Malsua

Vent Hood re-direct

So I spent a couple hours this morning re-plumbing a vent hood.   I set the damn smoke detectors off every time something starts to smoke in the broiler or oven.  It's been annoying me for years.

My house is post and beam and directly behind the vent hood is a beam.  I can't go out the top either so I bought a new hood from Lowes and decided to direct the vent off to the side of the back.

I used some U-channel and a piece of 1/8 aluminum.  I ground the hole open with a pneumatic grinder, a few cuts, tap in a few bolts and viola.

I think it came out pretty good.   I'll run some sealant on the seams tonight and then I just need to open a hole to the outside, shove the parts through and hook up the wiring.  woot.

hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

hood3.jpg

hood4.jpg

hood5.jpg

Looks like it was a pain in the ass, but no one needs those darn cooking alarms :)

Yeah, a little.  The bigger pain in the ass is that no one sells one that exits that way.   I can't be the only person in the country that has something in the way of directly venting out the rear.   If I went out the top, I'd end up going through the cabinents(rendering them useless) and then I'd have to go to the side anyway because It's right under the ridge beam as well.    I figured what the hell, it's just sheet metal, it can't be that hard to change the air flow.

Nice clean job. Very similar to the vent I did 2 yrs ago and for the same reason BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!. And of course I had a partition wall excactly where the duct needed to go. did some fancy homemade off-set ducting, build a horizontal chase thru the bathroom and finally outside. Hardest part was all the preliminary detective work to find a clear straight path thru all the framing but not having the smokes going off is awesome now. Genuine metal duct tape is your friend for leaky seams- not that you'd have any.....

Nice work, neat and professional. While on the subject of range hoods, can anyone tell me why so few kitchens are designed with the stove against an outside wall?

I've looked at many new floor plans and rarely see one.

Thanks, it was the morning project in the shop as we drank coffee.  

As for your question, either it's cheaper not to bother or someone isn't paying attention.  I can tell you that now that I've pretty much rebuilt my entire house, I scratch my head at the way things were done.  Things that could have easily been done during the building process were done ass backward or simply just slapped together.

Nice clean job. Very similar to the vent I did 2 yrs ago and for the same reason BEEP BEEP BEEP!!!. And of course I had a partition wall excactly where the duct needed to go. did some fancy homemade off-set ducting, build a horizontal chase thru the bathroom and finally outside. Hardest part was all the preliminary detective work to find a clear straight path thru all the framing but not having the smokes going off is awesome now. Genuine metal duct tape is your friend for leaky seams- not that you'd have any.....

Ducting is always a pita.  That said, I have some left over metal duct tape from when I replaced the broken plenum doors in my Dodge truck.  Good idea, I'll use that.

Malsua, you can be my tin knocker anytime, nice work.

I have had to do 8 or 9 similar mods for clients who had the same kinds of issues, most of whom didn't really want to give up the cabinet space. In my cases, I usually have to satisfy building inspectors as to air flow and duct sizing and length of run. Even they would approve your handiwork there.

If you need to, aluminum ducting tape actually works better than our old standby duck/t tape, it seals better and lasts longer in this application. AFTER  you use a few zip screws, of course, but you knew that! :rtfm:

Malsua, you can be my tin knocker anytime, nice work.

I have had to do 8 or 9 similar mods for clients who had the same kinds of issues, most of whom didn't really want to give up the cabinet space. In my cases, I usually have to satisfy building inspectors as to air flow and duct sizing and length of run. Even they would approve your handiwork there.

If you need to, aluminum ducting tape actually works better than our old standby duck/t tape, it seals better and lasts longer in this application. AFTER  you use a few zip screws, of course, but you knew that! :rtfm:

Thanks, but this was a one and done. :codemafia:

It's going to rain tomorrow, so I'll cut into the house Sunday.  I think I'll go see Captain America tomorrow.

Nice work, neat and professional. While on the subject of range hoods, can anyone tell me why so few kitchens are designed with the stove against an outside wall?

I've looked at many new floor plans and rarely see one.

Just the way things are is all. Contractors now a days do thing the easiest and cheapest way. I started out as a HVAC contractor then spread into doing just about anything. Even hung cabinets in a few hundred houses and contractors are clueless. They wouldn't even block kitchens for cabinets by the time I stopped doing them. A few thought I was crazy when I complained.

I also have laid out many many kitchens between doing the HVAC, plumbing and cabinets. The hardest thing to do is explain to a woman how a kitchen shouldn't be laid out, they are always right and I have re-done more than one kitchen after a house was completed.

The biggest thing was stoves and refrigerators, they always want then over there out of the way, until they start cooking every day and whine the refrigerator is to far away from the stove or sink. LOL Second biggest change was the supply register they insisted putting under the sink kick plate. And the one that I took out 100% of the time was the A/C reg they insisted putting in the bathroom. Removed 99 out of every hundred they insisted I put in.

Lay your kitchen out anyway you want then ask the contractors their opinion.

• Like 1

Did HVAC work much of my life and unfortunately had to make adjustments all the time. I used 26g sheet metal. Yours came much better than most I've seen for sure.

We do most of our machine modification work with aluminum of various types, so there's tons of scrap laying around.   We also drill and tap where possible so everything is right there.   Having a steel bench, unlimited air, vices, band saws, sanders etc. is very helpful.  If I had done this at home, it'd probably look like drunk lemur's made it. ;)

• Like 1

They wouldn't even block kitchens for cabinets by the time I stopped doing them. A few thought I was crazy when I complained.

I do kitchen makeovers all the time, and even bathrooms I don't even bother to ask, I just put p blocking on my own dime. If I want to put the cabinets in right, I don't wanna have to hunt for studs that might just miss the edges of the cabinets.

Who in the hell wouldn't want a few chunks of 2x8 inside the bathroom walls when we ALL benefit from grab bars??????????

• Like 1

I do kitchen makeovers all the time, and even bathrooms I don't even bother to ask, I just put p blocking on my own dime. If I want to put the cabinets in right, I don't wanna have to hunt for studs that might just miss the edges of the cabinets.

Who in the hell wouldn't want a few chunks of 2x8 inside the bathroom walls when we ALL benefit from grab bars??????????

I hear ya. Nothing more then scrap wood laying around anyway and a handful of nails or screws if i did it. You knock time off the install and the cabinets will never fall for less than an hour labor from the start. LOL

As for bathrooms my problem was always the pedestal sinks, They are on the prints most of the time and there's no wood to secure it to the wall. I've cut sheet rock up many time only to here the GC whine why did you do that.

Sounds like you do/did good work, the little things no one ever sees is what shows work people do! No one ever knew we spent extra time blocking kitchens and baths do they?

I prefer RealD 3D over IMAX 3D - I can actually tilt my head a little and not have things get out of focus.

I have varifocal glasses.  I'm used to holding my head still to see stuff.   That said, I've done 3d at the Kinnelon movies and Imax 3d at the AMC theatre in Rockway and the one in Rockaway is far superior.  Kinnelon probably uses tech from the 1950s because it doesn't say anything about realD , just 3d.

I prefer RealD 3D over IMAX 3D - I can actually tilt my head a little and not have things get out of focus.

Saw it in IMAX 3D.  Good movie, very enjoyable.  I'm not entirely sure it was worth the $55 ($34 tickets + $21 in junk food) but I enjoyed it all the same.