rifleman

Car selling advice

I am asking advice from my gun toting brothers:

Selling a Nissan Maxima 2012 40k miles. It has 80K on a transferable warranty, dealer serviced, non-smoking adult owner. I think it is worth about $22,00 and I have never sold anything like this before. I usually drive them into the ground. I had a job in north Jersey and brought it to be a commuting car. It is fast and heavy, good on the highway.

I was lucky to get a job close to home and can drive my truck. I am getting tired of the driveway shuffle.

Anybody, tips? I am already wise to the money order and fake bank check scams. This is only going face to face with good ID. I have the title and can sign it over to a bank if the person borrows.

I would appreciate any advice. It is probably safer to buy or sell a gun or ammo to you guys than this car.

Thanks, friends. PM me if you want to keep comments offline. 

Hey moderators, this is NOT a for-sale add. I just need advice to do this easily or else I would be meeting potential buyers at the pits in CJRPC, my usual habitat. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I am asking advice from my gun toting brothers:

Selling a Nissan Maxima 2012 40k miles. It has 80K on a transferable warranty, dealer serviced, non-smoking adult owner. I think it is worth about $22,00 and I have never sold anything like this before. I usually drive them into the ground. I had a job in north Jersey and brought it to be a commuting car. It is fast and heavy, good on the highway.

I was lucky to get a job close to home and can drive my truck. I am getting tired of the driveway shuffle.

Anybody, tips? I am already wise to the money order and fake bank check scams. This is only going face to face with good ID. I have the title and can sign it over to a bank if the person borrows.

I would appreciate any advice. It is probably safer to buy or sell a gun or ammo to you guys than this car.

Thanks, friends. PM me if you want to keep comments offline. 

Hey moderators, this is NOT a for-sale add. I just need advice to do this easily or else I would be meeting potential buyers at the pits in CJRPC, my usual habitat. HAHAHAHAHAHA

I sold my WRX on Craigslist in September but I met the guy at work during the day.  My town tells people to do any transfers at the Police station as it is video monitored and help is right there :).

Frankly though, I doubt you'll get any interest on a car on CL in that price range.  Most craigslist folks are tire kickers looking for a steal.

You can sell through Autotrader,"Instant Cash offer" CarCash or any number of those car buyers but you will get wholesale.  Wholesale on that car is probably around 15k.  You can buy a week at Galves http://www.galves.com/t-productinfo_1.aspx for $10.00.   The number you get from them is pretty much spot on what dealers like Autotrader are going to offer you on that car.

When you do find a buyer, you can also meet them at THEIR bank.  If you watch the cashier's check being created at the bank, you're good to go.  Never go alone no matter where.

Finally, do you have any family or family friends?  Ask around, perhaps one of them is looking.

You will be lucky to get the low end of that scale.....

Consumers rarely have that kind of cash on hand to buy Private Party.....  and do not want the hassle to get the loan on their own...... so they will spend more at a Dealer....

Consumers do not like to spend that kind of money.... without a real backing from a Dealer Warranty..... your transferrable warranty is nice..... but a Certified Pre-Owned Warranty from a Dealer will trump it..... for peace of mind to the average consumer....

Selling a $3K to $5K car privately is much easier then the price range you are in....  You might have an uphill battle...

You might get lucky and find the right ass for the right seat quickly, not trying to discourage you.....  just want you to be prepared for the long haul....

Do not bother with Craigslist..... you will get spammed from wholesalers mostly.....

Autotrader.com

Cars.com

and as much as I hate to say it.....  Carfax

Other ways....

Find a Nissan forum..... join and list it

KBB numbers are no where near reality.   The reality is you can take 20% off that number to find out what a motivated buyer will pay for it.  If you're looking for a sale in weeks, rather than months, knock 30-40% off that number.

Galves is the only service that gives numbers that you can expect to get.   You can do better than Galves, I did, by $200.00 but it took me 6 weeks.   If you have a highly desirable car, you may be able to get KBB...like a Hellcat or SuperSnake Mustang.  Other than that, they have a bunch of pot smoking lemurs that key in their car values.

• Like 1

I did not know Galves had retail prices.  In my past experience Galves is the most accurate Wholesale price guide. The bible of the dealer world.  I buy and sell a dozen or more cars and light trucks a year and use a combination of NADA, Edmunds,  KBB, Autotrader, Cars.com plus my experience to price a vehicle. I have sold cars on cars.com and autotrader with success. I won't go near craigs list.  Tried it and got nothing but tire kickers and scammers.

It's true that a car priced above 5-6 thousand is harder to sell. People need financing and don't know how to get it or can't be bothered. A dealer is easier because one stop shopping. 

Good luck!

I did not know Galves had retail prices.  In my past experience Galves is the most accurate Wholesale price guide. The bible of the dealer world.  I buy and sell a dozen or more cars and light trucks a year and use a combination of NADA, Edmunds,  KBB, Autotrader, Cars.com plus my experience to price a vehicle. I have sold cars on cars.com and autotrader with success. I won't go near craigs list.  Tried it and got nothing but tire kickers and scammers.

It's true that a car priced above 5-6 thousand is harder to sell. People need financing and don't know how to get it or can't be bothered. A dealer is easier because one stop shopping. 

Good luck!

Galves only has wholesale prices..... but the reality is.... on the private market you are only going to get slightly more then Galves these day. When dealers take in trades..... They will usually take the car in for UNDER Galves..... Now, when they go to auction to replenish their lots.... it's brutal with the bidding, and the prime cars go for as much as thousands over Galves...... 

Good luck!

In my experience, the only folks that get retail price on cars are dealers.   The Galves wholesale value is pretty much what people want to pay in a private sale.  If you are willing to sit on a car for months and months, you might do better, but I don't  think anyone is paying KBB value unless it's coming off a dealer lot and includes financing.  I'm talking about cars 5 years old or newer or over 10k.   Cars over 100k miles and under 10k have a whole different dynamic since condition can vary wildly.

I will soon be in the same boat (literally). Due to the expected growth in the family we have to trade in one of our two jeep GrCherokee for the dreaded minivan. One is a 2009 listed at 13-15kbb or a 2003@3-5 on kbb. I hate giving up the 09 but using that higher trade in would be really nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have sold SEVERAL things throughout the years. As a matter of a fact I just sold my truck last week and am selling my RZR today! That being said, I only use craigslist to buy and sell. Yea there are TONS of scams on there and I personally know some people who have been scammed you just need to know what to look for. I will tell you craigslist is a huge PAIN in the ass as you will find there are several loosers out there that will severely insult you with their asking price. One case is Im selling my polaris RZR. I dont HAVE to sell it but I just want a newer one. Its worth around $8000 so I listed it at $9000. Sure nuff I got a few offers of $4000! People will insult you with their offers but if you can be patient you will get near what you want. BTW Im selling it for $8000 today and thats after I removed about $2000 worth of accessories. 

I just sold my bike yesterday. The only way I made the process easy was by selling it below value. I got a lot of interest once I priced it to actually sell. People will try very hard to buy something they need when it's relatively cheap. The guy I sold it to went way out of his way to make sure he got it.. The way people communicate with you will be the best way to see how the sale will go. If it's large sums of money then you can literally do the sale at the bank they are loaning from or request a certified check. But if it's not cash, then it should be something just as good.

I also sold my previous WRX on CL in matter of couple weeks. There were a lot of low ballers but also a couple of reasonable offers. I sold it for a higher amount than I was ready to sell (but it was $8500 worth car).

I sold my WRX on Craigslist in September but I met the guy at work during the day.  My town tells people to do any transfers at the Police station as it is video monitored and help is right there :).

Frankly though, I doubt you'll get any interest on a car on CL in that price range.  Most craigslist folks are tire kickers looking for a steal.

You can sell through Autotrader,"Instant Cash offer" CarCash or any number of those car buyers but you will get wholesale.  Wholesale on that car is probably around 15k.  You can buy a week at Galves http://www.galves.com/t-productinfo_1.aspx for $10.00.   The number you get from them is pretty much spot on what dealers like Autotrader are going to offer you on that car.

When you do find a buyer, you can also meet them at THEIR bank.  If you watch the cashier's check being created at the bank, you're good to go.  Never go alone no matter where.

Finally, do you have any family or family friends?  Ask around, perhaps one of them is looking.

Car Sale update

I think it is going to work out OK. Dealer offered me $17k for the Maxima and 7K for a perfectly good 2004 Silverado 1500 4WD (140k miles) trade in on a $29K 2013 Silverado 4WD w/18k miles. They take the trade ins off the price so I have to pay $4k cash, sales tax on that and whatever fees they stick me with. If this goes good, I will have a much newer truck for less than 5 grand.

But I am not done with these mfs yet. I am going to take the truck to my garage for a good look over if possible or have a friend check it. Also want my $500 bonus for being a repeat customer. This will be my third car from them and I have mt eye on a car for my wife soon.

The good thing is that I am not dying for the truck and can walk out anytime,

• Like 1

I can tell you as a buyer of a used car private sale, getting a loan is a minor hassle. As the seller you should be prepared with copies of the title and registration, or letters certifying the mileage.

It can be done and I wish you luck.

I used to know a guy who had a lot in Florida.  He'd sell fairly nice used cars, older Jags, Benzes, etc.  Anything he could cherry pick at auction and then fix any flaws.  He's sell off the lot, but also on Ebay (CL wasn't that popular back then).  He said the magic threshold was around 6-7k.  Anything over that usually meant the interested buyer had to line up a loan, which is tough to do unless you belong to a credit union.  Interesting business.

Sounds like you got a good deal from the dealer on the Maxima.  I had an '012 SV.  Nice car.

I used to know a guy who had a lot in Florida. He'd sell fairly nice used cars, older Jags, Benzes, etc. Anything he could cherry pick at auction and then fix any flaws. He's sell off the lot, but also on Ebay (CL wasn't that popular back then). He said the magic threshold was around 6-7k. Anything over that usually meant the interested buyer had to line up a loan, which is tough to do unless you belong to a credit union. Interesting business.

Sounds like you got a good deal from the dealer on the Maxima. I had an '012 SV. Nice car.

To add to this I used to be fairly close to a guy that had a lot in Fort Lee.

They want you to finance through them. They will make more money from the interest than the cost of the car. They can actually afford to sell the car at a loss.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk