Sign in to follow this  
siderman

Attic mold

Seems a lot of us post home remedy questions here so I'll do my part :). Wife and I are stuck selling her parents home here while they moved to FL. Been a long PIA process... Anyway a buyers inspection cited mold in the attic.I looked and sure enough its on the roof sheathing  along the bottem 2' or so just above the floor. Doesnt seem like the typicall "black mold" seems more  greenish. Not looking for causes as its fairly obvious poor ventilation- no soffit to vent from but there is a gable/ridge vent. Anyone have experience  with this either from  a buyers or sellers point of view?. I know there most likely will need to be a treatment/remediation so my concerns are basically costs, as always and will be looking into that more..Not a habitable attic just a typicall hot dirty dusty one with pull down steps for access but walkable.

A chlorine bleach and water solution should take care of your problem. Use a spray bottle and brush - easy since you don't have to worry about cosmetics.

Just a thought.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Whatever you do, do NOT call a mold remediation company! Take care of it yourself with a couple of hours work and save MANY thousands of dollars and the aggravation 

of having 10 people in hazmat suits in the house for a week!

Point is most inspectors are about as knowledgeable about mold as I am in neurosugery...i knew my attic was dry as a bone..roof was about 5 years old with mostly new sheathing..ventilated properly..so air test confirmed through showing there was more mold outside than inside that my attic wasnt mold infested..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

thanks for the replys. I've read that bleach is not the cure, as it only kills the surface affliction and doesnt penetrate enough to get the "roots' and the fumes might do me in lol.  And I'm afraid that any maybe treatment will need to be done by a pro to satisfy the buyers needs which may include meeting their mortgage requirements just like they wont issue a mortgage with a termite concern, and I sure dont want to do it myself, too much crawling and scrubbing for my knees and its hot as heck besides its a lot not just a few areas but basically the entire length both sides. Newer roof, not leakage just bad vent near the floor as their is no soffit to  cross vent to the ridge vent. I like the idea of a indoor/outdoor test it may offer some leeway but the mold is still there. Any references on that in/around Brgn Cnty? Will also see if i can get away with spraying Wet&forget type stuff, that is easy enough.

Wait, not to side track, I was looking at a house and found mold in basement (white in foundation, black on drywall ceiling). House has been vacant for two years with nothing running so I expected that help the mold form. Now the realtor told me I would have to handle this before my mortgage company even lending the money for this house...

Is this correct? I don't get how I have to handle it if I didn't even own it yet?

Sorry to hijack thread but you for mold and selling house and YOUR fixing so I was curious about my situation.

If the mold was found through the buyers inspection, you'll probably be faced with two choices - either the buyer walks or you have a professional remediate. Any buyers attorney that would approve a sale with a known mold issue would be in a tough spot.

Yes, you can probably treat it yourself but without a certified contractor to sign off on it you'll need to include it on an updated sellers disclosure, and your realtor would be liable if you didn't.

Yes it sucks. Mold is just one of those issues.