cramped unless I was using my highway pegs. I wouldn't buy another. I should've just kept my 1978 Honda CB750K I owned before the Harley. It was slower, but everything on it was easy to work on. It had a high center of gravity, and I looked like a gorilla humping a football when riding it, but what a fun bike.

I have an inner ear vestibular imbalance (i.e. positional vertigo), so I doubt I will be getting another bike. At least not until my daughter is all grown up.

That is the reason why I won't let my wife ride her own. I seen her Vertigo kick in when she was driving us in the car one day. Scarey...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sporty 883? IMHO, stay away from it. You said you came from riding sportbikes? Going from a sportbike to a 883 Harley is like going from a Corvette to a Chevette. Bad brakes, bad handling, heavy, and no power. Why would you want to go to that?

That being said I am not a Harley-hater, but I am not a fan-boy over their over-priced machines. "American made" with Japanese parts. I like their bigger bikes; the V-rod and Fatboy though.

Thanks for the replies fellas. So far, overall consensus is to stay away from the 883 and shoot for a 1200 if anything. I just dig the 883 styling I guess. Yes it's rough, rigid, and not the most nimble...but I guess one would know that going into it. We'll see what happens and I'll be sure to update this if it does!

I love my 04' Road King. I would say most people who buy a sportster and stay in the hobby, will get into a bigger bike. If your going to do some serious riding, a touring bike is the best choice. Very low center of gravity, heavy only when not moving. If you looking for a bar hopper, or a Sunday bike run ride, maybe a Dyna or Softail would be the best. I would rent first, even if your buying used. Most people selling will not let you ride it before buying. Now is not the greatest time to buy. Riding season is coming up and everyone wants their money back... LOL

1284811.HarleyVR1000.jpg

why not this one.

Quite honestly, I didn't know anything about it.  I'm guessing that Eric Buell had something to do with it?

Oh, and there have been a number of XR's around here for sale without the typical HD price tag.  I guess they don't ride like a "real" Harley.

I have a 99 FXD Dyna Glide. Not a sport bike and certainly not as nimble as my 78 Triumph Bonneville that is bored out. But, putting Ricon Intermediators in the front and their springs in the rear made a HUGE difference in handling. The Mikuni Flat Slide carb, properly jetted, with some Vance & Haines allows me to purr with the pack at 80+ without any issues. A Woods Cam and a 95" kit are one the horizon. I'm just not a European riding position type of guy. At 6'0 I could use more leg room. But that's what highway pegs are for...being able to switch positions. Shite, I use my passenger pegs on long hauls just to stretch.