PDM

AR Slings

Does anyone know of a 1 point sling attachment that can be put on the buffer tube without removing the stock, which as we all know must be pinned here in beautiful NJ.  I am using a jury-rigged sling that essentially wraps around the buffer tube rather than clipping on but it really interferes with the charging handle.  I don't want to have to go through the hassle of going to a gunsmith to take off the pinned stock to mount a sling adapter.  Alternatively, I was thinking of using a 2 point sling instead, one end attached through the slot in the stock the other mounted on a Magpul attachment to the MOE fore-end.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated (including opinions of 1 vs 2 point sling).

I have an MP-15 Sport.  I believe the castle nut is staked so would not be easy to remove at all.  There is no mounting point now.  I have a 1 point sling that essentially wraps around the buffer tube without a mounting point.  Sucks.

Another vote for ditch the 1 point, their theoretical advantages never seem to overcome their downsides.

If you insisit on a single point sling, I have  Specter gear MOUT which you can attach to all sorts of things with a simple webbing loop that you can buy separately, like this: http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=582

You should be able to wrap that around anything,

I have one of those slings with 2-3 attachment bits just so I can strap a sling to ANYTHING quickly, but the Procter sling does that better while being 2 point, so I suspect the Specter one will go into the spare webbing box.

• Like 1

Interesting fact: The PR-16 and the PR-4 were both developed by Pat Rogers (hence the PR followed with a 4 for the M4 receiver extension and a 16 for the M16A2 stock) for the USMC while they were looking into the M4 for their Fleet and SOCOM units and then put into production by Pat's buddy Jeff Cahill at Tangodown

Another vote for ditch the 1 point, their theoretical advantages never seem to overcome their downsides.

If you insisit on a single point sling, I have Specter gear MOUT which you can attach to all sorts of things with a simple webbing loop that you can buy separately, like this: http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=582

You should be able to wrap that around anything,

I have one of those slings with 2-3 attachment bits just so I can strap a sling to ANYTHING quickly, but the Procter sling does that better while being 2 point, so I suspect the Specter one will go into the spare webbing box.

When I had a 1 Point it was a Spectre MOUT sling. It was good kit. I used it for a while on my shotgun after I put a VCAS on my rifle. Now it's in gear bin somewhere in the basement......

I like the idea of the Proctor Sling. I'd like to get my hands on one to test out.

I like the idea of the Proctor Sling. I'd like to get my hands on one to test out.

The Proctor Sling is really a nice bit of kit if you need a multi purpose sling for random guns that might lack proper attachment points. I prefer a VTAC or VCAS for guns that get their own slings that don't get screwed around with, but the Proctor is basically everything you need and not a mouse fart more when you just want a sling.

When I had a 1 Point it was a Spectre MOUT sling. It was good kit. I used it for a while on my shotgun after I put a VCAS on my rifle. Now it's in gear bin somewhere in the basement......

I've got Proctor slings on a couple of my guns.

The main attraction for me is the minimalist design and the fact that I didn't need to be locked into any specific mounting hardware.

After using them for a couple of years, I've decided that (for me) they work best on the AK platform guns since I'm a lefty and it allows me to sling them up so that the charging handle isn't poking me in the gut.

My main complaint about using them on my AR is that, short of tying it in a knot, I can't get the front piece of paracord to stay tight even with the cinch that attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently started out with a Magpul Single Pt Single QD sling and I have to say I'm not lovin' it.   Nothing against Magpul.  It's the single point style that I have issues with.  Not sure what you guys see as the down sides of a single point, but I just don't like how it's feels too unstable if I absolutely need to take a hand off.  Or even with a hand on, it's less stable than I'd like.  Seems like a two point would be more stable. 

The other issue is there seems to be only one way to use it.  And using it with with heavier winter clothing kind of sucks a bit.

That's my "inexperienced user" critique.  Glad I saw this thread.  Thought I was just missing something.

Will give the Blue Force Gear VCAS 125 a try.

Thnx for the insights....

All that input is very helpful.  I get why the 2 point has some advantages over a 1 point.  My reality is that I bring my AR to the range 4 times a year more or less and take a carbine class every couple of years.  For those limited purposes, and to have a workable and simple sling mount in a SHTF situation (I don't rely on an AR for home defense) I'm thinking the single point may be better for me.  From what I've seen of the 2 point it will require some familiarization and practice which I realistically may not give it.  I'm not going to be competing or going on any marches with my rifle so the added stability isn't really that much of a factor for me.

So .. what purpose do you think the 1 point sling serves then?

You aren't going to carry it that way, it sucks for it. You aren't going to be doing quick weapon transitions because it is going to smack you in the knees and nuts and you will stop.  In theory it is easier to do side switching with one then 2-point  but given you planned usage you probably won't spend a lot of time with that. You aren't going to walk long distances with it slung because it is pretty terrible for that too. 

Single point sling doesn't mean the weapon has to hang in front of you... put it on safe, go up and over your weak shoulder, and the firearm is out of the way (butt will be up by your head).

If you want it real secure, have a short secure point up near the barrel, and the other interface on the back part of your vest/belt.

All I know is that the one point worked pretty well for the carbine class I just took, other than the fact that the way it was mounted (wrapped around the buffer tube) interfered with the charging handle  and was a royal PITA.  Moving backwards, forwards and side to side after transitioning to pistol was no problem -- I didn't find that the carbine hanging from the sling got in the way.  Then again, I shoot pistol righty and rifle lefty, so maybe that made a difference -- makes the sidearm much more accessible although it does lead to other problems.  Anyway, I'm going to look into both before deciding.  Thanks for all of the input. 

The Tactical Link Z-360 mount is what I use on all my AR carbines. Fantastic sling mount and NO weapon disassembly required.

http://www.tacticallink.com/Z-360-Sling-Mount-GEN-2.html

I pair it with one of their convertible slings, and it works for me.

99% of the time I use it as a 2 point sling. There have been a few instances where single point was handy, but only if not moving around too much. Otherwise, it tends to bang you in the crotch....