flank

what to purchase: ammo or reloading supplies?

Hi all, im in a bit of a minor dilemma and would like to once again call upon the advice of the forum members. I've been purchasing ammo frequently when i've spotted good deals/free shipping. I've accumulated what I think is a good amount (i'm not going to list a round count because that number is subjective). I plan to continue this trend of purchasing but this is where I'm not sure what direction to take.

I plan on reloading but want to wait until I get a bigger place, which is 2-3 years away. In the meantime i'm saving my brass and may pickup a press/dies etc.. if I catch a good deal. With that said, would it make sense to start allocating a percentage of my ammo purchases into reloading components powder/primers/bullets? or do I continue purchasing ammo and switch to reloading components when I am ready to reload? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would say to continue to buy ammo when you can get A GOOD deal on it. That said, Reloading is A great way to insure A strong inventory of ammo. This is especially important for the times that A ammo scare raises its head again. (and it will)

I have A inventory of factory handgun ammo, Plus keep enough components on hand to carry myself through A substantial down turn of availability.

Years ago I loaded all of my shotgun ammo. But I have stopped that.   The price difference just dosnt add up.  I am always able to buy 12 gauge target shells for no more that $50.00 A flat.

Primers and powder will be hard to get in A scare and when correctly stored, you will have no problems with them.

It's good to have lots of reloading components especially because it may be hard later to find the powder you see now. Also to start buying components is not so expensive. Buy two 8 pound jugs and 10k primers and put them away until you are ready to start. I'd continue to buy ammo. Keep in mind that you can sell factory ammo and reloading components but you won't be able to find anyone that will buy or trade your handloads. That's besides for the legal aspect.

Given the fact you have loaded ammo, and plan on reloading, I would begin stockpiling reloading components especially primers and powder.  Save all your brass.  As we get closer to the November election I can see ammo prices going up and after the election is anybody's guess.  I am pretty confidant that after the 2017 state election for governor we will see a ban on online ammo ordering as well as other stupid crap, like a state surtax. 

It's good to have lots of reloading components especially because it may be hard later to find the powder you see now. Also to start buying components is not so expensive. Buy two 8 pound jugs and 10k primers and put them away until you are ready to start. I'd continue to buy ammo. Keep in mind that you can sell factory ammo and reloading components but you won't be able to find anyone that will buy or trade your handloads. That's besides for the legal aspect.

I agree, I personally started collecting my brass about 10 years ago but only started reloading 2 years ago. To my dismay i found that primers and powder were difficult to come by. So if you are confident that you will start reloading i would start stocking up on primers and powder. Presses and dies i would hold off on since they will be readily available and its a good bet that when you decide to start reloading something new will come out

I agree, I personally started collecting my brass about 10 years ago but only started reloading 2 years ago. To my dismay i found that primers and powder were difficult to come by. So if you are confident that you will start reloading i would start stocking up on primers and powder. Presses and dies i would hold off on since they will be readily available and its a good bet that when you decide to start reloading something new will come out

I disagree with your last statement.

Presses and dies haven't fundamentally changed in a very long time.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Presses and dies i would hold off on since they will be readily available and its a good bet that when you decide to start reloading something new will come out

It was only a few years ago but trying to find 9mm dies proved quite a challenge

I would stockpile while you can -- Hilary in office and it's gonna get hard -- You won't see sales like the one below -- $399 with free shipping

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005095100/Lock-N-Load-AP-Auto-Progressive-Press 

I waited a month to get this just a few years ago, then it came broken and I wouldn't give it back because I might not have seen a replacement 

Point is -- If your gonna buy -- buy now while you can

• Like 1

I disagree with your last statement.

Presses and dies haven't fundamentally changed in a very long time.

Fundamentally they haven't changed, I agree. But new models and features do come out periodically.

Marty, you clearly weren't reloading during the last shortage.

Lee dies for common calibers were selling for 3x msrp on eBay.

Not saying that will happen again, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility

You are correct, I wasn't reloading during the last shortage, I actually started reloading towards the tail end of it and it was a lot easier to find reloading equipment then powder and primers, even at 3x the cost. If you believe that buying reloading equipment now is the right idea that's fine. I believe that it's better to spend money on primers and powder when they are readily available and save up money to buy better reloading equipment when the OP is ready to start reloading. I made the mistake of not saving up money for reloading equipment and bought a lee load-master. If I knew then what I know know I would have started to save money when I started saving brass and would have gotten myself a Dillon instead. Again, the ultimate decision is the OPs, he asked for an opinion, that's all I gave, my opinion from my personnel experience. 

OK, The first question is how much time will you have for reloading, and how much budget? 

I ask this because when you buy ammo on sale and put it away, you are good to go. When you buy reloading components on sale, you can be screwed by shortages of an individual component. Beyond that, you are trading cost per round in dollars for cost per round in time. You need to have the time available if you aren't going to effectively be shifting from a shooting hobby to a reloading hobby. 

For me, reloading was where it was at because I could get ammo tailored to my uses, and I very often ran into chunks of down time later in the evening, so it couldn't readily be spent shooting. On top of that, building a multi-year buffer of supply was much easier by picking up components on sale. 

When I started reloading, a 6 month buffer was more than plenty. Then it quickly went to needing a year. That got shot to hell badly with the shortages. Then I laid in 4 years of supplies, and start topping off to 4 years worth when I get down to 2 years worth of anything. That has let me ride out multiple shortages. 

I've shot more reloading than I could have just buying ammo, but if you don't have time to shoot a lot more than you currently fund with manufactured ammo, it might not make a lot of sense. 

Buy both, as much as you can, as fast as you can.  Having an overstock of ammo, powder or primers is never a bad thing.  Even if you wont reload or shoot the ammo for another five or ten years, it's a good investment.  Just think how much ammo has gone up in the past five years.  It ain't ever going to get cheaper and if you decide to get out of shooting altogether, it's the one thing you can be certain will sell for a profit.

So i've been storing my ammo in metal or plastic ammo cans with good o-ring seals and dropping 2x dessicant packs inside each can. About 2-3 times per year I open each can and recharge the dessicant packs. This regime works pretty well for me, i've shot 22lr ammo that was 8 years old with great success. If stored under the same conditions could I expect the same or greater shelf-life from reloading components powder/primers?

I understand that with reloading you are basically exchanging your time in order to reduce cost per round. I don't see that as an issue as I will sometimes find myself on the couch wishing I had something better to do rather than sitting there watching tv. I plan to reload 9mm, 38spl, 45acp and 223/556. This list may grow/shrink depending on what calibers I own/shoot at the time.

Unless your ammo is in a very damp location, you are worrying to much. A friend gave me some 40 year old ammo that his father had on a shelf in a closet. Every round went bang.

Now back to the original question. See heavyop's link. It is a great price on a great press. Powders and primers seem to be getting more available. Xtreme plated bullets are great for plinking/training and are reasonably priced.

The question is: Do you have the money for the buy in now? Its not just the press and components. Scales, calipers, cleaning / prepping tools, flip trays, bullet puller, dies, shell holders etc. All add up. My guess is 500-1000 to get started. You can save in the long run, but outlay upfront can be steep.

I have stored components from the 90s.  If kept cool and dry they might just outlast you. Over the years I wished I bought more. When you reload, you will learn how, what, and when to scavenge.  You buy when the price is right no matter  whether you need it or not.  You never have too much in the rotation.  Covers you over the short or high price times. Never seen prices go down in 30 years.

While that lyman progressive press for $400 looks like a good deal its not in the budget right now. I just put in for more P2Ps and would like to have some extra $$ available just encase.

I'm liking www.grafs.com for reloading components, they appear to have a flat rate shipping fee while I know other sites charge hazmat fee for shipping powders/primers. Can anyone recommend any additional websites for reloading components?

While that lyman progressive press for $400 looks like a good deal its not in the budget right now. I just put in for more P2Ps and would like to have some extra $$ available just encase.

I'm liking www.grafs.com for reloading components, they appear to have a flat rate shipping fee while I know other sites charge hazmat fee for shipping powders/primers. Can anyone recommend any additional websites for reloading components?

Best bet with components is to get in on group buys and buy in bulk. Hazmat kills any deal you might find if you order alone.

But sites to look at are powder valley, Widener's, midsouth , grafs, etc.

OK, The first question is how much time will you have for reloading, and how much budget? 

I ask this because when you buy ammo on sale and put it away, you are good to go. When you buy reloading components on sale, you can be screwed by shortages of an individual component. Beyond that, you are trading cost per round in dollars for cost per round in time. You need to have the time available if you aren't going to effectively be shifting from a shooting hobby to a reloading hobby. 

For me, reloading was where it was at because I could get ammo tailored to my uses, and I very often ran into chunks of down time later in the evening, so it couldn't readily be spent shooting. On top of that, building a multi-year buffer of supply was much easier by picking up components on sale. 

I think you have defined the problem well, but my solution to it was exactly the opposite of yours.  I buy ammo whenever I see it at a decent price, and have managed to stockpile quite a bit of it (although of course "quite a bit" means different things to different people).  Given that prices are unlikely to come down in the future, and that supplies can dry up at any time for a variety of reasons, anyone serious about shooting should keep a good supply on hand.  

I have no interest in spending my spare time reloading, so I have made the decision to work a little more if necessary so I can afford to buy more ammo.

Buy powder, heads, primers etc now for the future.

I was looking at some older powders I bought 10 years ago and they still have the price tag on them : $12.50 per pound. Today the same powder at fair price would be $22 per pound. With the powder shortage last year people were paying close to $30 per pound.

Best bet with components is to get in on group buys and buy in bulk. Hazmat kills any deal you might find if you order alone.

But sites to look at are powder valley, Widener's, midsouth , grafs, etc.

Group buys are nice but you can certainly save money buying alone -- trick is you have to fill the box -- When I buy alone, I max out the box -- Usually spend <$700 -- I have never experienced any real shortages but did have difficulty for awhile finding projectiles

Buy powder, heads, primers etc now for the future.

I was looking at some older powders I bought 10 years ago and they still have the price tag on them : $12.50 per pound. Today the same powder at fair price would be $22 per pound. With the powder shortage last year people were paying close to $30 per pound.

It's scary isn't it -- I have some boxes of primers, bought 20 years ago at Rays sport shop -- they where expensive -- $11.99 per 1000

Here is the thing about this whole thread --  Who do you think will win the presidency?

There is a very real chance that Hillary is our next president -- There is no question that this WILL drive gun prices sky high and cause shortages of ammo and components 

Will we recover?  Maybe, most likely --  but our mode of enjoyment will be threatened even worse than it is today

Even now -- .22 rimfire still hasn't recovered -- the days of $16 milk cartons of federal 550 packs are gone -- that wasn't very long ago

My point is -- BUY NOW -- It sure is nice to have the capability to make ammo but certainly not a necessity

BUY NOW ammo or components and equipment -- Wednesday, November 9th this year may be too late

Unless you have a few grand to drop right now, reloading isn't going to be the better option.

About the only thing your going to find during a shortage are presses and odds and ends. No primers, no Powders, no Dies(common rounds), no bullets, no brass.

If you wanted to start getting ready to reload, I don't recommend it but start buying good powder and primers before next year. If you need help with powder or primers just ask here, plenty of people can help you find a decent powders to make plinking rounds.

It doesn't take a few grand to get into reloading...

It does to stock up on everything you need to make it through a shortage for your calibers you shoot. Looking into the future, right now isnt the time to ease into the reloading market. its time to start thinking what will and wont be available in a few months.

It does to stock up on everything you need to make it through a shortage for your calibers you shoot. Looking into the future, right now isnt the time to ease into the reloading market. its time to start thinking what will and wont be available in a few months.

Completely disagree with you.

Can get a nice single stage press for ~$70 or a Lee progressive for $120.