Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

The bears are out

thats the second yogi in Ridgewood within the past few months or so.

They've been seen in Old Tappan, River Vale, Woodcliff Lake, Hillsdale and Washington Township too, with some sightings that date back fifteen years ago. The Division of Fish and Wildlife claims to have tracked bears in all 21 counties of the state.

They've been seen in Old Tappan, River Vale, Woodcliff Lake, Hillsdale and Washington Township too, with some sightings that date back fifteen years ago. The Division of Fish and Wildlife claims to have tracked bears in all 21 counties of the state.

And in the 2016 fish and game hunting regulation set, all 21 counties will be open to bear season's. There will be two weeks (2 seasons) instead of one as well. With 3 extra days of early muzzeloader and 6 days of archery both in October. Can't wait to nail one in the backyard finally with the x-bow. I don't have the room between neighbors for the gun, but I'm legal with the bow.

And in the 2016 fish and game hunting regulation set, all 21 counties will be open to bear season's. There will be two weeks (2 seasons) instead of one as well. With 3 extra days of early muzzeloader and 6 days of archery both in October. Can't wait to nail one in the backyard finally with the x-bow. I don't have the room between neighbors for the gun, but I'm legal with the bow.

Of the 70 municipalities that make up Bergen County, few allow hunting.............legally.

Of the 70 municipalities that make up Bergen County, few allow hunting.............legally.

Dosent matter what any municipality says, they can't stop hunting on private property or state land. Only township property. Besides who cares about that liberal hell hole county anyway. I actually hope the entire county becomes a bear sanctuary. They can have all they want from here in Sussex. I would love to see Black bear roaming the neighborhoods in Teaneck, River Edge, and Hackensack. The scumbag anti hunters that live there deserve it. Along with coyote attacks. Is it wrong that I was routing for the coyote in the Bergen record article last week?

If I didn't already have better things to do, I would live trap predators and relocate them to Bergen county myself. I think that would probably get me put on the fish and game hit list though.

5 or 6 bobcats roaming around Alpine eating lap dogs from backyards, may get some public outcry.

15 yrs ago, about, is when we had our first bear sighting around by me on the Ridgewood/Midland Pk brdr  and it spent time in my backyard before getting grabbed a few house away. It was unheard of back then. now I've had in my backyard the past few yrs lots of dear, turkey (21 one time), a fox had pups in my back yard, a flying squirrel....theres a patch of woods about a good few acres off my backyard that attracks the critters but no natural water to sustain them. my mutts are always chasing the deer and their fuggings ticks too lol.

Dosent matter what any municipality says, they can't stop hunting on private property or state land. Only township property. Besides who cares about that liberal hell hole county anyway. I actually hope the entire county becomes a bear sanctuary. They can have all they want from here in Sussex. I would love to see Black bear roaming the neighborhoods in Teaneck, River Edge, and Hackensack. The scumbag anti hunters that live there deserve it. Along with coyote attacks. Is it wrong that I was routing for the coyote in the Bergen record article last week? If I didn't already have better things to do, I would live trap predators and relocate them to Bergen county myself. I think that would probably get me put on the fish and game hit list though. 5 or 6 bobcats roaming around Alpine eating lap dogs from backyards, may get some public outcry.

Aside from Mahwah, most municipalities here have no discharge laws. Only farmers get permits to deer hunt, allow the UBNJ to come in, and even those are heavily contested at town meetings each year. I don't know anyone who hunts with a firearm, only bow illegally from what I've seen. And there was the fellow they caught a couple years ago in Upper Saddle River with a Ruger .22 modified to shoot .22 blanks which propelled a hollow arrow shaft tipped with a broadhead. It was the third time this fellow was caught, the other two times were in River Vale and Woodcliff Lake in United Water Property. The fellow was using this: http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

Aside from Mahwah, most municipalities here have no discharge laws. Only farmers get permits to deer hunt, allow the UBNJ to come in, and even those are heavily contested at town meetings each year. I don't know anyone who hunts with a firearm, only bow illegally from what I've seen. And there was the fellow they caught a couple years ago in Upper Saddle River with a Ruger .22 modified to shoot .22 blanks which propelled a hollow arrow shaft tipped with a broadhead. It was the third time this fellow was caught, the other two times were in River Vale and Woodcliff Lake in United Water Property. The fellow was using this: http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

No municipality can stop "legal" hunting. They're violating state laws. on your private property you can engage in hunting anytime you want as long as your following state game code safety distances. Township ordinance is moot. Unless we're talking about township owned property, that's completely regulated by the town they can make up whatever rules they wish.

No municipality can stop "legal" hunting. They're violating state laws. on your private property you can engage in hunting anytime you want as long as your following state game code safety distances. Township ordinance is moot. Unless we're talking about township owned property, that's completely regulated by the town they can make up whatever rules they wish.

I'm aware of the state law. But, not much in the way of public land to hunt here, and I couldn't tell you a single person other than a farmer who may try it. And despite what state law says most towns here steadfastly refuse to allow hunting, despite lobbying by citizen groups, AND the Div. of Fish & Wildlife. (State wildlife biologist Carole Stanko's efforts to get deer hunting allowed in Bergen County last year in order to cull the copious critters, specifically in the town of Allendale; failed miserably.) The Department of Community Affairs in Bergen County controls the permits to deer hunt, and one location I know where it still goes on is Demarest Farm in Hillsdale, only it's a third-party that does the control hunt, and it's bow-hunting only. There is not much in the way of wide open spaces in Bergen County until you hit the Ramapo Mtns (Zone 36) or the few spots still open for duck hunting down in the Meadowlands. You certainly don't hear much gunfire in Bergen County unless you're close to Hackensack or Englewood, and that's at night and it's not game that's being hunted. Thankfully an average of 12 deer a week are hit by a car in Bergen County, more during the fall rut. That helps control the population, but isn't good for the folks who hit them.

Then again, that deer that was shot behind the ShopRite this winter in Emerson caused quite a stir in the news. Musta been a biggun to cause such an audacious move on the shooter's part. (borders United Water Property.)

The last I saw public hunting in these parts was in the 60's, when there were open spaces. That's a LONG time ago. Growing up around here there was lots of illegal hunting going on then, and there still is, but not like it used to be. The folks who move here today aren't into that sorta stuff.

Municipality "no discharge" laws can curtail hunting activity in the respective township, and the state DEP concurs that this happens. This excerpt is from their deer management plan for municipalities; "Some municipalities have ordinances that prohibit the discharge of firearms and/or bows and arrows. These ordinances eliminate hunting opportunity and may severely limit deer management options."

Their recommendation of course is to amend the laws to allow discharge so as to allow hunting or "controlled hunting.".

Read here in the state's Community Based Deer Management Manual for Municipalities: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/cbdmp_manual.pdf

I'm aware of the state law. But, not much in the way of public land to hunt here, and I couldn't tell you a single person other than a farmer who may try it. And despite what state law says most towns here steadfastly refuse to allow hunting, despite lobbying by citizen groups, AND the Div. of Fish & Wildlife. (State wildlife biologist Carole Stanko's efforts to get deer hunting allowed in Bergen County last year in order to cull the copious critters, specifically in the town of Allendale; failed miserably.) The Department of Community Affairs in Bergen County controls the permits to deer hunt, and one location I know where it still goes on is Demarest Farm in Hillsdale, only it's a third-party that does the control hunt, and it's bow-hunting only. There is not much in the way of wide open spaces in Bergen County until you hit the Ramapo Mtns (Zone 36) or the few spots still open for duck hunting down in the Meadowlands. You certainly don't hear much gunfire in Bergen County unless you're close to Hackensack or Englewood, and that's at night and it's not game that's being hunted. Thankfully an average of 12 deer a week are hit by a car in Bergen County, more during the fall rut. That helps control the population, but isn't good for the folks who hit them.

Then again, that deer that was shot behind the ShopRite this winter in Emerson caused quite a stir in the news. Musta been a biggun to cause such an audacious move on the shooter's part. (borders United Water Property.)

The last I saw public hunting in these parts was in the 60's, when there were open spaces. That's a LONG time ago. Growing up around here there was lots of illegal hunting going on then, and there still is, but not like it used to be. The folks who move here today aren't into that sorta stuff.

I would move...

In four years, and to another state.

I'm trying to go before that, 24 miles further west on Rt 80. Upper Mt. Bethal PA. Exit 4 over the Portland bridge. I can smell America from where I live now. Just need a sucker to buy my house here in Sussex County.

I'm trying to go before that, 24 miles further west on Rt 80. Upper Mt. Bethal PA. Exit 4 over the Portland bridge. I can smell America from where I live now. Just need a sucker to buy my house here in Sussex County.

I like that area. The Sycamore Grill is an awesome little place, and I shoot in East Bangor

I like that area. The Sycamore Grill is an awesome little place, and I shoot in East Bangor

It's a really nice little town. We've been spending a few hours each weekend, driving around looking for houses and buildable properties there. Hopefully someplace I can shoot in my own backyard, possibly hunt wouldn't bother me either. Easton is a 15 minute ride south down 611. E. Stroudsburg is 10 min the other direction. And Bangor is a few minutes west. Jersey is right over the portland bridge at the truck stop.

It's perfect! has that country like small town feel. No homeboys on the corner painting graffiti, Houses have plenty of room between. I can keep all the customers I service in Warren county and western Morris. Shoot right up Rt 94 through Knowlton and Blairstown and hit Sussex Co in Freedon. I really couldn't think of a better place for me to locate to and retain my own business. It's this or pack everything up and head for Texas, but then I'm working for someone since my plumbing license is only good in NJ. Plus it would take me years to network with enough people in a new state. Ohhh and they don't use too much oil heat in Texas, or boilers. So that Leaves me with heat pumps, ductwork, and sticking my hands in toilets again. I don't like doing plumbing service anymore. I just want to do hydronic heating, & specialty systems. It's what I'm best at.

Best part is PALTC, no magazine restrictions, no firearms banned by name, no OGAM, no pistol permits, no FPID cards, no AWB bs, and Tax Stamps are possible to obtain! Ohhh and my property taxes will be half what I pay here annually, mortgage payment will be about $200 less a month than I pay now. For 5 times the land & 1000 square feet more house than I pay for now here in Hell. And the local firehouse has a great gunshow every few months. Sounds like Disney World to me!

Mrs. Deerslayer is an Atlantic Health employee, she can easily transfer from Morristown to Hackettstown or Newton Memorial. Pretty much the same distance or less she is commuting now. So that's covered too.

I will still hate the Eagles & Flyers.

I'm a part time resident in Marshalls Creek, right by the burgs. The only things I dislike are the pizza and the gas prices. Let me know if you move out here.

BTW, the firehouse gunshow is a wee overrated.

I'm a part time resident in Marshalls Creek, right by the burgs. The only things I dislike are the pizza and the gas prices. Let me know if you move out here.

BTW, the firehouse gunshow is a wee overrated.

I'm definitely moving there, just a question of when. I have a few buddies that live in Middle Smithfield Twp. By Marshalls creek. I'm sure I'll be over there often, I like trout fishing over there. Gas isn't a big deal I'll just fill up in Jersey I'm only going to be 5min from the bridge. I've been to that gun show its been good some days, crappy others. I just can't wait to live another 20 min west, in the land of the free!

Dosent matter what any municipality says, they can't stop hunting on private property or state land. Only township property. Besides who cares about that liberal hell hole county anyway. I actually hope the entire county becomes a bear sanctuary. They can have all they want from here in Sussex. I would love to see Black bear roaming the neighborhoods in Teaneck, River Edge, and Hackensack. The scumbag anti hunters that live there deserve it. Along with coyote attacks. Is it wrong that I was routing for the coyote in the Bergen record article last week?If I didn't already have better things to do, I would live trap predators and relocate them to Bergen county myself. I think that would probably get me put on the fish and game hit list though.5 or 6 bobcats roaming around Alpine eating lap dogs from backyards, may get some public outcry.

lol, most of these animals are problems in the conservative suburbs.

lol, most of these animals are problems in the conservative suburbs.

I figured that, it's the only place they have a little bit of woods to hide in. I'm sure it's the nice towns like. Wyckoff, upper saddle river, Ridgewood, ect. I have nothing against those that pull the R lever at the voting booth. Why can't these people do something to get rid of Wineberg? I'm thinking coyotes running around her neighborhood would help lol!