Averagejoeshmo

Paintball gun for self defense?

FN303s look like first strike rounds

Very similar.  Perfect Circle made a BUNCH of different rounds that most people have never even seen.  When Tom designed this marker,  I was at the AGD factory when we were fortunate enough to watch a 16 gauge door down the end of a 100 ft hallway get dented right through to the other side.  Unlike what some people who seem to know it all say,  this WILL take down a human with one shot.  These are not necessarily wimpy non-lethal "Leo" loads.  It may have been designed as a less than lethal marker but it is capable of much more.  Think rifled slug like.  And dont get me wrong,  it is not a good choice for home defense but I am under the impression that the OP wanted to use it to buy time to get to his other weapon.  I do feel it could be used for this in certain situations.

Tuna, I have shot a 303. Many times with many ammunition types. It fills a role. HD is not it. Also, the glass breaker rounds suck and don't break glass very well. They ricochet back at the shooter pretty hard though.

This:

Unlike what some people who seem to know it all say, this WILL take down a human with one shot.

Is what I have a problem with.

This statement is pure unadulterated garbage. I know because I have shot people with pepper balls and guess what happened? Jack and shit. Hell, some people use them as regular paintball guns for crying out loud.

Bottom line, anything that relies on only pain compliance to incapacitate is not guaranteed]/i] to stop anything in one round. I have seen guy's shrug of 40mm sponge rounds, 12g less lethal bean bags, and pepper balls. Barring a CNS hit, nothing you can hold in 2 hands is guaranteed to stop a determined attacker in one shot. Nothing. And a FN303 round can't get to the CNS unless it has easy access - like the girl in Boston that took one in the eye.

If handgun, shotgun, and rifle rounds routinely fail to stop determined attackers, a paintball on steroids won't either. Sorry.

• Like 1

I was considering getting a paintball pistol, with pepper balls.

I live in a small ranch house, so if anyone did break in I wouldn't have time to get a gun out of the safe. I also have 3 kids so I'm not comfortable with having a loaded gun in a speed vault.

Do you think the paintball gun could buy me enough time to get to a real one?

Tazer s are gonna be legal, but somebody is prolly gonna get a dart( probe) in the eye.

I have mixed feelings about telling an 11 year old how to operate a gun when he has 2 younger siblings, and younger/less mature friends. "I know a secret." "What?" "I can't tell you." "Cmon." Or any number of other kid scenarios. Biometric safe seems to be the way to go.

I guess it all boils down to the maturity of the children at that age.

I was shooting BB guns at 5.

Dad gave me my first .22 at 6.

Killed my first deer (with a .243) at 7.

definitely, I started around 5 with an air rifle and before I was 10 I was shooting unsupervised in the backyard .22 range.

I have mixed feelings about telling an 11 year old how to operate a gun when he has 2 younger siblings, and younger/less mature friends. "I know a secret." "What?" "I can't tell you." "Cmon." Or any number of other kid scenarios. Biometric safe seems to be the way to go.

I never said to trust the 11 year old with a loaded gun... I said to introduce them to firearms. That means be a responsible adult and teach them things that can go with them for the rest of their lives. It is still the responsibility of the adult to secure the firearm. You don't just hand the keys to your car to a 17 year old first time driver, correct? You try to instill some responsibility prior to that point. Leaving car keys out is more dangerous that a loaded gun in a safe that cannot be accessed by your children.

When you hide something away from kids, they will seek them out. Showing them what it is takes a good amount of curiosity out of the equation. But starting good firearms respect at a young age will result in respect for them as they get older.

As people have mentioned, there are plenty of us that have been introduced to firearms at those ages (even closer to the 5 year old). I was shooting .22s at that age. My parents kept guns in the house for protection, and I never had the desire to pull one out to screw around with. You know how you know a kid is ready? Hand them a gun, and the first thing they do is check it to make sure it is unloaded. Hell, there are adults that barely do that... and I'm sure most of those that don't didn't have any introduction to firearms as children (or a piss poor one). Even with all the requirements are most ranges regarding safety (videos, wavers, R/Os), there are still people that had to buy an AR after the Newtown shooting, who still muzzle sweep other shooters with loaded rifles. Again, I doubt those people were brought up with the same respect for firearms that some of us have... or I wouldn't be muzzle swept with a 5.56mm that had the safety off.

I never said to trust the 11 year old with a loaded gun... I said to introduce them to firearms. That means be a responsible adult and teach them things that can go with them for the rest of their lives. It is still the responsibility of the adult to secure the firearm. You don't just hand the keys to your car to a 17 year old first time driver, correct? You try to instill some responsibility prior to that point. Leaving car keys out is more dangerous that a loaded gun in a safe that cannot be accessed by your children.

When you hide something away from kids, they will seek them out. Showing them what it is takes a good amount of curiosity out of the equation. But starting good firearms respect at a young age will result in respect for them as they get older.

As people have mentioned, there are plenty of us that have been introduced to firearms at those ages (even closer to the 5 year old). I was shooting .22s at that age. My parents kept guns in the house for protection, and I never had the desire to pull one out to screw around with. You know how you know a kid is ready? Hand them a gun, and the first thing they do is check it to make sure it is unloaded. Hell, there are adults that barely do that... and I'm sure most of those that don't didn't have any introduction to firearms as children (or a piss poor one). Even with all the requirements are most ranges regarding safety (videos, wavers, R/Os), there are still people that had to buy an AR after the Newtown shooting, who still muzzle sweep other shooters with loaded rifles. Again, I doubt those people were brought up with the same respect for firearms that some of us have... or I wouldn't be muzzle swept with a 5.56mm that had the safety off.

You're right. Gun safety is a complex issue, however. More complex than memorizing rules. Every person is different too. I learned safety from our rifle instructor, a retired army sgt. One mil-sci test was devoted to it and infractions at our range carried serious consequences. 

Yet if you take the 250 freshman in my class I wonder how much of that training stuck, even among the shooters, 48 years later? How many still know the latin word for "farmer" or can define a mathematical function? There's also personality. I cheer like crazy when I read about a 10 year old girl putting some holes into a home invader but lots of young people are troubled and probably shouldn't have access to guns.

There's also the question of, for want of a better term, equipment. The 500 or so accidental gun deaths in this country is minuscule compared with almost any other accident category but like suicide (NOT trivial) they are a dark cloud on our gun culture. I believe both could be cut in half easily. Topic of another thread perhaps. 

If paintball guns could be used in defense PRNJ would have banned them by now....that should sum it up ....

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

They tried to do just that.  Ray Gong had to take one to the gut in the courtroom to prove they weren't lethal.

• Like 1

when i was paint balling i got challenged to "civil war" a few times. basically its a duel where you fire one shot at one another, take a tep closer and repeat untill someone cries uncle. ive never lost one and have gotten real close to my opponent in it. while not peper balls that should tell you that it wouldnt really dissuade me from doing anything being hit in close, and im not high on drugs or adrenaline like your potential target may be.

Part of the problem is that my wife grew up in a home with guns, none of which were locked up.

So now we are at the other extreme.

I "hide in plain sight".  You can buy some decent sub compact 9's and place them throughout the house.  Be smart and keep your mouth shut where they are, besides your wife obviously.  I'm not a fan of those mirrors with the magnet lock gizmos.  A hinged picture or holster screwed under a drawer works for me.  I also put boxes of ammo in locked pistol cases.  lol