this_is_nascar

Realistic Next-Step Up from .22LR Rifle

Everyone understands what makes the .22LR rifle desirable. The availability of ammo, the small size of the ammo, the cost of the ammo and the overall low-cost of the rifle itself. In addition, a .22LR rifle is just fun to shoot. Keeping all that in mind, with all of those positive traits, what's the next realistic step-up? Would it be a .22-magnum? Something else? I understand there's no correct answer and that opinions will vary based on needs, wants and desires. It would be for basic low-cost plinking and target shooting, but still achieve the "something different than a 22" requirement.

I would say .223 rifles, since ammo is common, I see it more often than .22 magnum. Plus a lot of rifles shoot it, and it's a good round.

If you wanted to take a larger step-up, I'd say go for the 8mm Mauser, not as cheap, but the recoil isn't really that bad in my opinion, plus that's a fun thing to shoot in my opinion.

Depends on if you want to go modern or surplus. A mosin is a great next step, since ammo is uber cheap, or an SKS which also shoots cheap ammo. If you go modern, I would look to a rifle chambered in .223.

9mm carbine!

Relatively cheap ammo that is plentiful and a selection of guns & price ranges. Nothing wrong with HG & rifle ammo coming out of the same box and less noise than a .223 or 7.62x39.

AND no range restrictions for indoor ranges that don't allow rifles since it's a HG round.......

A .17HMR is a super accurate plinker and is still pretty low is cost. If you are looking for lower cost and longer distance rifle up to about 200 yards I would go with a .223 but keep in mind it will destroy just about any plinker rated for .22LR. If you are getting into hunting look at a shotgun since its low cost and shoots many different types of ammo including slugs, buckshot and birshot.

A .17HMR is a super accurate plinker and is still pretty low is cost. If you are looking for lower cost and longer distance rifle up to about 200 yards I would go with a .223 but keep in mind it will destroy just about any plinker rated for .22LR. If you are getting into hunting look at a shotgun since its low cost and shoots many different types of ammo including slugs, buckshot and birshot.

+1 to that. I went a different way after my first .22 and opted for a 12ga pump instead of another rifle as my next purchase. The .22 is fun, but nothing like the feeling of blasting away with a shotgun, and it won't bust the budget either. And the shotgun cured me of any misplaced recoil aversion as well.

What do you have in .22LR? This doesn't really answer your question (the answers above are good ones), but why not consider getting something different in the same caliber. As you note, ammo doesn't get any cheaper than that, and a new gun in a different configuration could re-inject the fun.

What do you have in .22LR?  This doesn't really answer your question (the answers above are good ones), but why not consider getting something different in the same caliber.  As you note, ammo doesn't get any cheaper than that, and a new gun in a different configuration could re-inject the fun.
How about improving your skills on the .22lr .Enter some steel silhouette matches , target matches ect ect
Two very important points and suggestions. I really appreciate all the feedback.Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

My step after getting three .22LR rifles was to go to a Savage .223 bolt action. I also purchased a Mosin Nagant, which is dirt cheap, and ammo is extremely inexpensive when you get the mildly corrosive milsurp.

You might want to look for something that can take .223 and 5.56mm....I often find better deals on the 5.56mm that my Savage can't use. The more common the caliber, the better off you'll be. Nothing will be .22 cheap, but common (especially milsurp) calibers will be available most places and will be cheapest.

I am looking into various varmint rounds, from various .17s, .204, .243, .22-250, .220...but I think I'll stick to .223 for some time...and I did pick up another .22LR rifle in July...I still have fun with the .22s and I can get 500 rounds worth of trigger time for the same price as 50 rounds of .223...

I was looking for a bolt rifle with a little more kick than .22, I went to check out the 17hmr but the ammo cost turned me off for the time being, 22 mag is also just as much I believe.

9mm carbine or SKS would be my choice, or maybe a lever action that shoots .38/.357

Hipoint 995ts a9mm carbine that can be had for about $300. Accurate and reliable . Fast sight acquisition you wont really need any optics for man sized targets. There are other 9mm carbine choices that will be more expensive, prettier and sexier than the 995ts . Check out the nutnfancy project where he evaluated the 995ts in his enviable desert range. And also check out the Hipoint forum.