302w

Jury duty notice after I moved

Strangely my old neighbor called and said I or my dad got a notice for jury duty in the mail. Him and I have the same first name so I don't know who it is for.

He moved out to PA two years ago, I moved to a different county the same time and moved to PA six months ago. Are we off the hook? How do I tell the court that? It is petit jury duty out of Morristown

Just ignore it.  I did that for years.  Unless they send it by certified mail there is no proof you ever got it.  I got one for Federal Grand Jury in Newark a few years back - there was no F'ing way I was going to go there.  Just sent it back with a note and told them with the bad economy there is no way I could operate my business if I had to do that and I would have to close and fire all my employees.  That was the last I ever heard of that.

Just ignore it.  I did that for years.  Unless they send it by certified mail there is no proof you ever got it.  I got one for Federal Grand Jury in Newark a few years back - there was no F'ing way I was going to go there.  Just sent it back with a note and told them with the bad economy there is no way I could operate my business if I had to do that and I would have to close and fire all my employees.  That was the last I ever heard of that.

This is just dumb.  Why ignore it?   As Lalo said, go online and tell them that you have moved out of state/county/wherever.  This literally happened to me 3 times and each time, there was no issue at all, just "OK, you're excused".  This is a legitimate excuse and there's nothing they can do about it, especially for town/county petit jury.. 

This is just dumb.  Why ignore it?   As Lalo said, go online and tell them that you have moved out of state/county/wherever.  This literally happened to me 3 times and each time, there was no issue at all, just "OK, you're excused".  This is a legitimate excuse and there's nothing they can do about it, especially for town/county petit jury.. 

Yea that is another way to go, but I ignored them for years and nothing ever came of it.  They can only come after you if they have proof you received a notice to appear.  I actually went once and got picked for a Jury.  I explained to them that I would give the cop much more credibility than the scumbag on trial --- EXCUSED.

Yea that is another way to go, but I ignored them for years and nothing ever came of it.  They can only come after you if they have proof you received a notice to appear.  

And now they have their proof...

Some things shouldn't be talked about

And now they have their proof...

Some things shouldn't be talked about

What proof?  Everyone knows I am full of shit, and to never believe anything I am saying.  Remember - I never tell the truth, I am lying.  Figure that one out :)

Yea that is another way to go, but I ignored them for years and nothing ever came of it.  They can only come after you if they have proof you received a notice to appear.  I actually went once and got picked for a Jury.  I explained to them that I would give the cop much more credibility than the scumbag on trial --- EXCUSED.

I almost made it once. When I explained my profession and how I could only do a week or so before I might have to lay off employees the judge told me tough crap. But it caught their ears that I might have experience on the matter.

The Judge broke in and said, "If we get an expert witness in here, and he tells you something you know not to be true, will you believe it?"

WTF? Not a chance.

Booted my ass out.

Like Howard said, if you didn't sign for it you never got it. I myself get full pay to go to jury duty so I always respond. Several folks I know either cannot afford to take off from work or can't afford a sitter for the kids...... they all burn the notice..... never, not once has there ever been any recourse of doing so......and quite frankly I don't blame them. I was told at one time that they send out so many notices that they don't even care if everyone replies. Now, fill it out, send it back, make the call and if you are told to report and don't show.......I would not chance that.

You don't have to sign for anything to have legal action taken against you. Under some rules they may (or may not) be required to send you notifications both certified and regular mail. You can never sign a darn thing and get a bill for a million dollars over a lawsuit you forfeited or have me show up and knock your house down and start drilling wells.

No idea if there is some special "if you don't sign for jury duty, you can't be prosecuted for breaking the law" rule. But I doubt it.

Mipa....... so your telling me if some hoodlum decided to steal my mail one day and that's the day I received the jury duty notice that they can come after me? Remember, I had no idea that it was taken.  That's truly laughable........

Mipa....... so your telling me if some hoodlum decided to steal my mail one day and that's the day I received the jury duty notice that they can come after me? Remember, I had no idea that it was taken. That's truly laughable........

Of course. I don't know about jury duty, but they will send you a notice to pay a fine or show up to criminal court by mail. They will send you notices of civil action by mail, and if you don't show up, the judge will rule against you and send you a bill for a million dollars. Then if you still don't respond, the Sheriff will put your house up for sale. You do not have to respond for them to come get you. Haven't you heard the tens of thousands of stories of people that had bench warrants and were prosecuted for being fugitives for missing court when they never even knew they had charges against them?

You do not have to agree in advance to get a warrant on your ass. They will happily do it without your participation.

"Oh, the law can't get me as long as I ignore it. It's just a boogey man in the closet."

Yeah, right.

Forget the law, worry about me. I will send you three notices regular and certified mail. You don't respond. I will sue you in superior court. You don't respond to the suit. I win by default, I will come fucking knock your house down. That's not a threat or anything, it's hypothetical, but it is a threat I have been forced by NJ regulators to use on people (never pleasant).

BS.  Your are summoned for Jury duty, you have to be properly served.  That means someone says are you so and so, and when you say yes they hand you the papers - you have been served.  Alternatively they can send it certified mail where you sign as proof you got it.  Just because they put it in the mail does not mean it ever got to you, I have mail issues all the time.

Funny everyone wants to keep their 2nd amendment rights, yet feel no obligation to support the 6th amendment.

I agree. I have been summoned twice and served twice and will do it again. My employer will pay my full pay if I am selected which once cost them a pretty penny, I served on a case for 7 months.

If it will cause a legitimate financial hardship you should absolutely be excused but to disingenuously try to get out of jury duty is just wrong.

BS.  Your are summoned for Jury duty, you have to be properly served.  That means someone says are you so and so, and when you say yes they hand you the papers - you have been served.  Alternatively they can send it certified mail where you sign as proof you got it.  Just because they put it in the mail does not mean it ever got to you, I have mail issues all the time.

How long have you been an American citizen? 

The Questionnaire/Summons

The questionnaire/summons is a legal document. Please read the summons carefully and follow the instructions. You have to fill out the Juror Qualification Form (the yellow portion of the summons), sign it and mail it back to the Jury Management Office within ten (10) days of receiving it. Please make sure to provide all necessary documentation when requesting to be excused. (See Frequently Asked Questions ). Keep the "JUROR" portion of the summons. On the back of the "JUROR" portion of the summons is the telephone number you must call or the website you must visit after 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to your service day for reporting instructions.

NOTE: Failure to complete the questionnaire or making a false statement on the questionnaire may subject you to a $500.00 fine and/or contempt of court.

How long have you been an American citizen? 

The Questionnaire/Summons

The questionnaire/summons is a legal document. Please read the summons carefully and follow the instructions. You have to fill out the Juror Qualification Form (the yellow portion of the summons), sign it and mail it back to the Jury Management Office within ten (10) days of receiving it. Please make sure to provide all necessary documentation when requesting to be excused. (See Frequently Asked Questions ). Keep the "JUROR" portion of the summons. On the back of the "JUROR" portion of the summons is the telephone number you must call or the website you must visit after 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to your service day for reporting instructions.

NOTE: Failure to complete the questionnaire or making a false statement on the questionnaire may subject you to a $500.00 fine and/or contempt of court.

What?  If you don't receive it you can't answer it or know that they want you to.  Just because they put it in the mail in no way shape or form says you got that.  Are you seriously suggesting they can charge you with something without proof?  That is why we have such things as certified mail.  They are just trying to save money by sending it out as crap mail, and fully know many won't get to the intended recipient or will be thrown away with junk mail or just ignored.  Lying on the form is very different than not filling it out.  

302w

Your pretty much safe, you simply are not at that address anymore.  I'm sure one way or another if needed you can show you are living somewhere else.  If you still kept your NJ drivers license and auto insurance tied to the old address then they might see you as not "moved" but things like utility bills in your name in PA go along way.  I'd try calling and checking what to do.  Their not going to think you moved just to get out of jury duty. You can ignore it like some are saying, but if a summons or warrant is issued in NJ you are going to have to deal with it if pulled over.